It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Holograms Debut With Jessica Yellin Figure

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

CNN Holograms Debut With Jessica Yellin Figure

www.huffingtonpost.com

CNN debuted its holographic correspondents Tuesday night shortly after 7PM Eastern. The first hologram was one of reporter Jessica Yellin, who was reporting from Chicago.

Wolf Blitzer welcomed the holographic Yellin saying, "Jessica, you're a terrific hologram, thank you so much."

BLITZER: You saw Jessica Yellin over at Grant Park just a little while ago when we were talking to her. We're going to do something that's never been done on television before. We're going to bring her in from Chicago into "The Situation Room" -- into the "CNN Election Center" -- excuse me -- right now. I want you to watch what we're about to do, because you've never seen anything like this on television.

JESSICA YELLIN, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Hi, Wolf.

BLITZER: All right. Big round of applause. We did it. There she is, Jessica Yellin.

I know you're in Chicago, but we've done something, a hologram, we've beamed you in. We beamed you in here into the "CNN Election Center."

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I missed that.

Have we really made that much progress with holograms? I am amazed. i would upload the video clip but I don't know how.

I am a little slow with things like that.

Still the video is quite impressive.

One of the interesting things about holograms is basically you can fracture the broadcast into a gazillion different pieces and each one will contain all the info to reconstruct the whole image.

This is how we will keep our politicians like president safe... send holograms.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That is well cool!

Most definately a bonus from a security factor for some VIP's as far as personal appearances is concerned.

One thing to think about though, how easy is it to fake a hollagram? How would we know if this really was Jessica Yellin reporting from Chicago, or if it is something that was just projected from the studio?

What i am getting at is, could we see this being used to fool he public for some reason? Wouldn't be the first time a hollagram has been used to fool someone would it?

Video looks real good though, very Star Wars.

CX.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I was watching that and started cracking up at how fake it was. Please tell me you guys don't believe that was real.
It was so bad and ridiculous watching that twit Wolf Blitzer talking to a supposed hologram that was not really there that i spit my coffee out. I said to the little woman that John Stewart of the daily show is going to have a field day with that tonight.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There's a first time for everything. CNN took one giant leap for media kind.

I thought it was cool. Something different for once.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I wish they could improve the quality and get rid of the light blue fuzz around her.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Haha it was pretty cool and unexpected. When he was saying that we'd never seen anything like it on TV before I was like "What the hell could they possibly be doing?". Then she beamed in but she had a blueish-white outline around her the entire time. It was kind of Star-Trekki. Her movement was lagging a bit as well, but it was definitely a cool thing to see. Hopefully the technology will become more advanced soon and they'll start to use it on CNN more often.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
WOW!! Is she really a hologram? I missed the part when Wolf said that. I am quite impressed with that kind of projection. cool stuff!!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hmm...I'm having a hard time believing this is more than a ploy for ratings during the competitive election night time-slot. It looks to me like a glorified green screen act, where Blitzer is pretending he's looking at and having a conversation with her, but in fact her only presence in the visual sense is what they transposed over the broadcast.

I just don't buy it. It's a major news outlet...they wouldn't debut such a technology and not make a much...much bigger deal about it!

And if I'm right, which I think I am, they really should look up the definition of a hologram, because it's just plainly...not a hologram.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yeah it's just a green screen tech with a few camera angles. the whole set they are in is fake. it's called a virtual set with multiple camera angles. nothing new here.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Uh.. that was not a hologram.. that was Wolf talking to thin air while she is pasted into the screen digitally .. sorta like split camera only one image over laps another.

Not an actual hologram!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
ya, I saw history in the making. She described it as cameras going around her, and it looked pretty real. I give them credit. Can't wait to see what they have in a few years

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
So was that holographic image inserted into the live video broadcast feed, or was the hologram visible in the studio - meaning, could Wolf actually see her image where we could see it?

If Wolf could indeed see her there, then it's pretty impressive. If not, it's nothing more than a live 3d green-screen effect.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

NO... I just saw Anderson Cooper projected an Obama supporter to CNN studio. He also said more Hologram projections to come.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
missed the first one but I just saw Anderson Cooper talking to Will I Am via 'hologram'. pretty interesting. but yeah it looked like he was 'cut and pasted' onto the screen

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This isn't a true hologram, as I've worked with them in stage productions. The best hologram tech is Musion Eyeliner, which is what The Gorillaz performances are projected with . . . also YouTube "Diesel Fashion Show Hologram" . . . some of the best interaction I've seen with HG tech.

This CNN bit isn't projected, so it's not really a HG. This is simply a video feed and a scrim or electrostatic material that receives the signal . . .

CNN's holographic election coverage is fancy pantsy, but how did they manage to send 3D 360 degree footage of virtual correspondent Jessica Yellin from Chicago all the way to the station's election center in NY? As Arthur C. Clarke says, Magic. A magic made possible from technology Vizrt and SportVu with the help of forty-four HD cameras and twenty computers. Here are the details.

source

At least CNN is trying to do something besides have four people yell at each other, like the other coverage teams.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
CNN is trying to wow us with technology..but I'm afraid the hologram is not a hologram. They are talking to nothing in the studio and with space age computation machines (computers) they insert an image of a guy being recorded on a green screen.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Looks like its been there for a while.. Check the video link below.

www.youtube.com...

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Looks like a green-screen effect to me, given that mankind has not yet learnt how to effectively bend and stop light (that we know of).

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
EV . . . you are correct . . . this is nothing more than an overpriced, hi-tech, green screen routine.

However IT IS NOT a green screen . . . it's several video feeds converged and then added to the studio feed. Wolf has to look at a plasma monitor to see the effect.

[edit on 11/4/08 by solomons path]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join