It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bivvy Bags vs Tents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Over the years of being out in the wild i've mixed and matched bivvy bags or tents. I've pretty much always camped in the UK, in all seasons. In winter i always used a tent except once. The bivvy bag was not as comfortable as a tent but it kept me in relative comfort and would most certainly keep me alive all year. As long as i didn't let snow settle on me of course.

The advantage of a bivvy bag is the light weight. It really cuts down on what you need to carry around. The disadvantage is that it's slightly less comfortable, you can't store things when you're sleeping, like food, water, and you can't cook food is as much comfort as you can a tent.

So what do others here think? I have to admit i always liked a tent personally. Even in the summer i would often bring a tent along rather than a bivvy bag. However if you ever had to leave quickly and pack light then a bivvy bag really is brilliant.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
hi IR,

my bob has a tent, simply because of the extra protection from the elements it offers,storage of kit, and daft as it may sound now but the added security from it would be essential. At a push though I'd just grab my belt kit.

BUT there's nothing like camping out with a good fire going an just the elements around you. The last time I went camping was last January just after the snowfall in my parts and that was awesome. On the moors with snow around in my tent with a nice fire going and some good meat (I didn't fancy rat/pigeon stew so I bought with me some beef! cheating I know but hey it was a holiday not a nuclear war!!!). winter is my favourite time of the year, but I took a tent that time! but in the summer (weather dependant!) its rare I carry a tent at all. A simple shelter and some basics is all that's needed, a nice fire going and a good spot.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have a mil-surp 2bag+bivy that is supposed to go to -10 naked or -50 if wearing all your cold weather gear. I keep that strapped onto my BOB, which is supplemented by an action packer with a tent and tools for constructing permanent structure in an INCH situation (or if I feel like not so roughing it one weekend).

I love that bivy in cold dry weather, but if it gets wet outside, you really don't want to have to get out of your bag to get some gear(and then getting back into your bag with wet boots sucks), so really the question of preference comes down to the weather and length of stay in the wilderness.

Personally, most of my camping is now done in the low desert, so I usually take a hammock and a mosquito net or sometimes just a tarp and sleep in my clothes without a sleeping bag even, but I always have my bivy in case god decides to play games.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Personally I dont like bivvy bags. But thats just my personal opinion, some people seem to like them for their ease and ability to go lighter. In the summer, I carry a good lightweight tarp, no real need for a full blown tent, fall and winter I upgrade to a lightweight 2 person tent an a small sleeping bag.

I have tried one man tents before, but I find them simply too small to store myself and pack. Keeping your pack dry is rather important. A little extra size and even the extra weight of a two person is well worth it IMO.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think you inital statement is the best. Have both. The bivvy sack is great if you have to bug out, but if you are going to stay in one place for a bit, the Tent is a better choice IMHO just in terms of comfort etc. Also if you have small kids the tent would give them room to move etc.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
For recreational camping a tent is great.

For a solo survival situation, a tent should not be used.

It is far easier for a theif, attacker, or other person with bad intentions to sneak up on you if you are in a tent.

If you are sleeping out in the open you have a better chance of seeing or hearing the approaching person.

A hammock in a tree is one of the best survival sleeping situations. Be sure to tie a safety rope to yourself and the tree so you dont fall out!

Of course a tent is fine if there is a group and a security watch can be posted at your camp.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by craig732]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A bivvy is the last place you want to be in a heavy rain. Additionally, you have virtually no range of movement once zipped inside. I'll take my 2man go lite tent any day.

new topics

top topics

join