It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myth: More Evidence for Jesus Than Julius Caesar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I keep getting informed by Christians that there is more evidence of Jesus existing than Julius Caesar. This is of course absolute bovine excrement (sorry about the language ^_^). We have dozens of times more evidence for Caesar than we do for Christ Jesus.
We know that Julius Caesar lived from 100 to 44 BC. It would seem strange for there being next-to-no evidence for this man as from a historic stand point, he was a big man, a hot shot, a top cat - the indisputable boss cat.

He was on coins just like modern monarchs (started the trend).

We also have some stuff actually written by guy. He was witness to events that he wrote about, things that happened to his empire, he wrote about things that historians, too, spoke of such as wars.

There are also plenty of contemporary witnesses to his elitist hyjinks such as:

Marcus Tullius Cicero

In Atticus' large library, Cicero read everything that the Greek philosophers had written about overcoming grief, "but my sorrow defeats all consolation." Caesar and Brutus sent him letters of condolence.

Caius Sallust
Cornelius Nepos
Gaius Valerius Catullus
Gaius Asinius Pollio
Virgil
Ovid Naso

And those are just the contemporary witnesses. There are more almost contemporary witnesses as well.

Velleius Paterculus
Marcus Annaeus Lucanus
Plutarch of Chaeronea
Appian of Alexandria
Tranquillus Suetonius (Famous biographer of Ceaser)

...to name a few.

In fact, not only do we know that he exists, we even know what he looked like, we even know he was going bald.

So lets just put this stupid baseless claim to bed shall we, we are smarter than this.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by Good Wolf]

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Dude you really got a a serious issues with this person, Jesus Christ. You should get professional help, this is not healthy at all.

It seems that most of the threads you begin have something to do with someone you don't believe in.

Just burn down a church and get it over with.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by bruxfain]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bruxfain

Pardon? I think you are mistaken, you seem to think this a Jesus criticising thread. I haven't made any threads directly about Jesus. Do you think I hate JC? You are mistaken.

"It seems that most of the threads you begin have something to do with someone you don't believe in."

???

Rubbish!
It doesn't even sound like you viewed my threads.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that Julius Caesar had some or all African origins, basically, he was 'black' but way back then in olden times, it didn't really make a difference where you were spawned... Unlike now, which matters to some people.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Dude you really got a a serious issues with this person, Jesus Christ. You should get professional help.

LOL

What delusion...the blind follower telling a non-believer that THEY should get help, and that focusing too much attention on a subject is unhealthy...?!

WTF...what about your god and your crusade to prove every non-believer wrong...?

Bruxfain, you're a hypocrite of the lowest order...you seem the type to burn down a few churches yourself then scream, "it was an atheist that did it!"

The lengths you zealots will go to in order to feel righteous in your own beliefs...

To the OP:

Spot on!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What threads have I started promoting Jesus Christ or Christianity? After you find them please post them here for all to see. Heck post a response that I support organized religion at least. Just one.

That way everyone can see what kind of blind follower I am.

It should be comforting for Good Wolf to know that he has a potential partner in his anti-crusade.

Another, person who really needs a life.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by bruxfain]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

It seems that most of the threads you begin have something to do with someone you don't believe in.

Then I would put it on you to demonstrate how "most" of my threads are about people I "don't believe in." You are a hypocrite troll.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Okay. I better stop now or you'll begin some threads about me.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Or just report you for off topic posts, ad homin and trolling.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Attention to detail soldier....

Never used the word 'thread', but does it matter...?

Your "Posts" demonstrate a mentality convoluted with mis-understandings galore...

Kinda funny - the religious state that we non-believers need to find god and save our soul; yet, your side of the house needs to do more "soul-searching" than any other group out there...

And I need to get a life...? Dude, I enjoy life while still maintaining a very similar code of conduct as you do. I can smoke it up or drink it up without having to go and donate cash the next morning to feel better about myself...man, what a scam.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Okay. I better stop now or you'll begin some threads about me.

I forgot to mention the arrogance that accompanies believers...

But you took care of that for me, didn't you brux?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Alright, thank you 29.

But Lets get back on topic.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

I keep getting informed by Christians that there is more evidence of Jesus existing than Julius Caesar.

I'm constantly amazed,and amused,by what some Christians use as an argument.I've actually used J.Caeser as an example in some religious discussions and have lade it out in a manner similar to your OP.

I also find it ironic that they use faith in their defense of the existence of God,but they don't with Jesus.With him they seek evidence,and that which we have can be classed as circumstantial.Guess their faith just isn't strong enough.

[edit on 3-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Ahh dunno. I've talked to a lot of Christians who will appeal to faith for just about anything. Many times when talking about evidence they will say, "What if you getto heaven and he did exist." or words to that affect.

One thing that disappoints me is that this lie is handed around christian circles and not questioned even by cleaver honest christians. People with faith and no evidence will latch onto anything that affirms that faith, even if it's not based on truth.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thank you for this post. It is important to deny ignorance, whether we happen to be Christian or otherwise.

Now, how about settling that "Zeitgeist challenge" once and for all?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Wolf is fighting that war within himself...he wants so bad for the Lord to not exist so he can rest peacefully in his unbelief ...we all know this will not happen ....you will find no peace in that Wolf .... ..I pray that the Lord shows himself to you Wolf ..

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
GoodWolf.

One thing that disappoints me is that this lie is handed around christian circles and not questioned even by cleaver honest christians. People with faith and no evidence will latch onto anything that affirms that faith, even if it's not based on truth.

Very true.I'm still amazed that people don't look into such things,especially in the age of the internet when information is available in seconds.

Many Christian Faiths and church's don't encourage questioning though,in fact,some hate it.I grew up Catholic and my own priest told me to stop reading the Bible because i was asking too many questions.
He told me i could only read certain parts and only when supervised by an adult.It didn't stop me asking questions.lol.

simplynoone

Wolf is fighting that war within himself...he wants so bad for the Lord to not exist so he can rest peacefully in his unbelief ...we all know this will not happen ....you will find no peace in that Wolf .... ..I pray that the Lord shows himself to you Wolf ..

He isn't trying to disprove god or Jesus,he's talking about incorrect information used by some Christians.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Reminder:

This is a forum for discussion. This is not a forum for making unwarranted remarks toward each other.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Originally posted by Good Wolf
He was on coins just like modern monarchs (started the trend).

Not really, no.

And this isn't a 1-line post either

[edit on 4-11-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Why is this called "The Christian Myth"? I'm a Christian never doubted Caesar existed or that there was lots of evidence for his existence, he was a remarkable figure in the civilization that was the only kid on the block at that time.

As for the Carpenter from Nazareth, sure theres lots of evidence about Him, but not as much as for Caesar. There were no coins stamped with his image (that woulda kinda spoiled His saying "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar" - remember that Jesus held up one of the coins you mention?)
What is perhaps quite remarkable though is that despite this relative sparsity of evidence its not the emperor's followers who have dominated the establishment of modern civilisation. More people call themselves "Christians" than "Caesarians" - not bad for a Carpenter without the mechanisms of a fawning state to celebrate Him.

This is not a "Christian" myth, this is a myth some uneducated Christians promulgate, but hey, Christianity isn't alone in having uneducated members - a quick scan of the "myths" regularly touted against Christianity manifests that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join