It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain plans to purge CIA if elected, officials say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I am neutral on the election and am not trying to "sway" anybodies opinion ... but i just came across this article and was kind of surprised by what it said ...

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) plans to "purge" the CIA if elected Nov. 4, according to a report Sunday, potentially returning the agency to a model used during World War II. Government officials, speaking anonymously to Newsweek, "said they expect a President McCain would purge not only [CIA Director Michael] Hayden but also his two top deputies."

McCain's overall plan could be even broader -- the destruction of the entire agency in favor of a "cover-ops outfit" patterned on the Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor to the CIA former during World War II by President Franklin Roosevelt.

Little noticed comments McCain made last year called for "a small, nimble, can-do organization," that "could take risks that our bureaucracies today rarely consider taking."

Source

[edit on 2-11-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well, I think it is a good thing; kind of. Everything thing except the part about the being able to take risks that the organizations wouldn't consider today.

One positive is that they might be able to get more accurate intel. A bad thing is what exactly are these 'risks' that are not being considered?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

ya i agree it's kind of scary considering the government doesn't really have any regards to what they're 'risking', i wonder what they don't do because it's too risky ... very good ?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OSS Was considered a incompitent joke at the end of WW2,
Thus, why very relucantly Truman allowed the CIA to be created.

The CIA isnt perfect, but anything else is going to be pretty damn slow in getting up to date.

purge the CIA?

Yeah right!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
ROTFLMAO....He will rename the CIA to a different alphabet soup agency.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have been widely mocked on ATS for posting that the CIA and state department have been disloyal to the Bush whitehouse to the point of treason.

The CIA has routinely leaked white house strategy notes to members of congress, as well as the substance of anti-terrorism investigations.

Colin Powell was basically fired from Secretary of State for misrepresenting the case for invasion to the UN. It was he who insisted that the invasion of Iraq was to search for weapons of mass distruction; others, such as Rice, had always argued that the only causus Beli for the invasion was Saddam's refusal to submit to the terms of the 1991 cease-fire/surrender document.

It is obvious to an objective observer that the CIA itself orchestrated the abuses at Abu Ghraib that caused so much embarrasment for the white house. Lindie England, the only officer tried in the investigation, repeatedly testified that she was following the orders of "civilian contractors" who place themeselves in authority over her. Her testimony regarding the contracters was repeatedly stricken from the record or suppressed. It was these contractors who suggested that all army personnel with actual MP training be transferred away from the prison, so that the army fall guys would be less likely to refuse on ethical grounds, since they'd had no training as MP's.

The whole "plame scandal" was a CIA-manufactured "gotcha moment" that Rove narrowly avoided stepping into. The fact is that Plame was not a "secret agent" of the CIA meant that Rove didn't commit a crime by revealing the name---also because plame was not secret about the work, either. And what was plame supposedly doing?----looking for sales of yellow cake uranium from africa to iraq--what a coincidence--the very same investigation that turned out to be completely bogus, yet one which the CIA kept insisting bush mention in his state of the union address!

The CIA-supported 9/11 commision is another example of the CIA's attempt to exonerate the Clinton whitehouse of gross ineptitude, meanwhile tarring Bush with the same brush.

And then bush even caved into the CIA's wildest demand--that CIA be put in charge of the FBI and the whole US intelligence community, both foreign and domestic. This greatly reduces the chance that ANY future president will really be in control at the CIA.

The CIA has become an organ of the Democrat party. Imagine what it would mean for another supposedly non-partisan government agency, say the GAO, to refuse to serve the president they answer to. you can imagine the chaos this must create.

The CIA is rapidly becoming a new praetorian guard. IF they are not stopped soon, THEIR vote will be the only one that matters in selecting future presidents.

all the best.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

There is no telling this is our government.

Dr. Strangcraft's story just kind of cemented my thought on Bush being set up to fail ever sense he took office. Makes sense too.

Bush 41 was the director of the CIA at one time. Bush 43 seems like he might have been the black sheep of the family and the CIA set him up.

what also makes sense is who would really benefit from the Patriot Act and Military Commissions Act. The CIA would, and Bush putting them in charge of the FBI and all those groups is icing on the cake.

I'll stop here to keep from going to far off topic.

The risks I'm thinking of are more of 'suicide' missions. The CIA can already operate inside the US even though they aren't supposed too. McCain also did 5 years as a POW I think the last thing he wants to see is Americans needlessly being spied on and if the CIA went rouge then well we have our answer.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101

ya i agree it's kind of scary considering the government doesn't really have any regards to what they're 'risking', i wonder what they don't do because it's too risky ... very good ?

What they "do not do" is basically follow through on what they start. Bureaucrats often get involved in the middle of MIL and INTEL Ops, and mess everything up for ridiculous reasons. Vietnam is the Prime example of what happens when a Bureaucrat controls Everything.

As for the Agency, I can see Senator McCain reforming it, but he will not "destroy it" as the quote entails, for its complete destruction would leave us amazingly vulnerable.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The C.I.A. was undergoing dismantlement by J.F.K. and we all know, McCain knows what happens when anyone gets in their way. Jimmie Carter's daughter Amy, was arrested and jailed for protesting C.I.A. recruiters being on the college campus that she attended.... The C.I.A. works for the C.I.A. and for the benefit of the invisible powers behind the government.... If McCain could do it, Palin would end up sitting behind the big desk in the oval office before the next elections, and the whole country would go to hell.

new topics

top topics

join