It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASS TREE COLLAPSE-3000 trees instantly fall-remote region of Nepal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

MASS TREE COLLAPSE-3000 trees instantly fall-remote region of Nepal

www.earthweek.com

Villagers in western Nepal’s Banke district say that nearly 3,000 trees in a single forest fell over within a 10-minute period, according to a report on the London-based eKantipur Web site.
Initial reports said there were no strong winds at the time of the collapses on Sept. 8, leading to speculations that the trees were knocked down by a supernatural force.

Mystified residents said that the local District Forest Office (DFO) appeared to be taking no action to determine what caused the phenomenon.

But a subsequent report said that a DFO official determined that a sudden whirlwind was responsible for the tree collapses in the Shrikrishna community forest.

Gopal Chaudhary, who said he was grazing his cattle near the forest when the trees fell, was quoted by eKantipur as also saying that a “strong gale” uprooted the trees.

Map: Earthweek
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nowpublic.com

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The people here are superstitious and it is very remote. Although it does not sound like some kind of corrupt wood harvest. 3000 trees is a lot.
Anyone heard more about this story since?

"3000 trees are estimated to have mysteriously collapsed at a forest in mid-western Nepal. For no apparent reason, all of them just fell down in the time stretch of 10 minutes as reported by eyewitnesses. The locals were completely dumbfounded by the mass tree collapse and attributed it to supernatural powers"

www.earthweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well 3000 trees is not all that much.
If it was 30,000 trees then it would be alot.
It could have been many things that caused this.
Why do they not want to investigate it?
Someone should investigate this really.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If the trees were uprooted you would expect natural forces but if snapped off at the trunk then its more likely to be a man made force. Any pics available yet?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I do think it was a situation of some kind "Freak" natural act.

But a subsequent report said that a DFO official determined that a sudden whirlwind was responsible for the tree collapses in the Shrikrishna community forest.

Gopal Chaudhary, who said he was grazing his cattle near the forest when the trees fell, was quoted by eKantipur as also saying that a “strong gale” uprooted the trees.

There are some strange effects that the nature can produce, and by all account's, this one is surely to be added to the book's of "Strange Natural Phenomenon."

Good find OP!!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sounds slightly similar to the Tunguska event of 1927 though, on a small scale.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
A lot of strange events recently.

Read this piece the other day which seemed a bit baffling.

BOOTHBAY HARBOR, Maine—Meteorologists are baffled by rapid tidal changes along the Maine coast, which damaged some boats and piers.

Witnesses say low tide turned and became high within a matter of minutes on Tuesday afternoon. The changes occurred six or seven times. The National Weather Service says reports from several locations indicated that water levels fell and rose from 4 feet to as much as 12 feet during the event.

www.boston.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Could be a HAARP defect. Probably messed up the power levels...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Good find, Im intrigued by this because 3000 trees, contrary to others thoughts is a lot of wood.

A very rough estimate, off the top of my head I may add, is that if each tree had an average of 1 metre circumeference of free ground round about it, then we could be talking about a 1,000 sq metre wipe out !

Please feel free to shoot down my maths but it does seem one large area to be hit by whatever it was, even in a timescale of 10 minutes .

Respects

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So trees fell in the forest....Did they make a sound?

The first thing I thought of was Tunguska, but I would like to see the pics if there are any. I'm not going to jump to a freak phenominon just yet, but that many in 10 minutes is more than can be done with machinery...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
its the GFL !!!!

erm wernt they supposed to show up in denver?

perhaps these supreme beings need a map

but seriously does anyone know if they were uprooted or the trunks snapped.

if they were uprooted id say its possible the soil wasnt sufficient to hold them in the ground, 3000 within 10 min it still would make a hell of a coincedence.

if the trunks snapped ... your guess is as good as mine disease, insects but still a hell of a coincedence....

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It almost sounds like the Tunguska Blast- Which was thought to be a comet, small black hole, ufo crash, etc..

This event might be the same as the Tunguska event, but right now, anything's possibly

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

From same article:

A similar event occurred on Jan. 9, 1926, in Bass Harbor, the statement said

Maybe its a pre-market crash sign!

Really tho, very strange..any more info on this? No earthquakes, it sited possible sliding earth down embankments/canyons. Wonder if other coastlines recently have noticed this.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Interestingly, the sources I found for this say the event occurred on September 11th, but there have been no subsequent articles explaining what could have happened. Can anyone find anything about the follow-up?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I’m too damn tired to check right now but I wonder if there were any seismic anomalies for that area one the day of the alleged felling. It seems to me that it might be the result of a minor earthquake that caused a mudslide.

Interesting indeed!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

That's what i was thinking the article mentioned the trees being "uprooted" so it's possible this area was right on or near a fault line, but then again someone would have felt it especially the farmer who was grazing his cattle and the tremors would have spooked the cows.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It would be great to see some photos.
The direction of the fall would really help.
But you can really get a lot of trees in a single square mile.

One thing that can cause a big wind like this is an avalanche, or landslide.
If these were in a canyon or valley of some sort. The displacement of air, caused by collapse into the bottoms, could blow out a huge crop of trees.
No storms required.

I wonder why not much coverage since?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocco21

Maybe not, maybe the quake was very weak but just strong enough to loosen some already unstable ground.

It's just speculation but it is a possibility.

But one thing is certain. There is a scientific reason for this, not paranormal!

[edit on 3-11-2008 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one to witness does it in fact end up on ATS as a topic?????

Well I would guess natural phenomena! Geologic...sink hole...mudslide...displacement...avalanche etc etc!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Mother Nature gets up to mischief now and again. Offtopic but do you recall this one from a few years ago?

Russian lake disappears

That report is mildly embellished compared to the Russian reports (nothing like poetic licence to win ya a Pulitzer!) but it's still got the basic info - albeit a week after the fact.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join