It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This man really knew what he was talking about

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one - John Lennon

EVERYONE has heard this song. But have you ever really listened to what it is saying? I think this song answers a lot of questions.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If everyone thought the same thing, felt the same thing, then we wouldn't truly be free.

It'd also be boring.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
As much as I love the song, the man and all that...

...the man lived in several oppulant homes, in some very expensive areas.

"no possesions...unless they are mine"

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
And right now John is in that place.
Second line.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That is true, but at the same time, he didnt make music and become famous to make a lot of money. That wasnt his goal. His goal was to send a message to people through his fame. Money just came with it, and if you have money... your gonna spend it. I mean, you can donate all you want but youll still have a house and a car.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Mr. Lennon wasn't the first or the last to yearn for a more Utopian society. He just had a talent for putting his thoughts in the form of a catchy song. As for the questions it answers? To me it's more about the questions it poses.

peace

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'm saying that he mentions a lot of very good points in this song, which is why I think people need to look closer at the lyrics. If there was no heaven or hell, people would live for today, instead of worrying about what might happen to them after death which is long away. If there was no religion, people wouldnt feel so much pressure to conform to organized religion, and they could believe whatever they wanted to believe without criticism.

He made good points in the song. That is all im saying. He put it so simply, but it made a lot of sense.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

I went to church today (as I do most Sundays), after the homily Father Morrison took a moment to acknowledge all the hate that seems to be permeating (invading) our daily lives. Whether it be radio, tv or print, there seems to be a deep division and a tremendous amount of hate. He said no matter who wins on Tuesday, we all need to come together, unite as one, and go forth spreading love and acceptance.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, and I can't remember one time, not once, when anyone in any of the churches I attended, suggested that we go forth and spread anything but love and acceptance.

So I wonder, what church did John Lennon go to that gave him the impression having faith was such a bad thing?

[edit on 11/2/2008 by TheRooster]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

Nowhere in that song, or in anything else that I'v ever heard or read by John Lennon did he say that people shouldn't have faith...

He's talking about organized religion.

More hate, pain, suffering, and death have been the result of organized religion, than any nation, group, or anything else on this planet.

Since the beginning of time, more people have died at the hands of organized religion than even the nazi's could have ever dreamed of.

Again, I'v never heard John Lennon speak badly of faith.
Having faith in god doesn't mean that you have to subscribe to any organized religion.

"I haven't got any sort of dream of a physical heaven where there's lots of chocolate and pretty women in nightgowns, playing harps," he said. "I believe you can make heaven within your own mind. The kingdom of heaven is within you, Christ said, and I believe that." - John Lennon

"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong." - John Lennon

“Community praying is probably very powerful. … I’m just against the hypocrisy and the hat-wearing and the socializing and the tea parties,” - John Lennon

Call him a druggie, a degenerate, a hippie, whatever makes you sleep better at night.
The truth is that the day he was murdered, mankind lost one of it's greatest, most prolific, and free minded members.
The world is a poorer place without him.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by ashamedamerican]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
Since the beginning of time, more people have died at the hands of organized religion than even the nazi's could have ever dreamed of.

Really? Organized religion has killed more people than say... oh I don't know... abortion? Hmmmmm.

How many John Lennon's do you supposed we've lost to abortion?

More hate, pain, suffering, and death have been the result of organized religion, than any nation, group, or anything else on this planet.

Maybe you're right, I've just never personally experienced it in my 44 years on this planet, and I pray to God I never do.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster

Really? Organized religion has killed more people than say... oh I don't know... abortion? Hmmmmm.

How many John Lennon's do you supposed we've lost to abortion?

Maybe you're right, I've just never personally experienced it in my 44 years on this planet, and I pray to God I never do.

Im gonna have to agree with ashamedamerican.

Do you even know where religions came from? Do you realize all the wars that have been caused due to religion? Religion has its up sides.. but it has many more downfalls in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan123

So then in the absence of organized religion which do you think would prevail?

Love

or

Anarchy?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I believe people are smart enough to know how to balance their own good and evil personalities.

We dont need religion to teach us that.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
I believe people are smart enough to know how to balance their own good and evil personalities.

We dont need religion to teach us that.

And WHO would teach us that?

Trust me, if these were innante qualities, mankind would have no need for a rule of law, law enforcement, prison's, etc...?

My opinion is this: In todays world, radical factions of most religions are responsible for much of the death and carnage, not mainstream religion. Within any belief there must be a balance. I am a firm believer in the statement "It takes a village to raise a child". The villagers (society) IMHO, are much better off having a set of guiding principals that most, if not all, believe in and adhere to. Whether that is a belief in a higher being, an idol etc... so long as you do not infringe upon a persons right to worship, there should be no conflict.

But to expect each person born unto a woman (or test tube) to be "smart enough to know how to balance their own good and evil personalities" is lofty at best.

[edit on 11/2/2008 by TheRooster]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Im saying there is a darkside to EVERY religion. No matter what it be. There is good in every religion, theres no denying that, but there is bad in every religion as well. And thats what im pointing out.

I believe people have a conscious and we know right from wrong. Whether we are taught it or not. Thats like saying a child who grew up with horrible , abusive parents is going to wind up the same way... but its not true. Sometimes it is.. but for the most part, they end up NOT wanting to be like their parents. You know why? Because we are our own people.. we make our own choices.. and we know right from wrong, no matter what we are taught, or what religion might teach us.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Im saying there is a darkside to EVERY religion. No matter what it be. There is good in every religion, theres no denying that, but there is bad in every religion as well. And thats what im pointing out.

I believe people have a conscious and we know right from wrong. Whether we are taught it or not. Thats like saying a child who grew up with horrible , abusive parents is going to wind up the same way... but its not true. Sometimes it is.. but for the most part, they end up NOT wanting to be like their parents. You know why? Because we are our own people.. we make our own choices.. and we know right from wrong, no matter what we are taught, or what religion might teach us.

Knowing right from wrong is one thing. What religion gives ME is a lot, but one of the main things I get from it is the wisdom of knowing the outcome, if you cannot control the impulse of wrong.

But of course these are words of someone who goes to church. Have you been lately?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I dont need to go to church to listen about the consequences of my actions. I'd rather live my life for today, and enjoy my life.. instead of focusing on what will happen years from now after I die. Honestly, I could care less. And that is the difference between you and I. Whereas you live life for what will happen to you in your after life... I live life for today, and tomorrow.

I have practiced many religions, and I speak from my own experience. Religion taught me nothing about being a better person. It just made me terrified to ever make a mistake. And that isnt realistic. People make mistakes, and people make good choices. Thats life.

All I gained from going to church was good food at brunches.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one - John Lennon

EVERYONE has heard this song. But have you ever really listened to what it is saying? I think this song answers a lot of questions.

Intresting post! Lennon was a great man! He was an idealist who acted out on his ideas. This man did know what he was talking about and i wish more people were like him. Star and Flag for the op

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You don't need to go to church, or be a member of an organized religion to have faith, or worship god.

Acts 17:24-25 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

I subscribe to NO organized religion, I do not go to church.
I don't need to go to a supposed "house of god" to worship him (or her) or have faith.

How does a priests telling you that you're a sinner, and threatening you with eternal damnation in hell make you any closer to god?
My personal opinion is that god would be ashamed of the organized religions today.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

You don't need to go to church, or be a member of an organized religion to have faith, or worship god.

Acts 17:24-25 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

I subscribe to NO organized religion, I do not go to church.
I don't need to go to a supposed "house of god" to worship him (or her) or have faith.

How does a priests telling you that you're a sinner, and threatening you with eternal damnation in hell make you any closer to god?
My personal opinion is that god would be ashamed of the organized religions today.

That is exactly the same point I was trying to make. Going to church only frightens you into being a good person. Whereas having your own beliefs allows you to be free and believe what you want to without feeling like you are being judged for every move you make.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join