It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lifiting weights and soreness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Over the past two weeks, I have begun working out for the first time in a long time. Normally, when I have decided to work out in the past, I've overdone it very badly, to the point of being unable to walk properly the next day. The incredible soreness from working out really dampened my ardor to work out. Well, here is the thing. Now I've been having a glass of Powdered Isolated Whey Protein, mixed with milk for flavor and a bit more protein. I've discovered that I really haven't been able to make myself sore anymore. My more recent workouts I have really upped the intensity level, and still no soreness. Mind everyone, I am not complaining, I'm just curious as to why. It's actually quite great. I've begun to notice increases in size and strength, I can even flew muscles in my neck and back that I haven't ever been able to. So, is it the protein drink?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The soreness was probably due to inactivity more than anything
Now you're active again it'll be harder to get that 'Please kill me' feeling.

You should be able to prevent it by warming up and taking time to cool down after a session anyway.

Warm ups prevent injury and cool downs help to ..
remove lactic acid and co2 from settling in the muscles.
prevents 'blood pooling' (feel dizzy after a hard session?wooooo!!)
gently stretches the muscle to stop soreness and keep flexibility
eases strain on tendons that taut muscles will cause.

I started back in summer after a loooong period out due to injuries/ops
Boy it's great to be back though.

What's your current level and aims/target?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
My current level, unfortunately, is quite low. I stand about six foot four and weigh in at about 315 pounds. The good news about that, though, is even though I didn't work out for years and years, I have maintained that weight for a solid decade. It gives me a little bit of a hope of having a decent metabolism, as I have eaten quite unrepentant all my life, and I'm approaching twenty-seven. I've always been naturally fairly strong, though not as strong as a man my size should be. To boot, all my life I've been thought of as carrying my weight well. Most people, when asked, would say that I weigh about 225 pounds. In any case, I realize that soon, what metabolism I might have is about to slow down, as I approach middle age. I feel that now is the time, and like I've said I've begun working out. Currently, I'm not too worried about diet, as I still need to get into shape. I'm planning on going to my colleges fitness center tomorrow to make use of their vastly better equipment. I'm planning on working the chest/back tomorrow. I'm looking forward to benching for the first time in a long time. And as for goals, I'm looking forward to just getting into shape, and increasing size and strength. I like the idea of being as strong as my frame says I should be. In any case, thanks for the encouragement!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sigfrodr Currently, I'm not too worried about diet, as I still need to get into shape. I

I'm looking forward to benching for the first time in a long time. And as for goals, I'm looking forward to just getting into shape, and increasing size and strength. I like the idea of being as strong as my frame says I should be. In any case, thanks for the encouragement!

No probs.

Word of advice from a nutrition point of view.
Be VERY 'worried' about diet.

Don't try and 'bulk up' on food/carbs like lot of bodybuilders do.You'll only pile on bodyfat with extra calories and it just doesn't work anyway.
Get a body fat reading,
www.brianmac.co.uk...
work out your maintenance calorie rate and STICK TO IT.
(Not BMI they are just a generalization and way out of date)

Eat regular and healthy. 5-6 times a day.
This keeps your blood sugar regular and will stop any cravings to binge on whatever's handy.Drink a glass of water with every meal.
If you hate that tap water taste,get a cheap filter jug to get rid of the crap they put in there to poison us,keep in in the fridge so it's always yummy.cold and fresh.

Building muscle requires a constant supply of protein.which the body doesn't store in 'reserves' so make sure you have protein with every 'mini-meal'

Biggest point is.
If man made it..DON'T EAT IT.
If it doesn't look like it did when it came from nature,then it's rubbish.

We are being poisoned with processed foods.
All you do with them is clog your 'engine' with bad 'petrol'

It's really hard for manufactures to disguise the fact that you're paying for a load of preservatives and HVO treated crap.So they usually put it in a pretty packet.DON'T FALL FOR IT.

Try it for two weeks with natural food,then try two weeks with supermarket garbage and see how your performance in the gym suffers.

If you want to lose weight..and by that I mean body fat.
Keep it sensible
Fad diets don't work,they are always temporary losses and they are mainly water loss which you will regain with re-hydration.

Lose about 300 calories off your daily maintenance number and you will lose a pound of FAT every 11-12 days.
WITHOUT exercise too.
Any more than that will cause your metabolism to drop and adjust to a decreased food supply,losing lean mass which again lowers your metabolism.

Regular resistance training will keep that metabolism high.
Aerobic training is good for 'fitness' but doesn't have that same effect.

More than anything enjoy it though.
Once you start subconsciously convincing yourself,going to the gym sux,you lose some of the euphoric effects of that adrenaline boost.

Hey waddya know? It's almost time to check out the hotties in spandex already. Woohoo!!

Have fun.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Muscle soreness, also known as DOMS, is due to your body doing something that it's unaccustomed to. It's not really known really what causes it, but you will get to a point where it's not an issue anymore.

Now if you were to drastically change your workout then you would probably experience DOMS again. It's part of the way the body adapts to new physical stressors.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

My more recent workouts I have really upped the intensity level, and still no soreness.

You won't be sore unless you do something different. Being sore doesn't necessarily mean that you're doing something right, it just means your body hasn't adapted to the movement/exercise.

I've begun to notice increases in size and strength, I can even flew muscles in my neck and back that I haven't ever been able to. So, is it the protein drink?

The protein, whey protein isolate, may have a significant effect on your gains depending on how much you take and when you take it. I would actually blame your gains on a combination of the supplemented protein and this:

My more recent workouts I have really upped the intensity level,

-Dev

top topics

join