It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Am I

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

It reminds me of a scene from Anger Management (good movie if you havn't seen it). A counsler is asking Adam Sandler who he is, and he replys by saying what he does, what he likes, etc, and the counsler keeps telling him not to say what he does for a living or what he likes to do but to answer who he is.
None of us can really give an answer to that question.
It goes beyond a person's occupation, hobbies, passions, etc.
Maybe no one can give an answer because there isn't one.
Or maybe we know less about ourselves (as humans) than we would like to admit.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

UGH!! I just posted this really cool response and it got booted, no swears words in it. Okay here goes if i can remember everything. i feel like i don't who I am all the time. I am not sure what I like to do, who i really am, or why i do the things that I do. I cannot make a decision to save my life. For example, going clothes shopping is very hard for me, because I have no idea what I like. Will i look good in this, i don't know? i try on clothes and decide, do i really need this, does this really look good on me, and my answer is always no. This is probably why i don't even own much clothes. All of my clothes are bought by my husband, i rarely by myself clothing. Another example, and I hate this question with a passion, what do i want to do? My husband asks me this all the time, and i say look dude, you ask me this all the time and you know the answer, we'll do whatever you want to do, because I have no idea what I want to do? Yes, i get very angry and upset over that question. We always do what my husband wants to do all the time, sometimes he gets mad at me, but most of the time he is happy and content, and if he is happy and content then I am happy and content, understand? Oh same thing with television, he always asks me what do you want to watch and I say whatever you want to watch is fine, and usually we do like the same shows, except for stupid car shows like Top Gear, they bore the piss out of me. that's all i can answer for now.

I have been pondering over who I am for years, and have gone through different stages in my life, I've played the slut card, the goth card, conservative card, and non conservative card, nothing seems to fit me properly, which is probably why i have no religion as i cannot decide which one fits me right.

So yeah i have no idea who i am, great thanks for getting my brain to work hard.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

It's just realizing there is more to you than meets the eye. Good to be aware of your true self, but also enjoy the ability to be alive physically.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I've had this happen to me almost all my life (as much as I can remember).

It is exactly how most people have explained it.

For the sake of my thoughts on it (which are similar with one other person who posted), I will restate what happens to me...

I stare into a mirror and suddenly, I feel like I'm looking at my "outer shell", almost as if I am then my spirit/soul, looking at my physical body. I say to myself sometimes "This is who I am" or "This is what I look like". It seems so foreign and strange but it does not frighten me, nor does it make me happy. It's more of a revelation to my spiritual self/soul that this is my body. It tends to last as long as I'd like it to, until I walk away or literally stop, then at that point I feel as myself again and not as I was a second ago.

I strongly have always believed that it was my spiritual being/soul looking at my physical body. Even more interesting, in the bible when Jesus resurrected and showed himself to his diciples in his spiritual form, Jesus had to tell them that it was him, Jesus. Why? They knew him, so why would he have to say this? I believe it's because the spirit of one being looks different than the physical being of ones self- if that makes any sense. So it would explain why we feel like our body is so foreign because our spirit is shocked and in awe sort of, that we actually look this way compared to what we may think (what our spiritual being would think). It's our inner self (soul/spiritual being) looking at our physical body.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Sorry, should have further explained that when Jesus appeared, the diciples did not know who he was, then he told them it was him, Jesus Christ. He didn't just show up saying, "Hey what's up? It's Jesus!". He knew they didn't recognize him, so he told them that it was indeed he himself.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Who am I?

I am not my eyes, nor my mouth.
I am not this body I see from.
I am not my name or my age.
I am not my mind, nor my consciousness.
I am not these thoughts that I have.
I am not my joy or my sorrow.
I am not others opinions of me.

I am the sum of all of my parts, and yet I am each part seperately.

I am my own definition of self.

Yes, I think everyone experiences this disassociation of self at some point. An awakening that you are mortal, and this body will one day cease to be your reference point for your identity.

Perhaps at this moment you are seeing that your Self is something other than your physical body. Perhaps a reminder that it wasn't always so, and one day will not be again. If you are believer in this type of thing.

If you are not a believer in life beyond death, this experience could be a step in the search for what lies beyond this physical life. A first step in acknowledging that perhaps you do not just end with the death of your body. A longing to be more than just a face in a mirror.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
You are the culmination of your past thoughts and actions. How you decide and why shape who you are. You are also a reflection of how others see you and how they have been influenced by your actions and presence. You have a seed in you, it's from God, how you water and nurture it determines whether your crop is harvested or not.!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join