It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Tell Me What This Is, Please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
First of all, if this is in the wrong place, I apologize. Seeing as how I think something is going on in the town of Bixby, Oklahoma.. I felt it appropriate to post in the conspiracies thread.

Anyway.. can anyone tell me what this is? 3 things have happened in our town as of late. #1. I posted a thread about this, but the city is asking all residents to list the location of their shelters. That thread is Here
now the police have begun wearing military/combat gear, and then... within the last couple of days, this interesting device showed up, and I have NO idea what it is. So can anyone help me out? I'm not saying it is a Crowd Control sound device, but what else could it be? However... I do know I may be entirely wrong, so that's why I'm asking instead of just saying what it is.

Unknown Device 1

Unknown Device, 2nd Pic

I appreciate any responses. Please don't flame me, as I'm not here to be attacked or made fun of. I'm asking a sincere question. I have NO idea what this is, but for this all to be happening within the last several weeks.. I'm kinda puzzled. Also, I took this with my cell phone, so I apologize for the blurry effects.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
At the risk of looking like a goof, I'll guess that it's a mobile siren.

Like an air raid siren or something like that.

I'm not sure though, sorry

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It's a portable warning siren. Like a tornado warning, or hurricane warning siren.

Here is a picture of a fixed warning siren. It's similar looking to part of the siren in your picture.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yep, that's a Siren. It also rotates - hence the warning.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Now that we know what they are, we should probably ask why they are there...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by goldbomb444

Maybe they have to spend all the Homeland Security bucks while they still buy items of use. That air raid siren will last for decades so it's a good buy. Portable though. That does seem weirdish.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Are you new to OK, that you are unfamiliar with a tornado siren?

I'm not sure why one would think it would be something sinister.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies. Now, to answer the only question that actually seemed rude...

No, I've lived in Bixby, Oklahoma for the past 27 years. I know what a tornado siren looks like. All too well, in fact. But here's the thing. Bixby has 7 sirens that I know of. I could even tell you where they're at. And NONE of them look anything like this. In fact, there is a siren above the post office that is less than 3 blocks from the police station where I took this photo.

I'm not saying this isn't a tornado or warning siren, I was just asking what it was cuz I've never seen anything like it before. And like I just said, there are 7 sirens all over our town. It makes no sense to have a mobile one, at least not to me. They even test all 7 of them every 3rd Friday during the Summer to make sure they work right.

So anyways.. please be more polite if you're going to post here. There is no reason to be sarcastic or rude. I simply asked a question.. you can give a simple answer if you know. That's pretty simple, right?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

It looks unattended. I'd back up the old pick up truck and take it home for a close look.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
schrodingers dog

lol... it may LOOK unattended, but it literally sits in the police station parking lot. And Bixby cops don't play nice. I was very nervous just taking the picture. I wonder what my neighbors would think if a siren just started blaring in our neighborhood?

Guess all would be fine until the camo wearing cops come and remove the toy from my hands. Eh... lol

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

I really wasn't trying to be rude -- sorry.

It's just that it looks exactly like a tornado siren, and you live in OK of all places. I legitimately thought maybe you hadn't seen one before. Sirens occasionally stop working. Perhaps mobile spares would enable you to fill the gap in coverage if one or two are offline. It works just like a pager. It receives the "page" and off the siren goes.

Maybe we can all get together at Schrodinger's place and look it over
(If we put the siren unobserved in a box, ... )

I just looked up Bixby and it says they have 14 sirens.

The City of Bixby has installed several new storm sirens to our existing system for a total of 14 sirens that are placed throughout the city. The sirens are computer controlled and radio activated. Each siren has a battery backup system to ensure uninterrupted service in the event of a power failure, which is common during severe weather. The siren controls are located in the Bixby Police Department and are monitored 24 hours a day. The sirens have a silent test feature, which allows us to test them at anytime. They are tested silently every Wednesday at noon and a full test is conducted the first Friday of every month at noon. The system also allows us to activate one siren or a group of sirens in an effected area without sounding all of the sirens in the city.

www.bixby.com...

That sounds consistent with finding one at the PD, imo.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I saw one of those at my university, and was wondering what the hell it was some men were setting it up and then about 10 minutes later it went off scared the holy s**t out of everyone, and the funny part is my university is in the middle of a large city that has never had a tornado, earthquake or anytype of natural disaster besides thunderstorms, heavy rain or a blizzard like every 10 years.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That's highly interesting. See, the 14 (and wow, I had no idea we had that many!) are on HUGE poles way up in the air. They look like the typical sirens. I have never seen a mobile one. But I decided to look them up and none of the ones I found looked like this. I'm curious why they would need a mobile one when they have so many already. Bixby isn't like a huge city or anything. I mean.. we typically hear 2 or more at the same time, so it's not like they're even spread out that far.

Oh well... guess we'll find out at some point.

And Del, thanks for posting that info. That was very interesting. And I couldn't remember which Friday it was, I thought it was the 3rd. And no worries.. we're good. lol

Maybe I can just go ask the cops what it's for... ha ha

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Just a curious thought / question ... but I wonder if you could just go visit those "powers that be" and ask about the mobile units as a concerned / curious citizen of the city / county?

If anyone would know what / why they are there - it would be the ones that operate or control it, wouldn't it?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ummmmmm, can I make a simple suggestion? Why don't we all take a look at the 1st picture that was put up....(Unknown Device 1)....

On the warning label it clearly states...

WARNING......Turn power off to SIRENwhen servicing to prevent permanent hearing damage.

Obviously it is a type of warning device....WITH a siren.....this was a waste of a post.

It is what it is, and that is all that it is...

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
Ummmmmm, can I make a simple suggestion? Why don't we all take a look at the 1st picture that was put up....(Unknown Device 1)....

WARNING......Turn power off to SIRENwhen servicing to prevent permanent hearing damage.

Obviously it is a type of warning device....WITH a siren.....this was a waste of a post.

Are you sure? The "powers" can slap a sticker on a monkey and call it a warning siren. As children, our parents told us not to touch something because it was hot ... yet, when it was turned off - we touched it, and it wasn't hot. *laughs*

Maybe its not really a siren, but one of those speaker systems for mind control ... something out of the 1984 movie ( I think thats the name of it ) ... turn your town into mindless zombies.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarShin07

Originally posted by desertdreamer

Are you sure? The "powers" can slap a sticker on a monkey and call it a warning siren. As children, our parents told us not to touch something because it was hot ... yet, when it was turned off - we touched it, and it wasn't hot. *laughs*

Maybe its not really a siren, but one of those speaker systems for mind control ... something out of the 1984 movie ( I think thats the name of it ) ... turn your town into mindless zombies.

Well, in that case I will be watching the news for a town that was taken over by zombies, then I guess we will really know.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I think it certainly looks like some kind of siren, but what gets me if it is why have you as a member of the community not been told what it is. I'm in the UK so never actually seen tornado warning sirens, but I'm pretty sure I'd be worried if something like that turned up and nobody told me what it was. check out your local town council, surely someone had to apply for planning permission or something to set them up.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by goldbomb444
Now that we know what they are, we should probably ask why they are there...

Tornadoes like to hang out in Oklahoma so we have warning sirens to save lives.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I totally understand what you all are saying. As mentioned previously though, Bixby has 14 sirens. And it's NOT a large city. This is a small suburban town of about 17,000 people. (though it is growing fast, so that number may be off)

Regardless... we have tornado sirens all over the place that have been around for years. And they work with or without the power grid. They're all central controlled, and there is no reason to replace them.

This device just popped up. And the thing that caused great suspicion to me was the fact that the 3 things I mentioned, have all happened within the last month. I will admit I have been on ATS for awhile and have learned to see the conspiracy in all things... lol but this is very strange.

But yes, I do intend to ask around. However... and this is no joke.

A man decided to stick his nose in city business about 12 years ago. Can't remember exactly what he found, but apparently he wasn't meant to find it. They forced him to leave the city. My parents were friends with his family.

Bixby has it's share of secrets like all towns. And when you put a flashlight on something best left ignored... you may get exactly what you asked for.

Anyway.. I don't believe this is as simple as a mobile tornado siren. If we didn't have 14 of them already, it would be much much easier to accept.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join