It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG I just jumped out of my skin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I am at work and well my cursor happened to venture upon the smileys... it is very quiet and no joke, I just jumped up and freaked out cos the smileys talk. LMAO...

Well thanks, it woke me up

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The smileys talk?
Since when?
Are you feeling ok?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
I am at work and well my cursor happened to venture upon the smileys... it is very quiet and no joke, I just jumped up and freaked out cos the smileys talk. LMAO...

Well thanks, it woke me up

lol I know what you mean! I've been pestered by the dam things in the past! First time it took me a good few mins to work out it was. Several rants at my laptop later it dawned on me and I felt a wee bit silly!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IntoTheVortex

Spot on...

I actually thought I had something open in Windows Media...

Kept trying to find the source of this obnoxious voice and lo and behold - smiley!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Don't be surprised when this thread gets shut down.

ATS seems strangely pro censorship when it comes to criticism of themselves.

I refer you to - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Guys I think you are tripping.
I believe its the ads that make the noise.
I have not heard a smiley talk.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
LOL Yep it got me to, Its the Ad on one of the banners the "HELLOooooOO" one,

Made me jump to, i had my sound on max

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DrBones666

Interesting. Censoring,huh? You mean because they want us to use some place they set aside for that very purpose? I'm fairly new around these parts, but I did notice that the link at the end went to here. And that seemed to be a list they had of ads people had a problem with.

But of course, you shouldn't be asked to complain in a place set aside for complaints on that subject. After all, you're "special" and so deserve a whole thread of your own for a crying spell. And if they don't let you have your temper tantrum where you want and for as long as you want, then those old meanies are censoring your rights.

I bet you go pee-pee anywhere but in the bowl too.

I saw this thread and thought I would use a few of my precious minutes when I can be on line by seeing what the problems were on ATS. Now I know, Romper Room isn't being run to the liking of the day care inmates.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
oh it didn't bother me at all, actually made me laugh once I figured out (after looking around LOL) where it came from.

I don't mind the ads, well the smiley ones esp now they talk...

I need waking up at times

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Dude I just read the thread you posted that got closed. I haven't seen this Advertisment... I wish I could though. Could you guys please tell me how to see it or where to find it.

From your description DrBones.. that part where you say that it nearly gave you a damn heart attack made me choke on a soft drink from laughing

I can't believe that the mods closed that funny ass thread

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
just the ad.. now everyone put your collective skins back on, all these bare bones make me nervous

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFreeBird

Interesting. Censoring,huh? You mean because they want us to use some place they set aside for that very purpose? I'm fairly new around these parts, but I did notice that the link at the end went to here. And that seemed to be a list they had of ads people had a problem with.

But of course, you shouldn't be asked to complain in a place set aside for complaints on that subject. After all, you're "special" and so deserve a whole thread of your own for a crying spell. And if they don't let you have your temper tantrum where you want and for as long as you want, then those old meanies are censoring your rights.

I bet you go pee-pee anywhere but in the bowl too.

I saw this thread and thought I would use a few of my precious minutes when I can be on line by seeing what the problems were on ATS. Now I know, Romper Room isn't being run to the liking of the day care inmates.

Wow... Just, wow...

Thank you for insulting my intelligence, maturity, and insinuating that I am not even capable of taking care of my own bodily functions.

I think it's fairly clear who needs day care, maybe they can offer some lessons in manners and etiquette whilst at it.

On another note, and directed to members that actually intellectually contribute to this forum rather than engage in character assassination and immature baiting, there is a history of closing down any threads that impinge on the character of ATS.

Don't get me wrong, I am a long time member, and staunch supporter of this website, but I have noticed several threads get closed down for criticising ATS, does anyone have any experience with this?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The smiley ad is nothing. You missed the good old days with the mosquito ad. And when it was on the bottom of the page where you couldn't see it, you'd spend 10 minutes going nuts trying to figure out what the heck that whining noise was. Thankfully SO put a stop to THAT one pretty quickly.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

No, but his first two paragraphs are absolutely right.
It seems some members feel the need to "jump out", because they think they'll get seen faster than others, then when they get closed they get accused of being censored. Honest to god you guys. You have never heard of bandwidth conservation, or organization.

Please get over yourself.

ATS has opened that ad-hitlist for a reason, so that there wouldn't be an abundance of "I hate this", and "I hate that", about ads. Same goes for board issues, there's on thread for it, so there's not a plethera of annoying issue threads clogging the most recent posts.

It's simple common sense.

Then, when mods do close it down you get all up in arms, and whine and complain about mods censoring, showing a blatent disrespect for ATS, the very site you pay nothing for, you use for free, and the mods get paid nothing for. Thankless job, and you only contribute to it more.

Your posts and attitude are very disrespectful in short buddy.

[edit on 1.11.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Gee, you said that much nicer than I did. I'm taking lessons.

Sorry to those I may have insulted. But just consider this, it wouldn't have stung if it wasnt true. I'm not out to give anybody a hard time. But because I want to learn, threads that prevent that with drivel raise my hackles just a tad. Then I feel like someone ought to tell the truth about what the underlying reasons are for such crap, in hopes the offensive posters can see the light and stop with the useless and self serving 'poor me' threads.

Consider it a public service, on the order of all the people who think someone has BO but are too nice to explain about hygene.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Okay I'm just pointing something out so take it for what it's worth before going all "you Nazi Mod" on me.

There's a specific thread called Worst Ads Ever where people can post examples of ads like that which are really detrimental to your enjoyment of the site.

It is true we would generally prefer multiple threads for "issues" not be started. The Admins and Skeptic Overlord in particular would find it very difficult to read through every thread in a timely fashion, not to mention the time it takes to address every individual concern.

So there's an "Issues" thread, a "Worst Ads Ever" thread and some others you can find stickied at the top of the BB&Q forum.

Not every issue will be resolved to the satisfaction of every member. But everything is looked at, eventually, and by placing in the proper thread it will expedite the process.

Plus, don't forget the u2u function and the Complaint/Suggestion function in the Member Center. These are less public avenues for addressing concerns and sometimes that can be a more appropriate approach.

I'm not directing this at the thread starter at all. General info only.

Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

Your posts and attitude are very disrespectful in short buddy.

[edit on 1.11.2008 by Shugo]

I'm disrespectful? I don't insult members of this forum on a personal basis, I don't talk about bodily functions or instruct people that they require "Romper Room Day Care."

I think you misunderstand who exactly is being insulting here. I tried to raise a legitimate point about how I have often noticed those with any criticism of ATS get shut down. In return I get personally insulted by a member whose every single post on this site is spewing forth anger and hatred towards other members who have said or done nothing to them other than have a different viewpoint. Go ahead, look into it. I'm sure Freud would have something to say about projecting...

Also, I try and contribute to this site in a polite and intelligent manner, I refer you to this thread where my poor choice of words was taken the wrong way, and what did I do? I profusely apologised both in the forum, and in a U2U.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Search my longer and far more polite user history, and search his, then come back and tell me that I'm disrespectful, "Buddy."

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Your post history has nothing to do with this. I am speaking about your attitude in this thread. Furthermore, now you've derailed the topic in your seeking to go at other members. Please, stay on topic, I don't think it's too much to ask. There's an ignore function, you can use it. If you have a problem with him, there is an ALERT function and a complaint form. Use it.

If you have a problem with how staff handled a thread of yours. There is a complaint form. Use it.

If you have an issue about ads, there is a complaint thread for that. Use it.

If you have issues about glitches on ATS, or issues with ATS in general, either use the complaint form, or post in the ATS issues thread. Use them.

It's not too much to ask is it?

I'm sure by now, the original ad in question of this thread has been added to that hitlist for ads, if not, maybe you should post it in the thread which was provided in your thread which was "wrongfully locked."

Remember, you may be a "good poster", but that doesn't mean T&C doesn't apply to you.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Haha those smiley guys got me quite a few times! Damn them!

And you two arguing, I looove you guys, come on shake each others hands and let's have a group hug! Come on!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
We don't really consider criticism of annoying flash ads to be site criticism or to be worth censoring.

Closing a thread is not censoring as that would involve the removal of the thread. Closing the thread was just a request to post complaints about ads in the thread that was created by our administration to complain about ads.

You've seriously misunderstood staff action. We have a thread that was created so that SO would be able to target the ads that annoy our members and remove them. I don't see anything constructive in making numerous threads for SO to keep track of on which ads to remove if one is easier to follow.

I think you have a slight misunderstanding of the word censorship and a large misunderstanding of what we consider site criticism.

I'll leave this thread open because I'm quite interested in your reply.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join