It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 minor earthquakes hit Dallas-Fort Worth area

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

2 minor earthquakes hit Dallas-Fort Worth area

apnews.myway.com

Two minor earthquakes have shaken the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but no significant damage has immediately been reported.

The U.S. Geological Survey says an earthquake with a 2.5 magnitude was reported at 11:25 p.m. Thursday, centered in the Grand Prairie area.

The agency says a slightly stronger quake, at 3.0 magnitude, occurred at 12:01 a.m. Friday, centered in Irving about 10 miles west of Dallas.

USGS geophysicist Randy Baldwin says aftershocks could last several days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I didn't know if this had been posted or not, but I thought it was interesting since I have been reading more and more posts on here about HAARP.

I'm not saying that they are related, but correct me if I'm wrong... Dallas isn't known for having earthquakes very often are they?

I used to live in Lawton, OK, and we would get earthquakes every once in a while, but that is because we were on the "Frontal Wichita Fault System", home of the Whichita Mountains, which is a relatively old Mountain range (One of the oldest in the world I've been told.)

Anyways, Dallas is pretty far away from there so I was wondering if this could be considered "more than normal" activity, or are these just "random" quakes that happened in Dallas and I'm just not aware that they have them?

I look forward to your comments!!

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The quakes in Dallas are the first that I've heard of in the area.... Dallas is a bit north of the Balcones Fault, which is a line of loosely defined small faults that run from Del Rio, N.E. to near Waco, and skirts the Edwards Aquifer in Central Texas.... During the 45 years that I lived in the area, my biggest worry was tornadoes. Now that I have been gone for almost 14 years, I kind of miss them.... I don't know how HAARP could have an effect on geological events, but I remember being told by a teacher while in the 8th grade that the area was over due for an earthquake.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wow! Im from Dallas (born and raised) and most of my family still there.

I have never heard of earthquakes in that area!!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ou_sooners_19

I live in Dallas and neither I or anyone I know felt anything at all. I know it was a really small one but I just wanted to give my input since I live here.

I have to admit that this is the first I have ever heard of an earthquake anywhere near Dallas

EDIT: I have lived in Oklahoma or Dallas my entire life and I can say with all confidence this ids the first earthquake I have ever heard of in this area.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by vonvitt]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I live in Arlington, TX. its just a few miles from grand prairie. i was driving home from a friends house through grand prairie at the time. I pulled into a gas station to get some smokes. as i was walking to the door i felt the tremor. it didn't really feel like much. kind of like a freight train rolling through about 2 blocks away. nothing much, i figured it was a train or something so i just walked in not knowing it was a quake.

U2U me fellow ATS'ers from DFW, ill buy you a round

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Earthquakes can happen anywhere. Those are so small because Texas is such a tiny State. Now up here in a big State we get far larger ones of course

Sorry, I worked with some Texans once who never stopped talking about how big Texas is so I never miss a shot back since I live in a far larger State.

USGS Earthquake Information

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I'll check with my friends in the Grand Prairie area. Thanks for the info!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I have lived in dallas fort worth for 30 years never had an earthquake. Very strange time we live in.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Earthquakes can happen anywhere. Those are so small because Texas is such a tiny State. Now up here in a big State we get far larger ones of course

Sorry, I worked with some Texans once who never stopped talking about how big Texas is so I never miss a shot back since I live in a far larger State.

Well, you know I lived in Alaska (been gone 3 months now) and im from Texas. I can make the claim as fact and with confidence: Texas aint got nothin' on Alaska (as far as size goes
)

[edit on 10/31/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I lived in Dallas for TEN years and never even a hint of a tremor. This is quite odd.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
must be an underground nuclear test just like the quake in iran.....

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I've lived in Fort Worth all of my life, and I can honestly say that I have never even heard that there was even a possibility that we could have earthquakes (even small ones). Even though I'm only a few miles from where it happend, I didn't fell a thing. I do have some friends though that felt it and they said that it really wasn't bad.

One of my teachers thought that it could have been somthing related to all of the underground drilling (for oil and natural gas), but that, obiviously, has turned out to be not true.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu

I lived in Dallas for TEN years and never even a hint of a tremor. This is quite odd.

Fear not, Memysabu . . . and all you other fine Texans out there. It really wasn't an earthquake, rather just the whole country shifting back toward the left to accommodate Obama's pending election to POTUS!!!!!!

I'm really sorry, but I couldn't resist!!!

[edit on 31-10-2008 by GoalPoster]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I live in Dallas and was awake at the time of these quakes. I didn't feel a thing. I guess it takes more than a 2.5 or 3.0 to shake the ground
I knew the Balcones Fault was south of here, but have never heard of any seismic activity in the DFW area. Now I will have to so some research for historical seismic activity in the area and see what I come up with.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I came across this while reading the local Dallas newspaper this morning.

cbs11tv.com...

The story says that there were a total of 6 SIX earthquakes in the N Texas area and a few in Oklahoma as well.

Very odd times...I always thought California would be the one that falls off into the ocean...who knows maybe southern Oklahoma will have beach front property one day lol

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
"At 10:00 a.m. on October 22, 1964, the United States government detonated an underground nuclear device in Lamar County, in south Mississippi. Residents there felt three separate shocks, and watched as the soil rose and behaved like ocean waves. "

interesting and informative site about underground nuclear testing (yes, it still exists):
mshistory.k12.ms.us...

top topics

join