It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what happened to me at my local DMV office?-(Hint: A passport isn't a valid ID!!!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

reply to post by dave420

Yes your photo is on the passport but that doesn't validate your social security number with the DMV. How do they know that you gave them your real social security number?

How do they know? They should know if they did their jobs, that you have to submit your SSN and birth certificate to the passport agency. And they aren't going to give you a passport if your SSN is not valid...

[edit on 10/31/2008 by wrangell76]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
From a former Texan. Texas passed a law several years ago to make dead beat parents pay child support and that was the alleged reasoning behind requiring the SSN. They could suspend your license if you failed to pay up. I'm sure that there are other reasons but when I last renewed my Texas liscense, I had to show my SS card. Luckily the SS office was across the parking lot.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Yes the PASSPORT office checks and issues you a passport if your social security number is correct. The DMV doesn't have the resources to verify everything right there. It takes us WEEKS to verify a social security number and run a background check.

And how does the DMV know that the social security number you just verbally gave them is correct? They CAN'T without having the card. And it would take weeks for them to run a background check and FIND OUT. So just because you have a passport doesn't mean a damn thing except that the SSN you gave the PASSPORT office was correct. How do they know that you gave THEM the same SSN? They CAN'T unless you want to wait 3-4 weeks minimum. Just because I walk in and say my SSN is 123-45-6789 doesn't mean that it really is, just because I have my passport. I could have stolen someone else's number because I knew that there would be a problem with mine. They don't know that it's not really mine without having the SSN card that matches the passport and license.

[edit on 10/31/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This really angers me. You have to go through a lengthy process to get a passport like, show ss, picture id, birth certificate, proof of address etc. People need to stand up to these people that require SS as a ID card as proof of who you are that's BS! If they turn you down from services sue them. Then when you sue for millions pull your SS card out and flip it over and read out loud what it says on the back. OOPS not much denying that one.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76

Originally posted by Benarius
Glad to get this out of my chest. But not for much longer, we all have a chip or tattoo, worldwide recognisable. Yeahhhhhh...Just kidding. That's when I realy go bunkers at their offices.

you poor thing! All that mess to go through when travelling. I will tell you when I travelled to the Ukraine one time, I brought my brand new visa with my passport and they told me that visa was not valid. So they made me pay them money right there to get another one. It was something else. So I do understand a little of your pain

I do see the microchip for us not too far off in the distance though

I live a 100 miles form the russian border at the moment. I always wanted to take a weekend trip there just to have been there once. But my local friends always warn me not to go. That's just calling for trouble they say. They wouldn't even go with me after I offered them to pay for the whole trip. And I do beleive them and we will go to sweden instead.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
HI Wrangell!! Haven't seen you in forever! Hope all is well - drop me a line sometime

On topic........

When I got my Alaska driver's license, I had to present my SS card, out of state DL and birth certificate and another document I think (maybe proof that I lived there - utility bill). I had to do this for Maryland and Texas too.

Now I am in Colorado, I have no idea what their requirements are, but I don't foresee changing my license until it expires - only because I don't want to stand in lines at the DMV

Here are the ID requirements for the state of Texas:

www.txdps.state.tx.us...

Identification Requirements for a
Texas Driver License or Identification Certificate
A driver license is no longer used solely as a document demonstrating authorization to drive. The driver license or identification certificates are the nationally accepted form of identification and both are used daily to establish identity at airports, banks, when writing checks, voting, or applying for governmental aid. Due to their extensive use as a person's primary source of identity the department has the responsibility to correctly determine an applicant's identity.

All original applicants for a Texas driver license or identification certificate must present proof of identity satisfactory to the department. (All applicants for a driver license must also provide proof of their social security number). All documents must be verifiable by the source that issued the document.
There are three categories of documents that may be presented to establish proof of identity. Every original applicant must present:

one piece of primary identification; or
one piece of secondary identification plus two pieces of support identification; or
two pieces of secondary identification.

Primary Identification:
These items are complete within themselves and require no supporting instruments: These documents must contain the applicant's complete name and full date of birth.

Secondary Identification:
These items are recorded governmental documents (United States, one of the fifty states, a United States territory, District of Columbia, or Canadian province).

Supporting Identification:
These items consist of other records or documents that aid examining personnel in establishing the identity of the applicant. The following items are not all inclusive. The examining or supervisory personnel may determine that an unlisted document meets the department's needs in establishing identity.

click link for more info

[edit on 10/31/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

They are the DMV, not the passport agency. This sounds more like you just didn't know what to bring, thought these guys had access to every computer system in the world, then got sand in your pants when they told you that you need to produce an official ID with your SSN on it.

Just because you have a passport and give them an SSN doesn't mean the SSN you provide is correct, does it?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

So, clearly my statement that the Alaska Driver's Liscence was acceptable to obtain a Texas Driver's Liscence was correct. Isn't that what these requirements state?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

So, clearly my statement that the Alaska Driver's Liscence was acceptable to obtain a Texas Driver's Liscence was correct. Isn't that what these requirements state?

Did you not read the link I put there? Your statement is NOT correct

You have to have a few items of identification and they list what IS acceptable. US Passport is not
AK DL is one of the allowable items

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Did you not read what you posted? She provided a primary form of identification issued by one of the fifty states of the United States, an Alaska Department of Motor Vehicles Driver's Liscence.

It is clearly stated that one form of primary identification is all that is required.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

greeneyedleo! I haven't talked to you in forever. Will definitely send a u2u

I found the Texas requirements interesting...

I pulled this from what you posted:

All documents must be verifiable by the source that issued the document.
There are three categories of documents that may be presented to establish proof of identity. Every original applicant must present:

one piece of primary identification; or
one piece of secondary identification plus two pieces of support identification; or
two pieces of secondary identification.

Primary Identification:
These items are complete within themselves and require no supporting instruments: These documents must contain the applicant's complete name and full date of birth.

so I presented them my Alaska's drivers license, plus the Passport. Looks like proof enough to me. My passport has my full name, full date of birth, birthplace, photo and the passport had verification of SSN. So it seems like they really screwed up. what a shocker...lol

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey wrangell...didn't you marry someone in the Army? If so, you can use your dependent Military ID card as an additional form of Identification

So, I would think that your AK DL, your birth certificate, your military ID would be ok.

If you click on the link, US passport is not allowed as proof
Sorry!!

PRIMARY SECONDARY SUPPORTING*
MUST INCLUDE PHOTO,
FULL NAME AND DOB RECORDED US GOVERNMENTAL DOCUMENTS
(INCLUDES NAME & DOB) ADDITIONAL RECORDS AND DOCUMENTS THAT AID IN ESTABLISHING IDENTITY
Accepted for Identification Without
additional documentation An applicant must present one secondary and two supporting or two secondary documents to establish identity
Texas driver license (DL) or identification certificate (ID) with photo within two-years of expiration date.

Unexpired United States passport

United States Citizenship Certificate or Certificate of Naturalization with identifiable photo
( N-560, N-561, N-645, N-550, N-55G, N-570 or N-578)

Unexpired Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) or US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services document issued for a period of at least one year and must be valid for no less than six (6) months from the date presented to the department with a completed application. The document must contain verifiable data and identifiable photo, specifically:

US Citizen Identification Card
(I-179 or I-197)
Resident Alien Card (I-551)
Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
Employment Authorization Card
(I-688A, I-688B or I-766)

A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) and:

Form I-94 with status code F1, F2, M1, or M2, an unexpired Form I-20, and evidence of current enrollment in an educational institution located in Texas or sponsorship in a visiting worker program or,

Form I-94 with status code J-1 or J-2 and an unexpired Form IAP-66 or Form DS-2019 or,

Unexpired Form I-94 with a defined expiration date: Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.

Unexpired United States military ID card for active duty, reserve or retired personnel with identifiable photo. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by the appropriate State Bureau of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency. (U.S. Territory or the District of Columbia or Canadian province).

Original or certified copy of United States Department of State Certification of Birth (issued to United States citizens born abroad) (Form FS-240. DS-1350, or FS-545).

Original or certified copy of court order with name and date of birth (DOB) indicating an official change of name and/or gender from a US state, US Territory or the District of Columbia or Canadian province.
School records

Insurance policy (valid continuously for the past two years)

Vehicle title

Military records
(Form DD 214)

Unexpired military dependant identification card (actual card)

Original or certified copy of marriage license or divorce decree

Voter registration card
(actual card)

Social Security card
(actual card)

Pilot's license
(actual card)

Concealed handgun license
(actual card)

Temporary receipt for a Texas Driver License or identification certificate (actual receipt)

Unexpired photo DL or photo ID issued by a US state, US territory, the District of Columbia, or Canadian province (actual card)

Expired DL or ID issued by another US state, US territory, the District of Columbia or Canadian province that is within two years of the expiration date(actual card)

A foreign passport
(actual document)

A consular document issued by a state or national government
(actual document)

Texas Inmate ID card issued by TDCJ

* Items in the supporting category are not all inclusive. Supervisory personnel may determine that an unlisted document meets the department’s needs in establishing identity in the supporting category only.

Additional documentation may be required by DL personnel to verify conflicting information, incomplete names and DOB.

Texas Administrative Code Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 15, Subchapter B can be referenced at info.sos.tx.us....

Revised 05/20/08
Driver License Division

Home
Mission Statement
Online Services
Driver License Renewal
Change Your Address
Register Your Vehicle
Driver Record Request
Driver Responsibility Surcharges
Driver Responsibility Program
FAQ's
Helpful Information
Moving to Texas
ID requirements for Texas Driver License/ID certificate
Driver License Office Locations
Compliance Locations
Renew TX license while out
of state (MILITARY)
Renew TX license while out
of state (NON-MILITARY)
Driver License Fees
Driver License Fee Exemptions For Disabled Veterans
Downloadable Forms
Hazardous Materials Endorsement
(HME) Procedures
Victim of Identity Theft?
Title 7, Vehicles and Traffic, Texas Transportation Code
Title 37, Texas Administrative Code
Contact Customer Service

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It does not make sense to me that in this day and age that anything would need to be harder than it needs to.One government agency wants documentation from another government agency.This makes no sense.They should be able to get any documentation you need for themselves on site as long as you have the documentation you need to get the document the other ageny wants.The DMV wanted my birth certificate.Since I all ready was licensed in the same state it hit me off guard.Now why can't i just show them the same documentation that I would need to get a birth certificate and pay them right there for that service.The whole system is inefficient if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

If the Alaska Driver's Liscence has her full name and full birthdate, it qualifies as the (1) piece of Primary Identification required.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
never mind.
I dont want to argue on her thread

Sorry Wrangell. Like and respect you to much for it

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You know, a long time ago my license expired and I tried to buy a drink with my passport. Well the barkeep declined the passport and accepted my expired license over what I had thought to be an even more legit documentation of my age and identification. Made me think about how much stock people put into the drivers license and what mayhem a fake one could create other than the occasional underage person trying to buy beer.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76
the passport had verification of SSN

You keep saying this, yet don't say how. Does it have the SSN on it? If not, then it doesn't verify anything, only the fact that when you applied for your passport, you gave an SSN that checked out. If you provide an SSN at the DMV, how on earth are they supposed to match it to the one you used to apply for your passport?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
never mind.
I dont want to argue on her thread

Sorry Wrangell. Like and respect you to much for it

awww greeneyeleo,
I don't mind...I know you are super nice

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

I do I-9 employment verification for my company. A drivers license is a List B document. It has to have ANOTHER form of identification to go with it. A drivers license is NOT a Primary form of identification.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ethann

You couldn't have said it any better ethann
It is so pathetic how our government agencies are so disconnected from each other.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join