It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New form of TB is airborne, drug resistant and it's in New York

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

New form of TB is airborne, drug resistant and it's in New York

www.newsweek.com

You'd think the emergence of a fatal disease—especially one that can be spread without physical contact—would be a big story. Yet a threatening new form of tuberculosis called extremely drug-resistant TB, or XDR-TB, has garnered almost no attention. That could soon change, with a new publicity campaign in 50 cities worldwide, centered on a series of dramatic pictures by photographer James Nachtwey and an Internet campaign at xdrtb.org. As the campaign shows, TB is not just an affliction of an earlier era. It still infects millions of people, killing about 1 in 6 of them. In the 1990s, there emerged a scary new version called multi-drug resistant TB (MDR-TB). And now there is XDR, which is even harder to treat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This is really disturbing.

Tuberculosis is a really deadly virus and this new form is airborne, kills 40% of those infected and there's thousands of cases worldwide... and we don't hear about it.

This could be the plague the NWO created to reduce massively population. It just needs to spread in big cities and it's over.

You would think that the economy was bad now... imagine such a plague spreading... no economy at all.

A 12 monkeys scenario could be right around the corner.

www.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Some more info from CDC Website

The 49 XDR-TB cases were reported from nine states and one city, with the largest numbers in New York City (19 cases) and California (11 cases) (Figure). HIV status was known for 29 (59%) of the 49 persons with XDR TB (Table); 16 (55%) were HIV positive. During 1993--1999, a total of 19 persons with XDR TB had known HIV status, of whom 14 (74%) were HIV positive; during 2000--2006, 10 persons had known HIV status, of whom two (20%) were HIV positive. The number and percentage of persons with XDR TB in the group aged 25--44 years decreased from 21 (66%) during 1993--1999 to six (35%) during 2000--2006.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Symptoms of XDR-TB are no different from ordinary or drug-susceptible TB: a cough with thick, cloudy mucus (or sputum), sometimes with blood, for more than 2 weeks; fever, chills, and night sweats; fatigue and muscle weakness; weight loss; and in some cases shortness of breath and chest pain. A person with these symptoms does not necessarily have XDR-TB, but they should see doctor for a check-up. TB patients whose symptoms do not improve after a few weeks of treatment with TB and you are taking treatment should inform their clinician or nurse.

en.wikipedia.org...

uh-oh... i came down with a chest cold during the last 2 hours of work yesterday, at a hospital... it hit me kinda quick, and i started to feel weird, like you sometimes do when you get the flu. it hurts when i cough, i don't have much of an appetite, and it's sometimes hard to breathe... i hope i feel better in the morning, as i missed work today...

i'm in NC.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
what states was this in?!

...and i found this:

Comprehensive treatment of extensively drug-resistant TB works, study finds

i guess there's hope afterall!

[edit on 30-10-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is genuinely the biggest FEAR.

Either weaponized against a nation.

or

Used on your own people.

The manner of dispersal for a biological agent would never be something the enemy could identify as an agent created for the purpose, or the people. It would indeed be, a Bird Flu Strain Or Airborne strain of TB

Something you never could know for sure what is happening.

Combination? A Multi Plauge?

I'll place my bet now on over a random phase of 1-2 years an overlap of

Airborne TB, Birdflu, Mrsa (mainly in hospitals and schools)

Mrsa is Methacillin resistant Staph, It would spread like wildfire in hospitals if they became crowded, complicating everything, hospitals, jails and schools already are main focal point for the spread

Really a brilliant combo, who needs martial law?

Airborne Bird Flu and TB keep you inside for fear of catching it, the prisons go rank and so do the hospitals with all 3, so if you open your mouth or try to protest anything you risk getting locked in with the germs... reports on the News where very frightened people tell you daily of the tens of thousands dying in jail from Mrsa and airborne diseases...

quite an incentive to stay home and avoid conflict and die in your homes where they can remove the bodies, decontaminate at will

Houses are left standing and everything

Makes the direction we are all looking seem very inefficient huh? Makes a Neutron Bomb look like it leaves a big mess, and Martial law an over priced risk in which the troops can turn on you...

No, this...

This is perfection

stock up on holistic meds now,

Manuka Honey for MRSA

Kimchi for Avian Flu

Nothing you can do I know of about the TB other than stay real clean...

But, you can sit with it a long time, outlast the first 2 and survive, live to fight another day...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Is'nt there a vaccine for TB?

2 line post

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad
Is'nt there a vaccine for TB?

2 line post

Yes, kind of...

BCG is a vaccine for TB.

This vaccine is not widely used in the United States, but it is often given to infants and small children in other countries where TB is common.

BCG vaccine does not always protect people from getting TB.

If you were vaccinated with BCG, you may have a positive reaction to a TB skin test.

This reaction may be due to the BCG vaccine itself or due to infection with the TB bacteria.

Your positive reaction probably means you have been infected with TB bacteria.

If you recently spent time with a person who has active TB disease or
You are from an area of the world where active TB disease is very common (such as most countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and Russia).

Or you spend time where TB disease is common (homeless shelters, migrant farm camps, drug-treatment centers, health care clinics, jails, prisons).

Sometimes the TB bacteria are resistant to the medicines used to treat TB disease.

This means that the medicine can no longer kill the bacteria. Multidrug-resistant TB, or MDR TB, is bacteria that are resistant to two or more of the most important TB medicines: INH and RIF.

A more serious form of MDR TB is called extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR TB). XDR TB is a rare type of TB that is resistant to nearly all medicines used to treat TB disease.

If you do not take your medicine as your doctor or nurse tells you, the TB bacteria may become resistant to a certain medicine.

Also, people who have spent time with someone sick with MDR TB or XDR TB disease can become infected with these multidrug-resistant bacteria.

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You have to wonder about this 'news' in light of the new emergency policy declared by the DHHS. You know if they THINK that there is a significant outbreak of communicable disease they can "force" the states to virtually imprison the entire state and institute one of those "for your own protection" camps.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I feel vincdicated in a very unsatisfying kind of way.

I've been saying, fear the germs, not the NWO....

I'm terrified that this is going to sneak upwards from Mexico as more and more illegals come through.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's like a bad computer virus. You think you have gotten rid of it, but them BAM your whole computer gets attacked when you least expect it.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It's caused by bacteria, not a virus.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
And this, like the melamine issue with foods from China...the elections and economy are the news, period (whenever I turn on the dumbox CNN, C-SPAN, etc. is all WAR FOR THE WHITE HOUSE, BATTLEGROUND STATE, etc.).

I might not like 95% of the stuff I find out here but at least I find out!

We know CDC/FDA hates people and wants us all to die (based on previous and current performance - only things that could cause profit loss to companies who support political candidates/lobbies seem to get released) so where can we get real information? Like reliable sources and such? Any know of any credible medical field bloggers or vloggers?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
i know a little bit about TB, dont know much about the strain your talking about, but as far as i'v been taught TB is airborne IF that person is currently not just a carrier but infected and affected by the disease currently, they teach us firefighters in EMT school that it is easy to prevent catching it in an ambulance by good ventilation and masks, but is this different? is this something that doesnt involve patient contact but something that can travel in the air, and not just around a coughing person infected with it? but from what the OP stated it doesnt sound that much different regular TB other than drug resistant. You dont want to catch it? dont be in close, unventilated quarters with someone coughing, plain and simple

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
just curious if anyone knows , myself and my son both tested positive before and underwent the treatments that lock away the live tb in the body, does this make us immune now?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Randy Echo

i dont know if really means IMMUNE as much as resistant, you and your son will be carriers your entire life, but thats not really that much of a problem, i know many paramedics/emt's with TB and they live normal healthy lives, i know it can resurface, you just have to be careful that if it seems you have come down with a serious cold, it might be the TB disease showing its ugly little head again, and should probably go get checked

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The thing to keep in mind is the healthier you are, the less likely your body would ever become infected from exposure to the nastiest x, y, z germ. With that in mind, keep your immune system healthy by eating foods that encourage immune system health (like yogurt with live culture) and drink lots of water. And the best, and I mean, theee best, protection against any nasty airborne germ is salt water (saline). Carry that Ocean saline nasal spray with you wherever you go (or whatever brand you like). If you exposed to anything - spray it in your nose. The moisture will protect the lining of your nose (your body's first line of defense) and the salt will kill any germ that happens to be in there. Learn how to do a salt-water rinse with a neti-pot. It's an ancient way of curing most upper respiratory ailments. Might seem gross, but it really works:www.himalayaninstitute.org... I've been accidently exposed to some nasty bugs, and I swear the saline-up-the-nose kept me safe.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Good information, I have flagged this

i have been feeling #ty for 2 days now, lost of appetite and bone pains..

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiRRoR_MuSiC
is this something that doesnt involve patient contact but something that can travel in the air, and not just around a coughing person infected with it? but from what the OP stated it doesnt sound that much different regular TB other than drug resistant. You dont want to catch it? dont be in close, unventilated quarters with someone coughing, plain and simple

I don't think that the drug-resistant varieties of TB are any easier to spread than traditional TB. That's why the real concerns are places like prisons and homeless shelters where a high percent of occupants are unhealthy anyway (immune systems already maxed out) and where control over exposure to others is limited.

The only place that I worry about at all here is the subways and buses. If you're on a packed subway car it is sometimes impossible to avoid being coughed on. But I've never actually heard of a case of TB that could be linked to a stranger on public transportation, so maybe that kind of exposure is easily overcome by a healthy immune system.

I think the most important message here is, only take antibiotics when you really need them, and always complete the prescription. Don't panic – this is cold and flu season as well, and heaters are coming on making the air dry and worsening allergies for some. Most coughs are not TB.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
A few cases have been diagnosed in New York.

Not entirely a public health scare is it?

In KwaZulu-Natal [South Africa], there is 90 percent mortality. Patients survive one to two months.

Surviving 1-2 months isn't entirely a good weapon for the murder of the human race is it.Especially being in a poor province of an African country im surprised even 10% survived.

But the mortality rate isn't entirely known. In other countries with more aggressive treatment protocols, mortality is more like 50 percent. In Peru, a study in the New England Journal of medicine showed a cure rate of 60 percent.

Oh and the rest of the article we didn't read.

In Peru they have a 60% cure rate.And Peru being not all that advanced....
So forget about your pandemic.Serious illness yes, but pandemic no.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join