It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wouldn't gay marriage boost the economy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If same-sex marriage was accepted nationwide, wouldn't that spark a whole new economic boost? Weddings are typically very expensive, and cause sales in all types of areas: travel, clothing, catering, location rentals, musicians, organizers, etc. If gay marriage were accepted, I would assume that lots of people that have been waiting to get marries, would do just that.

So then, all at once, there would be a huge amount of spending across the entire country. Would this not help curb the economic woes that everyone is blaming on people being tight with their purse/man-purse?

It seems that holding back same-sex marriage is in turn keeping our economy in recession (as opposed to the relief it could bring), so therefore, banning same-sex marriage is technically a threat to national security (going with the transitive property of the right-wing party, which equates anything that hurts the economy as a threat to security).

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
wow....nobody has anything to say??

i'll subscribe to this and check back... plus star and flag for you

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CureWish
wow....nobody has anything to say??

i'll subscribe to this and check back... plus star and flag for you
Yeah but they would lose revenue on the tuxedos, cause all partys would be wearing wedding dresses

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

i dont think it would make too much of a difference really

especially how the economy is now, everyone is leary about spending on high price tags

if would definately boost communities i think and not so much the country economy

i really dont see the big deal in gay marriage or marriage in general

if you promise to love someone forever and only them, thats marriage enough for me

but this is america, the land of opportunity, not the land of the restrictions and rules as we see fit

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The other day my friend was telling me to vote against gay marriage because men would team up and exploit the system even though they aren't really gay. That had to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
The other day my friend was telling me to vote against gay marriage because men would team up and exploit the system even though they aren't really gay. That had to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol.

haha that is awesome

how would they go about that? im not sure what a premise would be to how and what?

really can you elaborate more on your friends thoughts,

comedy

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
"Wouldn't gay marriage boost the economy?"
In short No.
Because although there is many Gay people.
Number 1 not all of them would want to get married.
And number 2 the ones that did would not amount to much of a % of the population to be enough to simulate the economy through spending on weddings.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

Hah, yeah.

I think they kind of thing they mean, I'm not sure about the USA, but in my country married couples get certain tax breaks, so sometimes people just get married for convenience. How it would be any more prevalent in gays I have no idea, I've never seen a statistic that says gays are more likely to commit a fraud (Although I'm sure the Christian Coalitions could invent some if needed
)

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther
Yeah but they would lose revenue on the tuxedos, cause all partys would be wearing wedding dresses

yes, but they do buy designer name brand clothing..... (/stereotype)

Another thing to note, is that on the ballot, the part where you vote to "preserve" marriage between man and woman, it also says that it will cost an undetermined amount of money, "but is expected to be minor." If that isn't one hell of a loophole, I don't know what is. I mean.... that sounds like they stuck a foot in the door for loading it up with pork barrel spending.

I realize that not all gay people would get married, but it seems that even if a fraction of them did, that would in effect produce lots more couples making larger joint-purchases, and perhaps combining incomes which would also lead to investments, taxes, etc.

Just seems ridiculous to spend money, to keep people from getting together and spending more money.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by scientist]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
You forgot the money they would spend on Lawyers. Gay divorce would go hand in hand (pun intended) with Gay marriage! Being divorced myself, I'm all for banning marriage for everyone! Considering the 50/50 chance of ending up in divorce court, it's a gamble at best!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
"Wouldn't gay marriage boost the economy?"
In short No.
Because although there is many Gay people.
Number 1 not all of them would want to get married.

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
You forgot the money they would spend on Lawyers. Gay divorce would go hand in hand (pun intended) with Gay marriage! Being divorced myself, I'm all for banning marriage for everyone! Considering the 50/50 chance of ending up in divorce court, it's a gamble at best!

i'm gay myself and i do not plan on marrying, nor would i want to marry. controversial as it may be, since some people see marriage as a 'sacred institution', i would be totally for the 'marriage ban'...a ban on marriage in general, that is, not same-sex. so i agree with you both on that one... ;-)

are there even many gay people on ats or am i alone here? if not, then speak up... i'd love to hear what you think.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
yes, but they do buy designer name brand clothing..... (/stereotype)

Another thing to note, is that on the ballot, the part where you vote to "preserve" marriage between man and woman, it also says that it will cost an undetermined amount of money, "but is expected to be minor." If that isn't one hell of a loophole, I don't know what is. I mean.... that sounds like they stuck a foot in the door for loading it up with pork barrel spending.

Just seems ridiculous to spend money, to keep people from getting together and spending more money.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by scientist]

hahaha, count me in as a walking stereotype.... ;-)

i agree with you.....

new topics

top topics

join