It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Introduces Windows 7, Ending Vista Brand

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Great another over priced piece of junk non functioning Linux ripoff I can download a copy of and play Frisbee with.
Bill Gates the 2nd biggest criminal of all time.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
Great another over priced piece of junk non functioning Linux ripoff I can download a copy of and play Frisbee with.

Don't forget about Steve Jobs, he's up there too.

On another note, most complaints came from people trying to run Vista on hardware that was released for XP. I was able to run Vista on a terribly old laptop and it still ran.

Oh and the other mistake people make is buying PC's from HP, Dell, etc, and don't wipe the drive and do a clean install. That's what I did when I bought my laptop. Couldn't be happier.

Anywho, why is there so much hate regarding what OS people use? They all have their flaws.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg

Don't forget about Steve Jobs, he's up there too.

On another note, most complaints came from people trying to run Vista on hardware that was released for XP. I was able to run Vista on a terribly old laptop and it still ran.

Oh and the other mistake people make is buying PC's from HP, Dell, etc, and don't wipe the drive and do a clean install. That's what I did when I bought my laptop. Couldn't be happier.

Anywho, why is there so much hate regarding what OS people use? They all have their flaws.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Yeah I said second.
Second biggest.
And I should have said "Economic criminal".
Because obviously there is different types of criminals.
Hitler, Bush, guys like this are mass murderers.
They are different.
Greenspan, Gates, they are economic criminals.
Jobs just laps up after Gates.
In fact really he is just part of Gates with a different head.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

actually, no, you can't use the license that you replaced, OEM licenses are non transferable, Additionally, XP registers your hardware specifications. Depending on the license you got though, it may be backwards compatible, meaning that if you have vista, you could uninstall vista and install xp using the same license. You would just need the media. Thats something that you would have to talk to your computer vendor about though.

If you are buying a new computer, I recommend looking for a computer that has a backwards compatible license, and has Software Assurance on it. You wind up paying 50 or so a year for the SA, but when the new o.s. comes out, you can install it for free on the license. Just a thought.

Camain

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Thats funny because ripping off Apple is what got Bill Gate's gonads nailed to the wall by justice in the first place and is why Windoze is such a clumsy dog. Gates made a deal with the justice dept. that he would keep tweaking Windoze until it was just different enough to be considered a new operating system which is why something that takes one or two steps on my Mac takes several more on my friend's Dell.

In all reality Microsoft has never been about innovation... its all about marketing. They bought DOS, they stole GUI and have bought, copied or ripped off almost all of their major developments ever since... Steve Jobs has more sense of style and creativity in his little finger than Gates does in his entire body which is why even though WIndoze in the Budwizer of operating systems its always playing catch up.

I have sun microsystems version of parallels on my Mac (Virtual Box) and I considered buying Windoze to run a handful of apps on with but even though Microsoft has stopped making XP which is what I wanted since I know it passably well it is still being sold at the same price ($199) as it was when it was under full production.

Anyway Apple has delivered the death blow to single operating system computers with the current Mac's ability to run not just OSX but windoze, Linux and a whole slew of others on the same machine... with parallels and Virtual Box you can run them all at the same time and click and drag between them.

That is so cool.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Fact is, Apple could easily beat Microsoft if only they would release their OS on the PC platform. But NO, they insist you buy their hardware. Fair enough, this is why I welcome a Mac OS knock-up in the form of Windows. Go M$

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by styxxz

lol, You know that you can get Mac OS onto a PC right? www.insanelymac.com

Anyway, I really like what MS are doing with win7. Everyone sits there and talks about how MS are copying all the other OS makers out there but honestly, who out there in the OS industry hasnt copied anyone else in some form or another?

[edit on 1-11-2008 by funky monk]

xul

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
The only thing good about Microsoft is that Bill Gates is a philanthropist and Paul Allen contributes money to scientific progress, such as the radio telescope array.

Vista is a piece of garbage and so is every other Microsoft operating system (as well as their software). When will Microsoft take a hint and realize that using a DOS shell is ancient technology?!?! Unix is the best OS core on the market, as is evident with Linux and Mac OS. Solaris, Sun Microsystem's operating system, isn't too shabby either. Until Microsoft starts from the ground up and develops an OS that is similar to a Unix base, they will have no place in advanced computing architecture.

Are you aware that some of the newer versions of Linux (as well as some other open source, Unix-based operating systems) can still run on a 486 processor? Microsoft and Intel work hand-in-hand to purposely ensure that the average, non-technically inclined consumer must buy a new computer when A) a new operating system comes out, B) a new operating system is released, or C) they run out of storage. Microsoft purposely inflates the size of their software to ensure this. It was discovered by a team of open source programmers that Microsoft Office was a staggering 2000% larger (in terms of disk space usage) than it needed to be. And as you know, the newest version of Microsoft software and OS only run on the newer processors. This type of consumer manipulation ensures that both Microsoft and Intel will sell more computers (preloaded with Windows and Intel chipsets/CPUs, obviously) everytime the average consumer is in need of only a minor upgrade. (As far as I know, Microsoft has no partnership with AMD.)

I use Macs for my work, and if only Mac internet browsers would be as compatible with as many websites as PC browsers are, I would never use a PC again.

[edit on 10/30/2008 by pjslug]

I agree here, completely. Being in the PC repair business, what I mostly see is Windows computers. Here of late I have been seeing quite a few with Visa installed, and what a POS Vista is! You cannot install a new piece of hardware in a Vista PC, Vista doesn't like that. Microsoft should have stuck with XP, or went open source, at least XP can be fixed when it gets a virus, and XP is not a memory hog like Vista is.
I always try to get my customers to leave Microsoft and move up to Linux. Linux is more stable, is full of free games, codecs are available and easy to install, and Linux is SAFE, with a strong I-Tables firewall and and very good security. You will never see the "fatal blue screen" in Linux, or see Linux crash like Windows does. Microsoft will not ever rule the world with their software.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
My laptop with Vista Ultimate works great.......as long as I don't run Nortons VP or McAfee on it. I have tried everything to reduce the effect these VP sytems have on my laptop and it still is like mush. So now I have resolved to run third party VP on my computer that is not my on my hardrive and that works. I haven't had trouble with any Virii yet so this seems to work. I was under the impression that W7 is still Vista but with many of the apps previously included deleted. Kind of a Vista Light!

Zindo
Oh 2.3 Pentium, 2.5 gigs RAM plenty of power. 250 gig HD

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz
I still think that for windows users, xp pro is the best. But let's not forget LINUX, which is a nice alternative.

If you have a high speed internet connection, you can download and configure Linux very easily from here:

www.debian.org...

If you have a free disk partition of 500 MBytes or more, you can dual boot, so you don't have to lose your high-priced Microsoft OS when you install the free Linux version.

#

The Debian Linux package is great. It looks cool, contains Microsoft office compatible functions, is fast and reliable. And -- of course -- it is free.

Why doesn't the USA government standardize on this? Why are US taxpayers paying so much to Microsoft, when the Linux operating system is so reliable, secure, and functional, and free If the government standardized on this, the entire country would quickly follow.

IMO, just the Linux X-Window system, by itself, is reason enough to abandon Microsoft.

Edit: I like the Debian version of Linux, because of ease of installation and completeness. But the other versions are quite nice also, in particular "RedHat" and "Slackware". There are lots of sources. Just Google "linux distro" for more information.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Buck Division]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OoTopNotchoO

Everything that runs on Vista will run on Windows 7. Microsoft is just changing the name of their next version. Its the same Windows underneath, with some added stuff like a changed taskbar and other stuff that you can do for free in other operating systems.

Ubuntu users know what Im talking about.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by funky monk

Hackintosh!, unreal. Not exactly legal though...

It will be interesting to see how win7 evolves. Right now it's not too different from vista, especially in the performance dept.
MS recently boasted that they got win7 running on an asus eeepc with just 1Gb ram. Whoopee, vista can run on that too
But it's still early days.

Imo, MS should drop backwards compatibility already! That would go a long way for better stability and performance.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join