It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analog TV: My government wants ME to have the BEST reception

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
yeah i get elacart too , i get whatever i receive and don't pay a cent for it.. most people cant live with only 5 channels off the air but , hey, with the internet I can see all my favorite shows whenever i want...

Really the internet is the future of TV for the consumer and the advertiser because they can have truly interactive commercials where they can actuall make sales right from the commercial..

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by FTHEREDLIST

So why are we not all mindless drones then? What exactly have I been brainwashed to do?

Your the one who made the claim, back it up. The onus isn't on me to prove you right, but rather yourself.

If you were in the good ol' US of A, you'd know that we are all mindless drones. Americans spend more time watching TV than they do sleeping, and it's destroyed our society.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
WHOA! Thanks all for the information and fodder for contemplation...
Now, will someone please address the core question of my OP?

Is there some foreseeable determent once its' not available for use by the general public? What is lost once it is gone? Other than more choices and a better picture (now THERE'S something for the government to get behind with an expensive mandate!)? what makes digital so beneficial (other than "mind control or advertising?) over analog?

I'm thinking along technical lines here. It's hard to believe there isn't something else to it; what else do (or can) we lose when an analog signal is gone?

I still think I'm missing something along the lines of "non-observed or controlled" communication; losing the ability for us to manipulate the technology to our advantage somehow, if need be.

Someone out there must understand enough about analog technology (oxy-moron?) that a scenario along those lines could be extrapolated.

One more thought I didn't see mentioned: Digital seems to be the perfect catalyst for CENSORSHIP.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I have a better idea.

Everyone switch to c-band satellite / free to air satellite.

Better yet, do what I did and forfeit your tv viewing altogether. A Springsteen song comes to mind "57 channels and nothin on".

Well now its 570 channels and less content than on two channels in 1965!

F-TV

A two way link is possible through the new digital standard. It also may be possible to merge the tv & internet connections with the power, all on the same cable. The implications are amazing but frightening too.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
With digital tv everything you watch is trackable and stored.
I believe with some subscibtions you even have to log on to the remote control as an individual family member.
Everything on digital tv can be tracked like on the internet.

This data of you family members tv watching habbits is of great value to all sorts of marketing people and worth money.

This data can than be used to send specific commercial adds to each individual user of the digital tv.
Much like some banners on the internet, if you looked up some specs for a laptop, you will see loads of banners of laptops in the next week.

With analog tv this is not possible.

That is i believe the biggest difference in a conspiracy sence between analog and digital tv.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Your confusing two things. The power of suggestion is indeed a formidable tool, however, what the other poster was alluding was direct manipulation of the mind using the EM frequencies themselves.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The spectrum is being sought after for RIF chip tracking technologies. The big retail corporations want to replace the current barcode technology with RIF chips. Some may have noticed under some bar codes they will already find the RIF chip as it is being tested on small scale in stores and retail distribution centers. They originally wanted the CB band but were unable to acquire those.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anna Kronism
WHOA! Thanks all for the information and fodder for contemplation...
Now, will someone please address the core question of my OP?

ill say this a second time. the FCC has all the frequency shifts well documented.

WHERE DID ANALOG GO?!?!

in all likelyhood people are more likely to have a TV than a Cadillac. The DTV transition just means most stations will go from having 480 lines of resolution to something more like 1080 lines.

if you want to talk to people using covert means, ham radios do the trick. the gadgetry inside the converter box has all the same components of a digtial clock, so if you can make ray guns out of that stuff i say go for it. there is nothing magical inside any converter box that "embraces" the digital signal, because it is just ones and zeros. if you could refashion a converter and make something useful as you hinted at in the orignal post, then you could probably just as easy make one from scratch.

No one owns all the stations. most are privately held, so i am having a hard time believing in this invisible "powers that be" signal could ever be broadcast wide enough for many people to see anything.

ANALOG WAS WASTEFUL, digitals only job was to free up the poorly used spectrum.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
CNN to Interview '3D Holograms' on Election Night
Link here

which raises the thought... who needs real actors/people on TV when you have super computers able to create 3d full articulate virtual ones?

They can already perfectly duplicate anyone's voice using snippets of conversation.

see this:

The system, called Voxonic, can replicate a specific voice in any desired language. It's already used in limited applications, including film dubbing and corporate communications.

Voxonic System Delivers Presidents, Rap Stars in Any Language

Do not trust anything you see or hear on TV.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
Really tv in standard def is fine with me.. ill be sticking with my satalite tv in standard def for a while.. and this is coming from a guy that edits HDTV footage for a living and is a video electronics nut..

Sure HDTV is great but its the content that matters not the number of pixels in the image.. heck if that were the case youtube and other web based video would have failed long ago at 320x240 resolution.

Umm....I think you are confused.
Satellite TV such as Directv is digital even though you are watching standard definition. HDTV and digital are two different things.

The government is mandating the switchover to digital but not necessarily HDTV. With the converter box for people with standard definition Tv's, they will be watching a digital signal and not HDTV.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'd much rather have the government mandate that you must be able to receive local channels if your area doesn't have cable. I have Direct TV and cannot get local channels at all. I had to get waivers from local affiliates to be able to recieve New York and LA network channels from Fox and NBC the local CBS and ABC affiliates refused to grant those waivers so I have no access to their programing at all. I'm know I'm probably not missing anything, but I would like to have access to nearby local programming, cause as much as I like NY and LA, I could care less about seeing the nightly news from there.

I'd also like to see al la carte programming available. Sure several channels would go poof immediately, but so what, why should I subsidise channels that I either morally or ideologically disagree with.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
I'd much rather have the government mandate that you must be able to receive local channels if your area doesn't have cable. I have Direct TV and cannot get local channels at all. I had to get waivers from local affiliates to be able to recieve New York and LA network channels from Fox and NBC the local CBS and ABC affiliates refused to grant those waivers so I have no access to their programing at all. I'm know I'm probably not missing anything, but I would like to have access to nearby local programming, cause as much as I like NY and LA, I could care less about seeing the nightly news from there.

Do you have a antenna?
You should be able to pick up your local stations via over the air.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
[edit on 09.05.2008 by Anna Kronism]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
People are making too much out of nothing. I really enjoy the material even with sources cited.

Going from analog TV to digital TV is a leap of 80 years or so in technology. The analog system is based on vacuum tube technology and hasn't really changed since inception.

Digital broadcasting frees up band width of the radio spectrum. 20 years or even 10 years ago, this would have not been a big deal. The FCC would have given some of these frequencies away for no cost, or just reallocated them to existing fixed bands services.

Existing analog channels i.e. channel 4, requires around 6 MHz for the picture and sound to broadcast on 2 different frequencies and mixed to form the picture and audio you receive from the TV. This 6 MHz per channel is required for all the channels broadcast on analog TV. Digital signals will also use the same 6 MHz, but they are allowed to broadcast next to one another. There are only a few channel combinations allowed to broadcast side by side in a market, due to interference from one another. This would be like a channel 4 and channel 5 in one market, this is allowed, but not channel 8 and 9.

This 6 MHz block used by digital broadcasting can have several channels within the 6 MHz. Where, with analog broadcasting, only 1 channel; now you can compress 4 streams into the same bandwidth.

Because of the analog wide usage of bandwidth, and the rules that would only allow certain channels to be broadcast side by side, this caused channels to be spread across the radio spectrum and not in one continuous block. Digital TV removes these barriers and the related wasted bandwidth.

What makes this switch now apparent is that freeing up radio spectrum in different frequencies, have different applications used by today's electronics. WIFI will have many more options for locations that were not available due to interference from analog signals.

Cellphones will take over some frequencies in the VHF and UHF bands currently held by channels over 14 and above.

With this additional WIFI and cellphone usage comes money that will be generated by the FCC to allow companies to broadcast on these newly opened frequencies. As for the money side, we are discussing billions of dollars of revenue coming into the federal government. This is why you are seeing the media blitz.

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

*Going from analog TV to digital TV is a leap of 80 years or so in technology.*

This thread reminds me of the old radio's... (I do not know about any body else in other countries, but In Australia, it is "am and fm". I brought a old radio that does have (bc) (sw1) (sw2) (sw3) (sw4) and (fm). I do hear radio stations from all around the world, really interesting to listen too. And I am soo bored with the "am and fm" stations.

Really wish I am living in America, so I am beable to watch MORE, ALOT MORE t.v. stations then the standard c.r.a.p that is on the Australian t.v. I do LOVE to watch the t.v. show called: Hero.. Thanks America for that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join