It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phony Flier Tells Virginia Democrats to Vote on Nov. 5th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The issue of voter intimidation and misinformation is happening in full force.

Be SURE to know where to vote, WHEN to vote, bring proper ID, don't wear clothes that advertise your candidate and check your vote to make sure it's accurate.

In short, educate yourself to make sure your vote counts!

Phony Flier

Video

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No offense to those that got the flier, but if you can't look at a calander and tell something is off on a little piece of paper, then i don't want your genes tainting my future chidren, so get fixed now.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

I can't really disagree with that. While I do think that the perpetrator(s) should find themselves in hot water, you'd have to be pretty dumb to fall for this one.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I agree with you guys. But many new voters aren't aware of voting laws. And it's all so official-like. Besides, the people telling kids that they'll lose their scholarship if they vote? Threatening them with police presence? It's pretty foul. I think someone should really be held accountable for these intimidation tactics.

People need to take responsibility to educate themselves about voting and KNOW THE RULES!

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Ha. What an ingenious idea.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I agree with you guys. But many new voters aren't aware of voting laws.

Hopefully those are the ones who forgot to register in the first place.

Seriously, why would someone believe something like that in the first place? Don't they think that the government would have used more methods to inform people than sending a flyer around?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I like this. This should be done every election to weed out the complete imbeciles who have no business voting in the first place.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Okay, but let's have the Democrats vote on Nov 4 and the Republicans vote on Nov 5th.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I disagree with those who say the people who are ignorant of voting laws shouldn't vote in the first place. Many people don't have time for politics. They're too busy working due to the cost of living. These people are among those suffering the most in this country, and their voices should be heard.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was told in kindergarten that eection day was the first tuesday of november. We even had a little fake election every four years. Not knowing it was election day is no excuse considering they tell you this in school, and in citizenship classes when you go to get that done so you can vote.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

With government education getting increasingly worse with each passing minute we'll soon have to make exceptions for everything and everyone. Ignorance will actually become a viable excuse.

A little off-topic to speak of the ignorance of the masses a few years ago when I was still in college a student in a class asked when Thanksgiving was. Somebody else responded: "I think it's on a Thursday this year." I immediately burst out some pretty hearty laughter. Apparently the response was not intended as a joke as nobody in the class got it (except for me) and everyone looked at me like was some sort of jerk.

Next time somebody asks when election day I'll say "I think it's on a Tuesday this year."

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

With government education getting increasingly worse with each passing minute we'll soon have to make exceptions for everything and everyone. Ignorance will actually become a viable excuse.

A little off-topic to speak of the ignorance of the masses a few years ago when I was still in college a student in a class asked when Thanksgiving was. Somebody else responded: "I think it's on a Thursday this year." I immediately burst out some pretty hearty laughter. Apparently the response was not intended as a joke as nobody in the class got it (except for me) and everyone looked at me like was some sort of jerk.

Next time somebody asks when election day I'll say "I think it's on a Tuesday this year."

Off topic as well, but a girl I work with asked the same question bout thanksgiving. She also wanted to know if we elect our prime minister at the same time as our president because a gir from russia wanted to know. I tried explaining that we don't have a prime minister and she bit my head off cause she is a government major or something like that.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious_Agnostic
I disagree with those who say the people who are ignorant of voting laws shouldn't vote in the first place. Many people don't have time for politics. They're too busy working due to the cost of living. These people are among those suffering the most in this country, and their voices should be heard.

Are they too busy to pick up a newspaper, watch TV, or read the internet news sites as well? If so, I would not want them to vote since they would not be aware of current events and what the candidates stand for.

An uninformed voter is a dangerous thing.

Perhaps we need to start licensing people who vote, kind of like licensing people who drive. That way we can ensure they are are of their rights AND responsibilities.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Kind of funny in a twisted way. Surely a prank gone awry. I'm not surprised that some would fall for it either. Just like watching "Jay Walking" on the Tonight Show. The gullible people are out there. Look for them. Don't be afraid of them. Help them. Befriend them. Show them to the proper polling place.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Are they too busy to pick up a newspaper, watch TV, or read the internet news sites as well? If so, I would not want them to vote since they would not be aware of current events and what the candidates stand for.

Yeah, there's info about the candidates and current events all over the place. I would expect them to at least be aware of those things. I was talking about voting laws. I guess I should have said that instead of "politics".
Also, numbers are an easy thing for people to confuse, so I don't think people who are fooled by the flier are too ignorant to vote.

edit - Looking back, I did say "voting laws" at first, but then said "politics".

[edit on 10/29/2008 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Also, numbers are an easy thing for people to confuse, so I don't think people who are fooled by the flier are too ignorant to vote.

Well I think they are ignorant, however their citizenship and eligibility guarntee them the right to vote.

Obviously they did not bother to spend the time to learn the law and how it affects them. If they had in the first place they would never have fallen for this kind of tactic.

You wouldn't let someone drive legally without demonstrating a basic understanding of the driving laws, would you?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Obviously they did not bother to spend the time to learn the law and how it affects them. If they had in the first place they would never have fallen for this kind of tactic.

You wouldn't let someone drive legally without demonstrating a basic understanding of the driving laws, would you?

They're not voting for the voting laws, they're voting for the candidates. I agree that people should know about the candidates before voting. I'm just saying that they shouldn't be punished for not knowing the details about the voting process.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   

They're not voting for the voting laws, they're voting for the candidates. I agree that people should know about the candidates before voting. I'm just saying that they shouldn't be punished for not knowing the details about the voting process.

So you are in favor of letting someone drive without a basic understanding of the driving laws?

If you don't understand the basics of voting, than why are you participating? I would be ashamed to be a part of something I did not even have a basic understanding of.

It isn't like the election date is a moving target, Congress set it back in 1845.

[edit on 29/10/08 by COOL HAND]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

I answered that in my last post when I said: "They're not voting for the voting laws, they're voting for the candidates."

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I answered that in my last post when I said: "They're not voting for the voting laws, they're voting for the candidates."

No, you did not.
They have no understanding of the process (voting), and you think they should be allowed to utilize it.

It has nothing to do with candidates at that point, you can't change the fact that they are using a system that seem to lack a basic understanding of. All the more reason to better regulate that system.

These are the same kinds of people who do not get how the electoral college works.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join