It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Cleric Faces Possible Criminal Charges for Marrying 12-Year-Old Contest Winner

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

old.thejakartapost.com...@04&irec=3

Two sources and a google search turned up a lot more - don't think this is the usual Faux News spin machine at work on this one.

I'm curious what people think about this?

Is this acceptable?

Why or why not?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a pedo and his cronies using his position of power and money to get what he wants

deserves more then prosecuting and his croonies need a good seeing to too

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

It's wrong on many levels.

For one, she entered the "contest" because her parents needed money. So she is being used.

The marriage was not for love.

He is 43 and she is 12, which means realistically it is not consensual. He is using her. For sex.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Completely unacceptable in my eyes. Hope they lock him up before he marries the 7 and 9 yr old too.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't really care about your religion or cultural identity.

This is clear cut child abuse.

He should be jailed and never get out.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm agnostic by choice and I hate when I point things out like that and it immediately turns into a religious argument or how "my political views are askew."

Appreciate the response.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The parents basically sold their child into slavery, the wife of this low-life condoned the action, and the man partook of the action to satisfy his pedofiliac desires.
This action is taken under the guise of religious rite. And Islamics wonder why the rest of the world holds their religion in such a bad light. If this is not a case for "one apple spoils a bunch" I dont know what is.
Much like the Jewish denial of Christ turns people against them and the Inquisition turned people away from Catholicism.

Abolish organized religion and let people just put their faith in their own choice and a few things might just change in this world.

I hope this man, every person that aided this archaic and horrific act, and every person that perpetrates this same action, get the maximum allowable penalty. When it comes to pehophillia, I have ZERO tollerance. I love my little sister too much. Pedos should be stripped naked, bent backwards over a cold metal tube and caned from the breast to the thigh, 15 lashes. Corporal punishment is the cornerstone of all three of the major religious tomes. Let that which they worship be that which dictates their punishment.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This poor girl was “selected” for him. Like she is some pet. I guess in his eyes she is, a sex pet. You do not “select” a twelve year old girl to be your bride through a contest; I don’t care how much money and power you have. This is wrong on so many levels and should be illegal.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
In all cultures across the world, with the exception of the "Western World," the age of marriage is accepted as much younger. For most cultures, girls are accepted to get married when they have their first Menstrual Cycle. All across the world, men are accepted to get married when they are responsible enough to earn a living to take care of themselves and a family. Me personally, I agree with these guidelines.

However, even in the countries where the marriage is much younger than the "Western World," these people are not running around having free sex. And the younger girls are not initiating sex. They are behaving themselves to stay pure and moral, in order to gain a good husband. These cultures get married. To me it does not seem beneficial or constructive to inter-mix the accepted younger age of marriage, with the Western World's concept of free and premarital sex.

To me, having sex with anyone that has not yet undergone puberty, now that is child molestation, rape, and pedophilia. Having sex with anyone, of any sex, and of any age without their consent is rape.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
In all cultures across the world, with the exception of the "Western World," the age of marriage is accepted as much younger. For most cultures, girls are accepted to get married when they have their first Menstrual Cycle. All across the world, men are accepted to get married when they are responsible enough to earn a living to take care of themselves and a family. Me personally, I agree with these guidelines.

Oh really? Most cultures view marriage as acceptable when the girl has her first period? Most??

Apparently they can marry but not have sex then. The average legal age for sex seems to float around 16-18 across the Globe. Apparently in Tunisia and Madagascar it's even more strict then the States.

A table of World wide ages of consent

To me, having sex with anyone that has not yet undergone puberty, now that is child molestation, rape, and pedophilia.

I agree it is.

But do you know how young some girls get their period? The average is 12 (which is too young for marriage, and too young for sex with an adult) but that is only an average. Many are younger.

Having sex with anyone, of any sex, and of any age without their consent is rape.

Like the man in the article.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
In rural, tribal areas it is true. The legal age of marriage of a girl is their first menstrual cycle. This holds true in Africa, South America, and Asia. Of course, the mainstream areas that have been changed by "Democracy" and Western Norms have upped the legal age of marriage.

What is taboo in one society is a norm in another society, and vice versa.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

The average legal age for sex seems to float around 16-18 across the Globe.

I have to wonder though if in those countries the age of consent conflicts with marriage laws. There are some states even in the US where you can be married at thirteen with parental consent, though no US states have an age of consent that is as low as thirteen.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Let's hope the goverment in that country do the right thing and stop this man from grabbing more contest winners.

WTF? What a strange contest.....

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Western Norms

Just curious, how is something a "western norm" if it is happening in most of the non-tribal world? Isn't it just a general norm of modern societies then? Doesn't it cease just being a western mentality when many non-western countries are creating the same laws?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Calm down. this isn't a big deal. People over react to these sorts of things. I don't underestimate kids like the rest of you so this doesn't concern me one bit.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Everything considered a "modern norm of modern society" actually stems from "western norms." This was achieved through the wide-spread colonization of the world by Europe, the U.S., and Christianity.

Point being, if something is a norm in one society, what makes you believe you are right and their entire society is wrong? Everyone is different, every society has different ideals of acceptable and unacceptable. This world will never be at peace until people learn to agree to disagree.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Perhaps you are guilty of underestimating.

Her parents had her compete in this competition for money. The man is a predator. That's not exactly the make-up for an intimate loving relationship.

This is a big deal for that girl. A very big deal.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Point being, if something is a norm in one society, what makes you believe you are right and their entire society is wrong?

I never said I was right, I just find your mention of Western Norms interesting, considering most people I meet from non Western countries have stricter ideas about sexuality and the age of consent. I’m simply disagreeing with your implication that this “mentality” should be “blamed” on Western societies.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
I have to wonder though if in those countries the age of consent conflicts with marriage laws. There are some states even in the US where you can be married at thirteen with parental consent, though no US states have an age of consent that is as low as thirteen.

I was wondering that as well. I guess it would not be unlikely. I was thinking, hoping, the sex laws would reflect the marriage laws. Marriage of course implies sex, so I would hope most countries keep the two in uniform with each other. But I am not really sure...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
These people are Muslim. It's in their very religion to acknowledge menstruation as legal marriage age. For you to tell them they are wrong, is like a person telling you and your society that circumcision is wrong.

When a society is in the mindset that certain things are acceptable... that is when other cultures need to "Agree to Disagree". Unless of course "acceptable" involves genocide or some other major Human Rights Violations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join