It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTRAGE: NJ Cop Puts CBS 2 Cameraman in Chokehold

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Not anywhere I have ever worked... But New Jersey is weird in many ways...

You got that right. New Jersey is one of those "progressive states". They like to push new things.

www.securityinfowatch.com...

Thats about 5 minutes from where I am. I could drive there right now in about 5-10 minutes depending on traffic and weather.

October 16, 2008 – SRI International, an independent nonprofit research and development organization, today announced that the Lakewood, N.J. police department is expanding the deployment of SRI’s Aware mobile video surveillance system to provide the town’s main street business district with real-time, on-demand visibility.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Looks to me like the " rent a cop" in the Newark uniform was on a power trip. From viewing the video , there was absolutely NOTHING illegal about the cameraman's actions. Then to " warn" the reporter to stay back or she is next. Atrocious. He does not seem capable of dealing with the public.
In the clip, the officer is in a discussion with a civilian before he starts in with the cameraman. I can only wonder what he was saying to HER that he didnt want filmed.
I hope he is terminated to be honest. It is frightening to know that someone who feels as though he can " do what he wants" is policing the streets .

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The "special officer" in this case would be what you would call a "brownshirt". You know, he works for the SS but isn't really full blown SS...

The cameraman should sue the "officer" for violating his civil rights as a member of the press. We've allowed this precedent to be set that police and the government can ignore our civil rights. Things like free speech, freedom of the press, right to assemble and demonstrate. Now we have "free speech zones" and mass arrests of protesters.

Any government or group which cannot allow civil liberties is acting against your best interests. Too often, people these days think it's OK to violate someone's rights if you happen to disagree with what they are saying. We've lost the knowledge that allowing anyone's rights to be trampled makes our own just as worthless. Do not for a minute assume because you "agree" with the position of those in authority you will not be subject to the same abuse. The true agenda is far more nefarious than that.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
TNB, not surprising. You get what you hire.

No I don't see a gun on his side so I'd venture to say he's not a real police officer.

Some police departments have a "reserve" police program where they have people come in with special training, only when they need them, usually for events and stuff where they need extra manpower. Like at highschool football games, and at small protests/demonstrations such as this where it would be a huge waste of have real police officers. These reserve officers are basically helpers and nothing more, they don't have any actual police powers that I'm aware of. They basically have a direct line of communication to the real police though, so they are good eyes and ears. And since they have a big "POLICE" logo across their vests, they are good crime deterrents.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that anything will happen to the police officer. As far as I can see from the story, he should be arrested for assault and kidnapping as there was no legal precedent for him choking the cameraman(there never is a legal reason to choke someone anyways) and then putting the cameraman into the back of a squad car. Forcing someone to go somewhere against their will without a legally viable reason is kidnapping, as far as I know. But like I said, I doubt anything will come of this other than a slap on the wrist for the officer and a formal apology to the news station and cameraman.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Correct me if im wrong but in the last week it seems there is more and more coverage from the media about police abuse of authorite

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This time they got lucky, usually there aren't any council women around to save the press. This will just keep on going untill it's business as usual and noone will even raise an eyebrow.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
how many cops does it take to throw a perp down the stairs?

none! he fell

hehehe and before people go ape, my dad was a cop and 3 of my friends are...i can make that joke.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
x

[edit on 29-10-2008 by LogicalExplanation]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
S-Dog...

Not anywhere I have ever worked... But New Jersey is weird in many ways...

Not 100% about their regulations...

Semper

NJ does "attempt" to regulate these "Security Officers," through a program called SORA...I think most of these security officers are used during the summer for crowd control at NJ beaches...

Many of these security people, during weekends assigned to crowd control on the NJ beaches or boardwalks, are very abusive and get a little out of control issuing tickets and making arrests...And, many of them are off-duty police officers earning extra cash, thus they forget that they are limited in what they can do in their capaicity as a "Security Officer" versus their actual Police duties"...But, I'm sure if they "flash" tin, any abuse will be overlooked by the actual city police officers...

New Jeresy is weird, and I, unfortunately, live here...I call NJ the gestapo state...If anything is remotely fun or good for you, NJ will find a way to make it illegal...

I think it's one of the few states where a small pleasure boat (23' or less)cannot come closer than 300 feet of the beach...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by swdecord

And, many of them are off-duty police officers earning extra cash, thus they forget that they are limited in what they can do in their capaicity as a "Security Officer" versus their actual Police duties"...But, I'm sure if they "flash" tin, any abuse will be overlooked by the actual city police officers...

Cops are never "off-duty". They have full police powers even when they are not "on-duty". The only difference is they aren't getting paid and don't have a radio for backup while off-duty.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Nj does, in fact, have what are called "specials". Specials are hired by a local department and have to undergo training at a certified police academy within NJ. The must take extensive firearms training along with many fo the same courses as "regulars". The course time is less than a regular.

That said a "special" does how all the powers of arrest and so on, BUT ONLY when "on the clock" of the hiring department and only within that jurisdiction. They cannot carry a weapon, concealed, or at all unless signed in, nor do any of their "powers" exist unless signed in.

Most departments use specials as preliminary time before appointing a person to become a regular law enforcement agent. Most are used as ride along and for special events, traffic control and so on.

AND it can happen, like with any law enforcement agent they become obessed with some ill conceived "power".

Having spent much time actually teaching cops I quit a long time ago. I quit when the level of professional desire went down to almost nothing and the job became something for someone who wanted to just use some power trip oveer others, which makes for bad cops and bad law enforcement. There was a time, in NJ, when cops were pretty darn good. They acutally were out to help someone rather than try and ring up summons and just be an idiot. In those days the cops were very sensitive to community needs and personal needs. I know of many cops and most fo the ones I had the honor of knowing well were good men, doing a difficult job, and doing it well and honorably. I cannot say the same thing of the people today, well the young ones. I am sure there are some of the honorable school, but they are very hard to find. Most now seem more impressed with themselevs and a 9mm.

Nowto touch on this case for a moment, the cop was/is an idiot and has no common sense what-so-ever. he seems to have failed the course of Constitutional Law, failed the couse of human thought and failed the course of the Rights of Man. He does fit the class of impresed with himself though. This will certainly open up a whole can of worms for Newark. And giving four summons to a little old lady leaving a funeral. It wold have been a whole lot better to just turn her around and help her find her way.

The NJ cops I KNOW would have done THAT first ! And their comment would have been," I would want someone to do that for my Mom also". Those are the cops I know !

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
So I would say the best recourse for CBS would be to do a special made for television segment on just such abuses as this and have it air nation wide to get the problem out in the open. Perhaps, Goodman and others who have suffered abuse at the hands of anti-first Amend. perpetrators could help collaborate a successful show.

Also, it appears this 'officer' may be able to be charged with assault, and it would be good to get a case like this in front of a jury, and then get national exposure around it. I think since there is a War on Privacy now on the citizens by Orwellian Fascist elements, who want a camera on every street corner and a microchip in every arm (soon), citizens need to arm themselves with cameras as well and make sure THEY can record all events so that there is a fair balance of just exactly what happenes in any occassion. Remember, as happened at the Waco massacre, when the Gubmint has all of the cameras at an event they will ALL mysteriously malfunction at the same time, so be proactive and carry your camera everywhere as a much needed backup.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
They're all going to be doing this to everybody if we don't win this fight against the elite ASAP!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalExplanation

Cops are never "off-duty". They have full police powers even when they are not "on-duty". The only difference is they aren't getting paid and don't have a radio for backup while off-duty.

Really? Then NJ must be different because here is a snippet from the "SORA" Q&A, which is on the NJ state website...

Q 9. Do active law enforcement officers have to comply with
the requirements of SORA?
Active law enforcement officers working in an off-duty security
capacity for a Licensed Security Agency must obtain a Security
Officer Certification. They must provide their SBI number in their
application, but do not have to submit fingerprints, or attend the
security officer training course. Instructors shall verify the officer’s
identity and active duty status. Once this has been confirmed, the
instructor will upload “pass” for the officer’s test results and the
officers digital photo. The instructor will also generate an email to
the Private Detective Unit (PDU) including the police officers name,
SBI number and applicant ID Number.