It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange red light in the sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Not really much into posting things like this, but I thought maybe someone would have been interested.

Last night between 11:30 and 11:35pm I was driving down interstate 80 in Pennsylvania. I was at mile marker 245, which is about 20 miles east of Danville PA, when I happened to look up in the sky and see a strange red light streaking slowly through the sky. At first I though it was a plane with there blinking lights, but the light was way bigger and it wasn't blinking. Also, the light appeared to be extremely low to the ground, maybe 100 ft in the air. I watched it for about 20 seconds, and by the time I could get the other people in my van to look at it and try to get my camera out, it was gone. It literally completely disappeared at once, not fading out or anything like that.

I'm not sure what it was, but I thought maybe some people here would have some thoughts, or maybe someone else in the region saw it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
One time I was sitting on the toilet and in the bowl there was a strange red light but then I remembered I had swallowed my laser pointer.
Seriously though, I have no real advice but good luck in your inquiries.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Airplane and Helicopter manufactures are now starting to use LED positon lighting systems, they arepretty darn bright. Also people are upgrading thier lights to LED because they are brighter( to be seen) and are lighter in weight, plus they don't burn out as often. So maybe you saw a Chopper with the new lights? Just a hunch

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
We are having a very busy year for meteors! This is what you most likely saw. Please have a look at the following threads:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Red is not an unusual color for meteors, and they can often appear to be much lower than they actually are.

Edit to add - 20 seconds is a very long time for a meteor to be visible for, but that is still consistent with slow meteors like Taurids (see above links).

Edit to add one more link - www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 27-10-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

[edit on 27-10-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I agree with the content of this post as my guess for what you saw. Approximately around the same time (although in tx), I saw a rather large bright reddish meteor that was sluggish compared to typical meteors, but that is in fact what it was. A brilliant sight. This does seem to be a very busy season with a vast variety of colors, speeds, effects, etc. Have been enjoying the show immensely.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

I think you're like me, and know that anyone with even half a brain knows the difference between an airplane and a UFO, if you think it was a UFO or something that wasn't an airplane, you are probably right.

In Denver, I have seen a glowing red orb on two occaisions and knew for damn sure it wasn't an airplane or helicopter.

I hate it when people imply you are an idiot by claiming you dont know what a plane looks like.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

You make a good point...however, some people mistake planes for UFOs. Some people have even mistaken the moon for a UFO. It happens.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People mistake stars/planets for UFOs too (Venus being the most frequently misidentified).

When you are unfamiliar with something it's all to easy to make the wrong assumptions.

Unfortunately most people know know little about the night sky, and even less about phenomena like meteors, comets, etc... let alone actually having seen them with their own eyes.

Most people are blissfully ignorant of what they are missing, and when they do eventually see one of the wonders the night sky has to offer they are often dumbfounded

It always make me chuckle when I read reports of a big meteor, that caused scores of people to dial 911 to report seeing a plane apparently crashing down in flames, which is a regular occurrence! I do kinda feel sorry for the emergency services though, who always come back empty handed after a long search for wreckage!

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm a pretty level headed person, and wouldn't admit this to many as I KNOW the response most would give. However; take this or leave it, ON Saturday Nov 15th at 2:20 am, I was working, ( I work grave yard shifts), it was a very busy night at work, so NO I wasn't dozing off and dreaming...

I just happened to look up and out my office window, and saw a BIG red light, from my view point, it was the size of a sandwich plate, no sound was associated with the light, and nor was it blinking like lights do on a plane. If this was a plane or helicopter, for the light to appear so big, that would have meant it would have been flying pretty darn low, and sound would have definitely been there.

This light, did not ascend or descend, stayed on the same level, and travelled very slowing in an eastward direction. I didn't feel threatened by it at all, none of that type of feeling like it was getting closer to me. Of course my heart was racing though as it REALLY took me by suprise.

I watched it travel in that eastward direction until it passed the right side of my window and was out of view. I then stood up to change my field of view, and watched it continued travelling eastward over hills.

It lasted about 3 mins.

I live in Central Ontario, Canada.

new topics

top topics

join