It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you get more fed up with people as you get older?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm usually the kind of person who can find the good in anybody. I'm able to look past character flaws and see something salvageable in everybody, even really bad people. But lately, I've been slipping. It's my co-workers that have done it to me. They all listen to the same music (generally metal or whatever is on the most popular radio station, and if you listen to almost anything else, you're "gay",) watch the same TV shows and movies, watch the same sports and expect everyone else to follow, act the same way, talk the same way, dress in generally the same way, do the same things for fun, etc. They have very little knowledge but very strong opinions, spit on the ground, use profanity in virtually every sentence, and they stop and literally gawk at any scantily-clad woman who walks buy. "DUUUDE! Look over there! Agghhhh *obscene gesture*" I swear, I'm getting fed up. I can't take it anymore. I'm very good at fitting in when I need to, but I feel like I'm constantly dumbing myself down for these people. It's not that I change who I am around them, I just keep my opinions hidden most of the time. Dare I tell them that I listen to indie music? That I enjoy discussions on philosophical things? That I like to find deeper meaning in movies I watch? That I prefer love over "f-cking hot chicks" that I pick up in bars (And I use the term hot loosely)? Don't get me wrong. I don't hate these people in any sense. They can be very good company, and a lot of the time I genuinely enjoy working with them. I don't know...maybe I'm just becoming jaded. Instead of looking past these things, they're highlighted. I left work very frustrated today. I'm not fighting with them...I've even gone out for drinks with them a few times. I really can't explain it. It just makes me angry, I guess, that so many people succumb under peer pressure. There's so much potential for uniqueness in every person, but instead of expressing it, people fold.

Anybody else feel this way? Does it get worse as you get older? Maybe I'm just in a slump.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Herman]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I hope you don't work in a post office.....

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I'm with you.

I recently turned 30 and I find my patience has just really declined over the last 3 years or so.

I get annoyed with people's lack of manners.

I get annoyed with the attitude of staff in shops.

I get annoyed with youngsters and their lack of independent thought.

I get annoyed with my former friends who I see haven't moved on in life since we were 19 and expect me to behave like I did back then - despite the fact I am now middle management in a responsible job.

I get annoyed with the double standard of government.

I get annoyed with kids who try to be 'more alternative than thou' despite the fact they are just following 'trends.'

I just get annoyed a lot now.

That said, I'm still very laid back.

Nice thread,

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

Oh no, we are turning into our parents! As we get older, we have responsibilities like rent and other bills. We have to go to work, and don't have the luxury of just hanging out with our friends when we were teenagers. Some people do not have to pay bills and they don't think we have to do it too.

On the customer service issue, it is your money and they are supposed to offer you the assistance you require. That is what they get paid for. I purposely seek out stores owned by immigrants as they still know what customer service is and will help you out any way they can.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
What I get fed up with kids saying things like wake up shepple,and arguing over something they have only read in a book,I have 4 kids of my own and have coached sports for over 20 yrs,when I was young I was told to listen and learn,things have changed quite a bit since I was young as I am 55,I get angry when someone calls you stupid because they read something in a book that I actually lived thru,but I do remember being a rebellious kid,I think twice before snapping to judgement

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm 21 not really been in the world too long I know but...

I was once a very calm and patiant person with people but ever since I started working in IT and especially over the last year or so I've found myself very short fused with people.

Let me bullet point

1. Their problem is your problem
  2. When a person has a problem they never give you the full details so you see half the problem
  3. People blame you when things go wrong, it's somehow your fault
  4. Your always interupted when your doing something that requires all of your attention and not just once either
  5. The phone never stops ringing either
  6. Then after all that you finally fix the problem and knowone says thankyou

[edit on 4/11/2008 by klain]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I can relate... although I have a different take on it.

You sound like you are getting sick of how predictable your co-workers are. I am the same way... once something becomes totally predictable, it starts to annoy me. If you look further into the real reasons they annoy you, it will probably start to hint that it's not really the things they are saying or doing that are annoying, but rather these things remind you of your own negative character traits.

That line of thinking can get cliche really fast... so to escape from that, I'd like to point out that the best way to overcome a negative attitude in those situations - take every single thing that annoys you, and use it as a reminder of why you are so glad to be an individual with your own opinions and mannerisms.

Don't alienate yourself or others, but just celebrate the differences between you. There's a good chance they will call you "gay," or you may become the butt of a few jokes at first. I'd be willing to bet that some of them are fed up with the same routine as well, but it's become a comfortable routine for them, which to some people is preferable over no routine, or changing routines.

new topics

top topics

join