It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Skintight spacesuit Developed by MIT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I found this while I was browsing earlier.

New design in Spacesuits comes from MIT,

Professor Dava Newman, professor of astronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, she unveiled the Suit yesterday, according to the Article on the National Geographic website, this is the next Generation BioSuit made from specially reinforced fabrics.

I thought this was a joke at first, but it is for real as far as I can tell, surely that suit won't protect from the sun's Radiation?

Picture

I think it looks really Futuristic, I wonder how much of the end Product will actually resemble what we see here?

Any Thoughts? what are they trying to sell?

BTW the article is below the picture, easy to miss with the distraction.

BTW I was linked to this site from Here Which is about the new Luna Rover, can carry two Astronauts for two weeks, pretty cool.

And i was shown the Luna Rover site on xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I agree that this doesn't seem to offer much protection from radiation. Also, what about the extreme cold? I would love to know what the suit is made from.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
reply to post by azzllin

I agree that this doesn't seem to offer much protection from radiation. Also, what about the extreme cold? I would love to know what the suit is made from.

What it is made from is what stops the radiation, got it?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That’s pretty sexified.
The helmet seems to be out of place though. Like everything else has changed but that.
Im sure the prototype is going to look like crap though.
Cant wait to see the real one.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
They need a space suit made out of something like glad wrap... yeah.... nice and SKIN TIGHT.

Looks good, would be far more flexible (bendable) than the current space suits that are like trying to flex, or bend, a balloon.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Its a bit harsh to mention it, but she probably isnt too good looking. They probably whacked the helmet on for that reason...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Current space suits are not radiation proof either.

As long as you are in low earth orbit the earths magnetic field gives you some protection.

The suit looks cool, (opps a pun), I guess the trick is making it insulate well enough, and strong enough to withstand the pressure difference. Oh, and air tight is probably a good idea.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yeah i saw this on TV not too long ago. It looks ok, but Seems too restrictive. It has to be very difficult to breath in one of those things. And it is tight but seems a little too tight. I mean my twig and berries! OUCH. On paper it seems OK, but i can only imagine in a real vacume it may have some flaws. Just imagine what will happen to any openings in your body, they will be sucked out due to them not being reinforced by the external pressure...WOMEN....NOT COMFORTABLE! MEN...YIKES. I think its a good direction for future progress. It can surly give some advantages. Such as better leggings and arm/hand sleeves for the current suits. I see the inventors wearing them out in the desert but thats without any pressure variance. I imagine they would become quite rigid when they are put into a vacume due to the amount of pressure being pressed outward by the body

A conventional space suit forms a pressurized envelope around an astronaut to protect her from the vacuum of space. The BioSuit achieves a similar effect by using supertight material to exert pressure on the astronaut's body, while also affording greater flexibility, Newman said.

Since it does not have a pressurized envelope......

Also think of it like a balloon. If you cover the entire balloon with the suit it will be fine, but if one section is not covered by the suit, the pressure of the balloon will try and escape through the tiniest of holes.. Even if the helmet is pressurized it will off balance of pressure form the helmet and the suit. I think this would cause damage to the eyes. the purpose of the rest of the suit. It will be a bad balance. So if suit around the balloon has a glass cup (representing a helmet) the balloon will be pushed to fill in the void where the glass cup is. If you fill the glass cup with air to off set this the air will also push against the balloon in the rest of the suit and will just over pressurize the actual balloon/person. It seems cool, but not too practical.

Probably why its not ready for space use yet.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by ghostlandseller]

[edit on 27-10-2008 by ghostlandseller]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
My biggest concern is the presurization. You need to maintain it around the entire body if not the nitrogen will escape out of the blood and well bubbles in the blood are very very bad just one can kill you much less hundreds. Just ask any diver. At 60,000ft is when it escapes the human body rapidly enough that some people just refer to it as blood boiling.

But hey I'm sure they thought of that or it wouldn't be a space suit still kind of concerning after looking at it though.

Edit I guess it's 63,000 feet and known as armstrongs line

[edit on 27-10-2008 by Darthorious]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Baggy is better, what is MIT thinking.. not much.
The jet sled monkeys had those skin tight jet suits on.
For walking on the Moon you need outer cooling, how do
they figure on that.
Humm, cooling on one side and heating on the other side perhaps.
Disney taught every one in the 50s about space medicine.. like
how to keep alive in space.
Von Braun said a three stage rocket was all we needed.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
For walking on the Moon you need outer cooling, how do
they figure on that.

What makes the moon so special? You need the same temperature regulation on the moon that you do anywhere else in the vaccuum of space. Yes, the surface of the moon is radiating at you, but what's radiating far more, the sun or the moon? The vaccuum itself is a great insulator since there is no convection so you're left with radiative cooling. If you make the suit's outer layer fairly reflective it will go a long way to keeping radiative heating from the sun from becoming a problem. Furthermore, you can rely on the body's own sweat glands to take care of the rest; if the person's sweat is allowed to boil off in the vaccuum of space it will take much of the heat with it through evaporative cooling (not as effectively as it would with an atmosphere, but since the specific heat of water is so high it'll still work to a certain extent). What I would be most concerned about is the effect this would have on your hydration. I would imagine an astronaut would get need to be constantly resupplied fluids from the suit, and that means more fluid output as well.

Von Braun said a three stage rocket was all we needed.

Are you here to suggest the Saturn V could not perform as advertised? Why not? The math checks out.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
#1 I am very excited that the first components of My superpower suit are on schedule from MIT and Darpa

#2 AND VERY IMPORTANT I THINK

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE HEAD... INSIDE THE HELMET

IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE HUMAN

Am I nuts? Did no one else notice this? Looks Very Grey/Reptilian to me...

Reverse Engineering slip up?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Oooh... this will make the fanboys very happy....

Let me lclear something up though. The purpose of it being skin-tight is to keep pressure against the skin to enhance blood flow:

An innovative alternative approach is the Mechanical Counter Pressure (MCP) Suit. Instead of trying to hold your body intact with air pressure, it holds it in with spandex. It sounds crazy but it just might be crazy enough to work.

A skin-tight suit of high tech cloth exerts pressure over the rocketeer's body to provide pressure. A bubble helmet with oxygen supply allows one to breathe. Open pores in the suit actually allow the body to be cooled by perspiration. Tears will cause bruising to the skin, but are not as lethal as they are on a conventional suit. The suit can be quickly put on. They do not interfere as much with movement (+20% energy expenditure, compared with +400% for a NASA suit). And you can store them by folding them up and putting them inside the bubble helmet.

www.projectrho.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Seriously, no one finds this Interesting?

Look at the head, stop with Obama for , you know five minutes and look up at the head in the suit...

It really doesn't look human

Really looks distorted and I don't see why it would come off looking so much like the sort of shape of a Grey or Reptillian or those skulls with the elongated cranium they find...

This is a really Interesting coincidence...

Even if the shape of the head inside the suit, is a distortion of light as seen through glass

This still raises, to look at this some very interesting questions in regards to

Ancient Astronauts and Grey Visitation, look how thin it looks in that outfit...

Offers even if it's a bending of light, some interesting food for thought in reference to "are we really the aliens"

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
One problem that I can see it trying to fit it to various sizes of people. You would need a near perfect fit and considering the variability of sizes of people that could create a problem. Nice concept though.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

its the reflection of a cloud on the visor

the suit itself looks pretty cool but i'm not so sure if it will actually work

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Neew World Leader]

new topics

top topics

join