It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian official calls for attack on UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truther

This is getting a bit stupid i think, first the US kinda back off from the strike iran scenario, now Iran seems like there begging to be hit.

First they were talking about a preemtive strike on Israel now this..

Its getting to boiling point now with febuary nuke thing.. I can see it kicking off real soon..

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

The way I see it is that this is a way for the Iranian high-ups to make themselves look strong to their people. They know that there isn't much threat from the US or anyone else right now, so they're doing a lot of talking. It's the same thing that Russia's been doing and Kim Jong II does in N. Korea.

It's nothing more than a ploy for attention on a world stage and way a to stick out their chests and look tough for their people.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't believe they Iran would be stupid enough to carry out such an obvious attack as it would open the door for a full scale assult on their country.

You know I’ve had this really weird dream on two occasions now about President Ahmadinejad. In the dream I’m an on-lookers in a small crowd of people who are gathered around the president who appears to be lying down and in a great deal of pain, he is talking to the people around him almost like he is on his death bed, I can't understand what it is he is saying....and that’s when the dream ends! Annoyingly.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

In an article on the Iranian Web site Aftab last week - translated by the Washington-based Middle East Media Research Institute

Middle East Media Research Institute, aka MEMRI (created by Israeli Mossad agents), the same people that intentionally mistranslated all the "Wipe off the map" quotes, the Palestinain Children's TV show that had Mickey Mouse, and the people who openly say they have an agenda against Arabs.

Considering this source is from jpost, a propoganda website, everyone should take it with a grain of salt.

Both organizations like to mislead, misquote, and mistranslate on purpose to further their propoganda. MEMRI especially has tried to have world goverment officals declare war on Iran, by giving them the false translation of the "Wipe off the map" quote that Ahmadenejad never said, and use that as justification to have pre-emptive strikes on the Iranian population.

This mistranslation is still being echoed by the McCain/Palin camp, as justification to go to war with Iran, in almost every speech they give regarding Iran.

[edit on 26-10-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
MEMRI Error

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Middle East Media Research Institute, aka MEMRI (created by Israeli Mossad agents), the same people that intentionally mistranslated all the "Wipe off the map" quotes, the Palestinain Children's TV show that had Mickey Mouse, and the people who openly say they have an agenda against Arabs.

Actually, the original source of the "wipe off the map" translation appears to be none other than Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), who broke the story (and thus the ensuing hubbub) in English with an article titled "Ahmadinejad: Israel must be wiped off the map". The original article has since disappeared from the IRIB website (at least, I wasn't able to find it) but is still available via archive.org:

web.archive.org...://www.iribnews.ir/Full_en.asp?news_id=200247 ***

The New York Times followed suit by posting a full transcript of the speech which included the "wiped off the map" phrase and from there the controversy snowballed.

MEMRI's own translation never used the phrase, but rather the expression "eliminated from the pages of history" (which appears to be a more accurate interpretation), so blaming MEMRI for a scandal triggered by Iran's own official news agency is a position not supported by the facts.

The Wikipedia article relating to this as well as several other comments made by President Ahmadinejad is very well-sourced and highly recommended for anyone interested in finding out more about how the "wipe Israel off the map" meme got started:

Wikipedia: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Israel

As for the veracity of MEMRI's translations in general, MEMRI's "mission" (founder Yigal Carmon does have an extensive background in Israeli intelligence, for example, although apparently with Aman rather than Mossad), how they may relate to this particular story or the credibility of the Jerusalem Post, for that matter, I always recommend skepticism and certainly do in this case as well.

Whenever any question of authenticity or attribution surrounds controversial claims like these, it is wise to seek corroboration before drawing conclusions.

*** NOTE: This link is broken by the ATS parsing code due to the embedded http string. To access the unbroken web archive URL, it is necessary to quote this post and copy/paste it into a browser.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
so, if US would not attack, then Iran will find a way to make sure an attack happens? UK does not have the cash for a full scale attack on Iran, so all UK can do in this situation would be to nuke Iran. And the rest of the EU countries (28 in total) would help..
my opinion- whoever said this (reporter/newspaper) , he/she was on crack or something!

WITH intelligence, Stealth aircraft, bombers (SURE the Aurora or others that will be IN AND OUT quickly) that won't have a chance to be targets of AA defenses before dropping their smart bombs, wow. The U.S. is the best at one thing; taking out all major structures quickly. This is why tactics used by the U.S. in the Revolutionary war, Vietnam to a degree, Iraq still though SLOWED as many IRAQI have been helping U.S. forces, well, being NOT CENTERED is how to get to U.S. Iraq is not won, U.S. took out the defenses and beat Iraq down in a matter of a week or so, IF THAT. However, holding territory is another thing. I CAN see the nuclear facilities being taken out, in Iran and Pakistan, THEN the next step would be to defend Israel on the ground. A B2 could get in, drop to hit the target, then be gone. ALSO, accidents happen. DROP a nuke then say the "Nuke facility" went off. Thats how Bush would do it.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Deter an attack by the US???

An attack on any US entity or ally will bring doom and destruction down on Iran so fast the world will be left wondering, "hey! where the hell did Iran go?"

Surely someone over there in Iran understands that George Bush has stated that he would not trust a democrat president to properly handle Iran, which means that US air strikes are on a hair trigger where Iran is concerned.

George Bush is probably wishing that Iran would act on this foolish man's words so that he could take care of yet another percieved foe before the end of his term.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
What a great way to live our lives. That 'official' is talking 'offal' no way would an 'attack' of ANY kind on the UK stop the US from attacking Iran. The US has made it's mind up already on what its going to do . I'd suspect attack anyway.
As for 'recommending action' that might as well read ' CALLING ALL SUICIDE BOMBERS' , you know that all the nutjobs will be making their bombs as we speak ready for the greenlight. if they haven't had it already.
And as for attacking the UK so the US won't retalliate is like going after some gangsters old granny, you know that they're gonna hunt you down when the dust has settled and she's back at home covered in bandages.

And anyway , don't target the innocents and the public, you want good publicity try going for the ones that actually make the rules and choose to attack you first. that will be the Government officials and NOT the general Public, How can the 'terrorists' and other 'honourable' followers or supporters justify going after children and women and old folk? sure Men are the main target but women and kids too? No God would say thats ok in my book. Any God that says that is NO true God because isn't God in any religeon supposed to be compassionate?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Seems to me that someone is stirring the pot, Iran have just signed up with Russia and China haven't they? It could be that Iran is goading the west or that someone within the west is cooking up a storm. Eitherway it will no doubt simmer down in a week or so and we can all move on to another topic of discussion.

Sorry I have to add as I know where this thread is heading and its going to get messy, yes the USA has the technology and warmachines, but before this turns into a pissing contest, lets not forget that the illegal IRAQI war has not been a stroll in the park like we thought it was going to be.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is beyond stupidity, they have completely lost there minds.
If they think attacking Iran will deter any attack.
It will do nothing short of bring the total annihilation of UK and anyone who supports there attack. My aim is not to be liable with my previous statements on a given question, but to be liar with the truth as it may present itself to you at a given moment. The result is that I have grown from lie to lie... Setting aside the realibility of the source for a moment, this doesn't make any sense. Attacking Israel would make the US much more likely to attack Tehran not least due to their NATO treaty obligations. It would be totally counter productive, using sand to put out a fire

top topics

<< 1   >>

join