It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good are history books written on characters from history???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I was wondering because of the following. If i had a book wrote on my life by others it would be total garbage, as no one seems to be right about me.

So i was wondering, why bother reading books based on historical characters at all. If people cannot assess people living today, what hope do they have of coming to good conclusions, about people from the past. This is why people should avoid books, written by so called experts on people from the past.

I am not being a historical revisionist, i beleive things like the holocaust happened, mainly because i am sure man can be that bad to fellow man. I think histroy books just give a loose guide to real history.

But like i said, my question is do you, and should you believe books that are written by socalled experts on past figures in history, when even if the person lived today, they would not depict that person at all like he or she is, most probably.

[edit on 10/26/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So I guess you won't be seeing the new movie, "W.?"

I don't understand how you can compare people in your life to thousands (or even millions) of observers who could be by proxy, unknowing editors to the lives of famous people.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

W is such a good example, it is just bull. But what i mean, is why do people think any historical book written on anyone, is anywhere close to the truth.

My life has been so perved into, i am not going into here. But the amount of stuff people get wrong about me, is amazing.

I just wonder why do you people, read books on past figures, and think that is a classic work, or what ever. When that author, probably is totally wrong?

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Hi andy1033, thanks for the post. I think the discussion merits attention. I am firm believer that you are shaped by experiences and that when one reads say a TR biography, hopefully you can discern the strtches in truth. All historical documents are subject to revision but it doesnt mean they are not important.
CJ

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can recommend the autobiopgraphy of Gen H Norman Swarzkoff
It Dosn't take aHero

The autobiography of President Bill Clinton
My Life

The Gaul campaigns of Julius Ceasar
and the civil wars [altho dont read it, it will make your eyes bleed]
get the audio books

great thread
star and flagged

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
While I can readilly admit that most, if not all people, who write books on historical figures have something of an axe to grind and sometimes stretch the truth to back up the conclusions and points that they want you to see, it is still vitally important to read these books. I say this not only because I am a very big History buff, but by reading several books about each person and/or event in history can you get a more balanced view of each. All books have some sort of bias in them, but that's why it is important to read several books about each event or person from history. It's okay that you feel the way that you do. I am only saying how I feel and why I continue to read about history itself.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
He who wins the wars writes the history books.

I've never liked learning history, because the majority of what you learn isn't how it really happened.

I focus more on the present and the future. What's done is done.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

David Icke's book, The Biggest Secret and Children of The Matrix, William Bramley's book, The Gods of Eden all show that much of our recorded "history" is a sham. There's more to mankind's history then is let on.

Start researching into alternate history of man.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalExplanation

"I focus more on the present and the future. What's done is done. "

-------------------------------------------

The past defines the present and the present defines the future. Every action you make carries the momentum of past choices, so to disregard the past implies you are disregarding the present.

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
by reading several books about each person and/or event in history can you get a more balanced view of each.

a very good point
starred

Originally posted by LogicalExplanation
He who wins the wars writes the history books.

I agree with you to point, but the sinking of the General Belgando

en.wikipedia.org...

is just one example of where even in victory, the truth comes and bites the victorius in the arse.

I have to admit it would have been very interesting to read
Saddam Husseins relationships with the US administrations in his own words.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Another good example that parallels what you are saying is funerals.

Funerals are all about revisionist history. People speak of the deceased like they had zero imperfections and were the embodiment of greatness. Which I think is an injustice to them. It's not the truth. Everyone has flaws, and everyone makes mistakes. It's easier to pretend though. It's easier to idolize the perfect hero. When history is written about people, truth is seldom the aim. For better or for worse I suppose, but I prefer the truth.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A much more abstract and truthful way to look at the past is through the art left behind.

"Artists use lies to tell truth, rulers use truth to tell lies."

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

That's a perfect example.

As a former librarian and current writer, I think history is important and written works are substantial to the education of the population as a whole, however I definitely see the point of this thread and agree - if someone wrote a book about me, chances are that only about 20% of the content and information would be correct - and that's just a guess.

I think the "truth" lies in the interpretation of the reader.

This is a great topic for discussion!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Reply to Wally Connley

Agreed with the overall statement. I thought this was an interesting tie in, even if this is some what of different but related subject. A prestigous author (Milan Kundera) writer of Unberable Lightness of Being turns out to be someone different than the world knew.

Milan Kundera
The unbearable weight of history Oct 16th 2008
From The Economist print edition

A long-buried scandal may taint a giant’s reputation

MILAN KUNDERA’S poignant novels epitomised the tragic division of central Europe from the rest of the continent. Works such as “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” told of lives clouded or ruined by totalitarianism.

The story of Miroslav Dvoracek, a Czech spy for the West, would fit well into a Kundera novel. Caught by the secret police in 1950 while on an undercover mission to Prague, he was tortured and then served 14 years in a labour camp. He was lucky not to be executed. He has spent nearly six decades believing that a childhood friend called Iva Militka betrayed him; he had unwisely contacted her during his clandestine trip. Similarly, she has always blamed herself for talking too freely about her visitor to student friends. Now a police record found by Adam Hradilek, a historian at the Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes, in Prague, suggests that it was one of those friends, the young Mr Kundera, who was the informer.

www.economist.com...

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Thanks for the bit of info you provided in your post to this thread. I learned something from it and the article from The Economist, which is a great magazine.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Reply to Wally Conley

Thanks - yeah, I love the Economist - funny how most people get scared of the name but it really is a great read. Also, I was going to mention in my last post, but I have a lot of family from Scotia and Schnectady - was in your town a few months back as my father in law was inducted into the local hall of fame (along with Pat Reily). Nice place!

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

´Surely you´re joking Mr Feynman´~ the story of the ludicrously talented U.S. Mathematician/Scientist Richard Feynman is a very good read.

new topics

top topics

join