It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

went shopping for a handgun...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

There is no such thing as a 9mm Magnum round. And it's spelled Beretta. Did you get a 92? Oh and No I do not feel like God holding a gun. I feel nothing. Prices on guns are going down out here. Which makes no kind of sense since there is so much selling. Hard to get guns or harder like LWRC and high end ARs are EVERYWHERE. Glocks, HKs, Sigs, whatever tons of everything. Next week I am going to drop probably 12K on guns just for me. You can never have too many. This is a awesome time to be a gun nut.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have always liked the Beretta 9mm, but personally i would go for a Walther P99 or a Glock 18.

I love the Walther because it is compact light and just a beautifully made gun, but for stopping power at a lower price i like the Glock 18.

Over here in the U.K. we cannot legally buy weapons save for air pistols that fire steel ball bearings and darts, even then you cannot carry it in public.
I support the proposed move (this was months ago) to give certain police officers the right to carry a firearm.
Personally if a C.I.D. officer is going into a dangerous situation then that officer should have the option of a firearm for personal protection.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
pawn shops are good for lower prices

also try online, there's loads of places

can get a Police issue Glock for $395 online

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I heard that it was illegal for a non law enforcement person to own a Glock 18.

Anyway to add to my previous post i would also highly reccomend the Heckler and Koch (H&K) mK.23 .45 as an alternative to a Beretta.
It is a great looking well made precision handgun.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by full997

In reality more SOT's own Glock 18s than LE....As post dealer samples. I have not run into a department yet that uses the 18, but I know dozens of dealers that do. HK MK 23 is great, 1800-2300 dollars great.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yeah the mk.23 is pricey, i saw one for sale online for $2416!!!
It would seem to be cheaper to buy a blank firing gun and get it illegally converted which is the popular way of getting hold of firearms over here in the U.K.

Until i started looking properly online i didn't realise just how expensive a gun can be and when you factor in the cost of the ammunition on top then you are talking a fair amount of notes.

Just imagine how much it would cost you for a full package of a gun, silencer, scope and extra ammo all together.
It appears to me that the cheapest option to protect yourself will still set you pack a decent sized pile of cash.

You have the right to bear arms and defend yourself.... but only if you can afford it.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I've been stocking up in the event they stop the sale of firearms. I have also noticed that some local stores are running low on ammunition. I am concerned about hunting and my relatives who actually depend upon rifles for their food.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I suppose guns are expensive because of the cost of the materials and the precision with which they must be manufactured. But if you're really paranoid, and look at it as an investment against the coming societal collapse, it's not too ridiculous to spend as much on a handgun as you would a flat-screen TV or a computer.

After all, once society collapses, which is going to do you the most good -- TV, computer, or well-made gun? Can't fend off the radioactive zombies with a TV.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No need to spend a fortune on a H&K MK23. That is a tactical gun and not a practical weapon for the everyday guy.

If .45 is your game check out Springfield xd series. Different frame options and a high cap. double stack mag.

Check out a lightly used sig sauer 226 in 9mm for reliability and quality.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i just bought the springfield xd .45 tactical set me back 550.00 plus i bought three extra mags and a bunch of shells for it now i need to find a green laser for it. the are pretty nice weapons and not that pricey love that gun

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It does seem like guns of all kinds are increasing in price, especially the so-called AWs.

The SKS was selling for about $175. approx two years ago.

The Presidential campaigning started a little before that it seems and now the SKS' are selling for right at $400.

I wonder how much of a break we'll get from campaigning between inauguration day and the next election?

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

AR15s going like hotcakes ammo and mags.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ammo is damn expansive since the wars in afghanistan and iraq started... and it will increase for sure because of Obama's plan to tax them 700%...

And a glock for 395$ in the states? In Canada, I won't find a glock under 700$!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
snip...and it will increase for sure because of Obama's plan to tax them 700%...

You know, I keep hearing this comment being put out there, but I've yet to see/find a source. I certainly wouldn't put it past the incoming administration to do such a thing, but if you or anyone else could provide a link to back up this claim I'd really appreciate it!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

From FactCheck.org:

This claim is based on an article that appeared in the Chicago Defender on Dec. 13, 1999, when Obama was in the Illinois state Senate. According to the Defender, at an anti-gun rally, Obama "outlined his anti-gun plan," which, among other things, sought to "increase the federal taxes by 500 percent on the sale of firearm, ammunition [sic] -- weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths." As a U.S. senator, however, Obama has not pushed for any such tax on ammunition.

We asked the Obama campaign about his position on an ammunition tax but have received no response.

www.factcheck.org...

I'm going to see if I can pull up the actual article from 1999 with LexisNexis or EBSCO or something but so far this is all I can find.

I'm havin trouble getting into the databases from off-site but I found this"

www.armedpolitesociety.com...

Obama unveils federal gun bill

Additionally, he wants an increase of the funds for schools to teach anger management skills for youth between the ages of 5-13. Obama is also seeking to increase the federal taxes by 500 percent on the sale of firearm, ammunition -- weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I Just bought a Beretta Px4 Storm, 9mm. I have to say it is one sweet handgun. I've only put 300 rounds thru it so far, but it handles really well. It wasn't too pricey either. I got the Beretta, holster, & 300 rounds of ammo for about $675. The Storm came in a case with an extra clip, a speed loader, and a cleaning kit.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobKat

I've been stocking up in the event they stop the sale of firearms. I have also noticed that some local stores are running low on ammunition. I am concerned about hunting and my relatives who actually depend upon rifles for their food.

Alot of people (including the gun grabbers) dont realize how many people get their livelihood from the firearm industry. You arent just looking at the gun manufacturers, you have the steel foundries and the companies that make the machines that tool the steel and the deliveries (UPS/FEDex). The list goes on and on...

The economy sucks right now as it is, can you imagine if you start shutting down industries?

-To the OP, good for you on your purchase. My experience is +P's are unneccessary, if youd like proof, ill let you shoot me with a +P if I can shoot you first with a standard round. Also if you are interested, look into the Hi-Point carbine. It takes the same pistol ammo and will give you a little better reach than with your pistol (and they are cheap)

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
"YOU are the weapon; the gun is a tool. For some folks it is the other way around."

- James Yeager

The 1st thing you should do is examine the reason you are getting a gun. Do you have any previous training? If It's for HD and you are on a budget did you consider a shotgun? You can get a Mossberg 500a for around $280. It's a great gun for HD. Do you live alone? , in a house or apartment? Do you have kids? There are many factors that should be considered when purchasing a firearm. Penetration vs knockdown. 38. , 357. 40. , 45. , 9mm. I'm sure you considered all of these before your purchase. As far as the G18 if you have a class III you can purchase it no problem , the Socom MK 23 is for operators (and even THEY don't personaly purchase them) It's built to function in constant exposure and marine enviroments , personally its heavy and ungainly. If you like it but don't want to cough up the dough , check out the H&K USP Tac. (it even has a threaded barrel so you can screw on a can when you're out double tapping tangos)
my reccomendation would be to get a 1911 if you need a 45 (who doesn't) as far as prices go EVERYTHING is more expensive now. (try to find a decent car under $30k) so guess it's just par for the course. I've had my arsenal for a while now and I pick up ammo in bulk. I used to shoot because my job required it but now the reason I shoot is because I enjoy the competition and the stress relief. All I ask is that you get training on your 92 so you know how to run it properly & safely.

Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws.

-- Edward Abbey, "Abbey's Road", 1979

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
the perspective of someone who lives in a country where only criminals are free to buy guns

Now you understand the phrase "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". That's the entire point of the resistance against gun laws. If you're determined to break the law, you can get a gun. You only have to do background checks if you're acquiring them for legal purposes.

Interesting note:Texas Concealed Handgun Law: Ten Years Later

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join