It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Holmes mystery solved by Spitzer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

What happened to Comet Holmes? Just-released observations by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope define the mass and velocity of the explosion: "The energy of the blast was about 1014 joules and the total mass was of order 1010 kg," says Bill Reach of Caltech. In other words, Holmes exploded like 24 kilotons of TNT and ejected 10 million metric tons of dust and gas into space. These numbers fit a model favored by Reach in which a cavern of ice some hundred meters beneath the comet's crust changed phase, from amorphous to crystalline, releasing in transition enough heat to cause Holmes to blow its top.

source

Related Links:
www.spitzer.caltech.edu...

---------

There was lots of speculation about why this comet exploded, but it looks like we know why now. I also seem to recall there were some predictions that there was going to be a second outburst, but that never happened. It seems like we still have much to learn about these enigmatic objects.

Mod edit: Updated link to the source.

[edit on 10/27/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I had my money on that Comet Holmes brightened due to a collision with a rogue asteroid, but as many suspected, it was just a collapse of a cavern. I find it amazing that they could estimate the energy release before hand and have it match actual measurements. Kudos to NASA.

Obscure Comet Brightens Suddenly

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
haha

sorry accident, i'll try again..

hahaha

the delusions gest grander and grander.

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

These numbers fit a model favored by Reach in which a cavern of ice some hundred meters beneath the comet's crust changed phase, from amorphous to crystalline, releasing in transition enough heat to cause Holmes to blow its top.

hehehehe

sorry can't stop..

a cavern..
an ice cavern changes phase??
exploding ice
wait till the chinese hear about this..
we could drop antartica on them..

C.H.U.D.There was lots of speculation about why this comet exploded, but it looks like we know why now.

yes an exploding ICE cavern.

originally posted by C.H.U.D. I also seem to recall there were some predictions that there was going to be a second outburst, but that never happened. It seems like we still have much to learn about these enigmatic objects.

theyre may well be more outbustrs.. a good idea would to watch in and around planetary alignments..

sorry in all seriousness..

i can't do this anymore

daz__

---------

new topics

join