It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As I said in another post. I did something I would have never (in a million years) think I would do. I actually cancelled some appointments and made time to volunteer for the local Obama campaign.

I found it interesting. What I am doing is making calls. I have made several hundred so far and If its a reflection of anything, Obama will win by landslide. Out of 350 calls, 2 supported MCCain, one was because of the Reverand wright dealio. The other was just a person that thought they are a republican. I got 45 Obama, the rest were either Rude, wrong number or undecided.

Anyway, I also got some that thought they were ineligible. This is a breakdown in states and their laws for voting.....it also has a 1-800 number incase they try to disqualify you for some reason.

www.aclu.org...

This is the Email I recieved:

Dear ACLU Supporter,

The ACLU is going all out to protect the right to vote, and we need your help getting critical information out.

We’re distributing hundreds of thousands of voter empowerment cards in eight different languages to 34 states across the country.

Download voting rights information for your state -- and then, share it with as many people as you can.

Insidious tactics are surfacing all across the country that could suppress the vote -- particularly the votes of newly registered and minority voters. Don’t let it happen.

Find out the voting rights in your state, and then forward this to all your friends and family.

The threat that hundreds of thousands of voters will be turned away on Election Day is real.

The ACLU is pulling out all the stops. We’re working on cases across the country, lobbying officials at the Justice Department to take action and directly educating hundreds of thousands of voters to make sure this sacred right is protected.

Just this week in Ohio, Hamilton County Prosecuting Attorney Joseph Deters launched a voter fraud investigation where there is no specific, credible evidence of fraud. The investigation is looking into voters who took advantage of Ohio's five-day window in which a person may simultaneously register to vote and cast a ballot. These unwarranted fraud scare tactics could have a chilling effect on voter turn out of newly registered voters.

This comes just weeks after the ACLU won a resounding victory guaranteeing the right to vote absentee for newly registered voters. We’ve got to reach as many people as possible with direct information about their voting rights -- and you can help.

Do you know the voting rights in your state? Find out, and then, forward this to all your friends and family.

The Supreme Court even had to step in to stop unlawful voter suppression tactics when the Ohio Republican Party tried to challenge new registrations based on small inaccuracies in government databases. If this stunt hadn’t been blocked, failed matches could have resulted in hundreds of thousands of lawful voters being purged from the rolls, challenged at the polls or required to cast provisional ballots.

Unfortunately, Ohio is just one of many states facing voter suppression tactics.

The New York Times reported that election officials in at least nine states are violating federal law by either improperly using Social Security data to screen newly registered voters or removing thousands of voters after the federal deadline for doing so expired.

Find out the voting rights in your state to ensure you (and your friends and family) aren’t turned away on Election Day.

We’ve got to stay on the alert. Please, do all you can to spread the word.

Thank you for all you do,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director
ACLU

Why the ACLU? Because theyre willing to take things like the fisa to court against the government. Theyre the only ones that are really making a stand against it. Thats why!

[edit on 13/10/08 by Douggie]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Douggie

Good on you, Douggie! That ACLU link is great!

Do you have any idea of the number of undecideds you got?

The vote suppression effort is bound to be huge this year, and having this kind of information available will be most helpful...

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Douggie

Well douggie.350 calls and 45 for Obama 2 for McCain so that leaves 303 for the rude,undecided wrong number people.Looks like the rude,undecieded,wrong number people are the ones headed for the landslide.lol

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Way ahead of ya. For the undecideds I leave my number and tell them I would be happy to help them....I have gotten quite a few call backs.

For the Rudes I call back saying "im from the republican party and we dont wanna be run by the black man. Admittingly, McCain will ruin this coutnry just as Bush has....but just cant bear the thought of a black man in office". J/K

Fact is people just dont wanna be bothered over the phone. Christ I get 20 or 30 calls a day from telemarketers. Its to the point, I wont even answer my phone.
But it helps that I get lists that are semi close to me. I tell them where I live and they usually open up.
I was on the phone with one old lady for over an hour. She hung up still undecided but I didnt want her to be too overly anxious about the thing. Christ she was McCains age, a heart attack waiting to happen.

[edit on 13/10/08 by Douggie]

top topics

join