It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand Making U S Passports?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Just read a story on AOL.com (sorry can't Link)
that the making of U S Passports has been outsourced to Thailand! This in my opinion is CRAZY!! My God, is there anything we use that is made in the U S? What are peoples thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK
My God, is there anything we use that is made in the U S? What are peoples thoughts on this?

the bombs .........??

my thoughts on this..., thats good for the thaipeople. it gives them a job.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mae_thoranee

What about National Security? What about millions of Americians being out of work?

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
just what you want some of the most important documents a peron can own and thus criminal element want being made in a country that fakes every thing

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Here's a mention of the same from the Washington Post...

Outsourced passports netting govt. profits, risking national security

The United States has outsourced the manufacturing of its electronic passports to overseas companies — including one in Thailand that was victimized by Chinese espionage — raising concerns that cost savings are being put ahead of national security, an investigation by The Washington Times has found.

The Government Printing Office's decision to export the work has proved lucrative, allowing the agency to book more than $100 million in recent profits by charging the State Department more money for blank passports than it actually costs to make them, according to interviews with federal officials and documents obtained by The Times.

read the full article

So basically you have the Gov't. Printing Office charging the State Dep't. more per passport than it actually costs to make them.   N i c e ... though, it seems there may be a slight problem with them doing so. Especially given that...

...the law that created GPO as the federal government's official printer explicitly requires the agency to break even by charging only enough to recover its costs.

Not to mention the security concerns surrounding outsourcing their production in the first place.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PammyK
reply to post by mae_thoranee

What about National Security? What about millions of Americians being out of work?

well, i dont know who, in your government, came to this decision , but I know that thais are well known for making good fakes of any kind of ...ports, licences, documents
. So imagine they're doing it legally.

For the unemployed in the US of course it is not nice to see , that jobs going abroad. we had this in Germany as well, when Nokia has closed the factories and moved to Rumania. Bad for us, but good for the rumanians but as it is sayed somewhere....

"one man's meat is another man's poison"

as long as greed is still running thru our veins, will there be no justice .

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thais are brilliant at copying and "reproductions", whether it be a swiss watch or a pair of shoes.

In fact at a recent conference of counterfeiting and intellectual property laws, a fake FERRARI was produced as just how good thais are. Not only that, it was a fake of one of the rarest ferraris ever made, a P4.

There were only 3 authentic models made. It was built in a backyard mechanics workshop.

The main tourist strips sell fake ids for all different countries in the open (although this is changing fast) like international student cards, car licenses. They are often perfect.

I wouldn't worry too much about it however. I doubt Thailand is as corrupt as the US has become.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by serpentine

I doubt Thailand is as corrupt as the US has become.

What...I doubt that......thais invented corruption..hrhrhr....I dont know if US has a lot corruption inside, but I definetly know that about Thailand.

new topics

top topics

join