It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why have we lost our compassion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I was reading this story in my local newspaper about a woman and 3 children in Detroit who lost their lives to a housefire. They had their gas shut off and were using a space heater that caught fire and burned the house down, and killed four.

Here's the article:
www.freep.com...

In the comments section, I am appalled at what is being written.
such as:

" The mother rat made it out alive only to breed more welfare babies."

"If you can't feed em, don't breed em." etc. etc.

Where does all this hatred come from? What has happened to us in the US that we are so cold and full of hate?

Four people lost their lives tragically. That's all that matters. Why all the judgmental people? Where's the compassion?

People weren't always like this. What has happened to make people this way?

[edit on 23-10-2008 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This may seem out their, but it is ATS. I truly think part of the reason, and there are many I'm sure, has to do with processed-foods, junk food diets. Our bodies evolved to take in nutrients from foods that nature provides. Foods that are processed have very different nutrient ratio's then natural foods. Zinc deficiency, b6 deficiency etc...can lead to apathy! I experienced this first hand, and have been mostly recovered from megavitamin therapy (orthomolecular).

I think we are conditioned to be numb too. Like from television, movies, books, sociopaths, psychopaths, etc..

There really is no one reason for this. It's happened pretty fast though, as in the last 30-40 years. You gotta look at all of the changes, which are so many, that have occured in that time period.

Also, as far as judging and outright hatred. People bounce back judgments in an insane loop. Judge and be judged. Very few people break the cycle, although ANYONE and everyone is capable. It's a lack of spiritual understanding. People are too busy worrying (key word) about theirselves. Judgment, greed, fear, all blind people to the awareness of others...to empathy. Compassion is the outward manifestation of the inner guidence of conscience. Conscience is the perception that we are all one in essence, all of divine nature. Many people are too egotistical and analytical to take these leaps, cosciously, so they only get glimpses of this and never stay at a level of awareness where they truly empathise.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by unityemissions]

[edit on 23-10-2008 by unityemissions]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The internet. If there is no forum to espouse your feelings, no one can see or hear them.

Racial thinking has always been with humanity, as far as I am concerned. Tis far easier for a lummox to think "hurr...dat man iz not like me and he do things not like me do - me betta den heem!". There is not a way to rid society of this either - Remember Rwanda! Even silly perceived differences in people who others might consider the be the same sometimes cause horrible things to happen.

Of course, in my weird and messed up mind, my first thought was "where the heck was Dad?"... poor lil babies

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I hate to hear stories like that.I think most people in the US are suffering from emotional burnout. Our emotions have been kept in revved up state since 9-11. At first they used terror levels, then the stolen elections. Guantanamo, patriot act, military commissions act, tasering, war on Afghanistan, war on Iraq, war with Iran, poison food and toys from china. The list just goes on. Americans are not cruel creatures their government is.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

I'm afraid I can't blame the government for the way people are acting. It's like it is a dog eat dog world. Take care of numero uno and screw everyone else. We've lost our morals, our compassion and our goodwill towards others.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
My view here is that America is just about as messed up as any place can expect to become. Look at where things started. You had a peaceful, natural continent where things just rolled along with nature. Yeah, the indigenous people had their tiffs but neighbors do now and again. And along come the castaways from the British Isles. Who are they? Religious non-conformists. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but these are puritans. These days we call them, yes, fundamentalists. Not people who like the natural way of things. And their were heathens in the trees.

Add a couple of hundred years of slaves and slave owner mentality into the original recipe along with all the world's tired, sick and homeless. Just as now, those immigrants just wanted a chance to have a better life. Now you immigrants who are spawn from the original immigrant riff-raff that stole the land from the indigenous folk (yeah, you "civilized" them for their sins). Everybody just wants a nicer life. It's just that nothing is enough over there.

Look at your values: You need to sexy. Even well past your reproductive age, you need to remain 20 in looks, mentality and energy level. Madness! What do you people see when you look at each other? Think about that. Seriously. Even if you truly look, whose values are you using when you make a judgment?

What have you got next? Well, you live in a nasty propaganda machine. You swallow what you're told by a very sick gov't which feeds the media which turn around and flatter your vanity with out and out lies. You haven't had freedom of speech in years, if ever, but you don't even realize the extent. I didn't realize fully until I came to live in Northern Europe half my life ago. We still have more freedom here than I knew back when I lived there. Forget about it. You've been suckered. Now you're worse off than ever because the "freedoms" you thought you had are gone. You've lost the plot.

But you've never treated people well. Just have a look at Harriet Tubman's life story for an example. Not extraordinary for a slave. But she never got a break. You people never give anybody a break. And nobody has the right to be there but you! What give you the right to shout that the should go back where they came from as soon as they do anything that you personally do not agree with - at least when they do it? What about your professed tolerance? What about a look in the mirror now and again for a truly sobering moment.

Oh, your arrogance is mortifying. You've exported your McConsciousness, your McCapitalism, your McGreed to the rest of the world systematically and have unfortunately appealed to the vanity in the rest of us out here so that we too have school shootings and increasing violence and fear replacing our former peace and security. I thank you not. What makes you think democracy is the best system? Because you're told so. Your leaders have divided and conquered. Your imaginary world is showing its teeth now and they're sunk in your own backside. Iraq isn't better for having known you. Nor is any other country that has felt your benevolent touch. Old Condi Rice can jet around the planet pointing the finger at others, telling them they have no right to treat X, Y and Z as they do and that their actions are illegal. You over there don't see the rabid hypocrisy of that?! Holy mother of all. Get a mirror!

I could continue on for some time in this vein but I think I've at least given an inkling as to why and how these things happen. There's a whole lot more than just this bit, of course. And it's always been there. You just delude yourselves that you're the greatest. Now you're starting to grow up and see what you've become.

Gotta go make breakfast for my kids. Yeah, every morning for the past 20 years... It's not cereal either. I make time for the ones I love.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark W. Griswold

Those remarks go way past insensitive. If a reporter wrote them, then he/she should be fired on the spot. No questions other that "Did you write this?" If the answer is "Yes," then they are out the door, don't even let them clean out their desk.
If this was in the comments section, then these people need a lesson in humility.
I'm a redneck, and proud of it. I have worked hard all my life. But a mother who is trying her best to take car of her children? Jesus Christ, I would be happy to contribute a few bucks to keep the power on. (I have purchased medication, expensive medication, for people who couldn't afford it. And I did it without anyone, other than the pharmacist knowing. And since you folks don't know my real name, or exactly where I live, then you don't either. It was always an act of charity.
I have never understood how people can be so cold.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As humans existing in a realm of electronics, we forget that here are faces behind every single letter out there. In some cases it's the point and opportunity to spew filth.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Excellent!
I do not only completely agree, but I also have had this theory for some time. I eat organic foods as much as possible as to obtain optimal health, especially with college (optimal thinking). Of course, do not forget the perpetuality between wealth and the food we eat. I actually think that besides money itself being the largest conspiracy in history, that the food and drug industry are in easy second (since they are a result of money).

I am befriending you instantly. I have seen your other thread too about action. Great!

P.S. Anyone who talks of compassion and empathy as you did is right on in my book!

[edit on 24-10-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Oh man I can't stand when people write such rubbish. It's totally out of line.

What better place than the internet to spout hate, negativity, and other hurtful rubbish? The anonymity allows for a person's true nature to come out without the risk of anyone else knowing who it is. That's why you see so much crap in comments, forums, and other places where online communities form and communications are regular.

If you were in a group of 100 people and something happened that could be considered discriminating, who would be the first people to react? I'd place my bet on the angry people who would rather dwell on people's differences than tolerate them. Usually it's the peaceful, tolerant, mature folks who are quiet and, well, peaceful.

new topics

top topics

join