It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien "waves" - Distance/Development

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This idea is based on numbers taken from atlasoftheuniverse.com and assumes;

Assumptions

- Non-terrestrial vehicles are real [my favourite classics]
- They are interstellar in origin [well it seems a reasonable assumption!]
- most importantly somehow Faster than Light travel is possible [short time between atomic tests and the beginning of it all]
Distance versus Stars

33 stars within 12.5 light years of Sol.
109 stars within 20 light years of Sol.
2000 stars within 50 light years of Sol.
260,000 stars within 250 light years of Sol.

I tried graphing that but it looked silly, this shows as you increase linear distance from Earth you get an exponential increase in the number of stars.

Distance versus Development

More stars = better chances of finding developed FTL civilisations versus less developed FTL civilisations.

A developed FTL civilisation gets here quicker and shows less "interest", than a lesser FTL civilisation; quicker because distance does not also vary exponentionaly, less "interest" because we are further away.

Waves

Assuming a less developed FTL civilisation is closer, they take longer to react to events of interest, yet the events of interest ie. nuclear testing, are more relevant to them as they are closer.

So its my idea based on the above that encounters with civilisations may follow "waves" and that perhaps though a lesser developed civilisation will take longer to react, when they do there will be more of them.

I would like to hear your thoughts! Specifically any ideas on connections between distance/chances of finding FTL civilisations.

new topics

join