It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game release delayed amid fears of offense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Game release delayed amid fears of offense

news.bbc.co.uk

Sony has postponed the global release of a much-anticipated video game due to concerns that it may offend Muslims.

Copies of LittleBigPlanet are being recalled from shops worldwide after it emerged that a background music track contained two phrases from the Koran.

Sony issued an apology for any offence that its use of the backing track might have caused.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Second BBC news article from me, I nearly didn't post this one as I don't want to offend anyone, but:

Surely if a game, or any entertainment medium - a book, a song etc - does contain material that might offend particular sections of society, we're now able to label it as containing that material so that people can make an informed choice regarding consumption?

It seems odd to withdraw entirely this game and redevelop it on those grounds, or am I getting it totally wrong?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
If it offends you.....don't play it! It aint hard!

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yeah it was because one of the songs in the game had verses form the Koran. Sony decided to recall the game and remove the song. The funny part is that the Muslims are protesting the recall. Their reason is that it should be up to the consumer and not the publisher whether to be offended or not.

I completely agree with them. If they have no problem with the content, why is there an issue? Let the people decide for once.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Do you blame them though?

You know the extremists will threaten to do something violent in protest.

Soory for one line

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
That's the implied concern that's driven the whole silly situation, no doubt. However, by shying away from offending those holding extreme views, don't we make it progressively harder for freedom of expression to be something we are able to exercise?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Do you blame them though?

You know the extremists will threaten to do something violent in protest.

Soory for one line

Yes I do blame them. Rockstar never cared about all the people it would offend with the Grand Theft Auto series, Saturday Night Live, South Park, the list is quite large. I would think Americans would be up in arms about this. It could be seen as an infringement on the Right to Free Speech. There will always be extremists from every group imaginable, if you start to cater to them, then they win.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Like Rook said..!

Honestly, I do think you're right. Yet another way that our freedom is being chipped away at gradually.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't condone the actions. Don't get me wrong. But just because Muslims in general say to release the game, does not mean that everything will be hunky dory. People might get offended, and go violent. They have done it in the past for minuscule reasons. Sony has millions or billions in assets that can be hit, not to mention the lives of all the workers.

I dunno . . .

I say release the damn game.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Usually there is outrage and then a recall. Not a recall on possible outrage. If Sony was so concerned they would have touched the Koran at all.

I bet after all the hype for this game the truth that it was just a fancy platformer for children was coming out so they had to 'demonize' it and make it special to justify demand.

Sony isnt doing too well this holiday season and this recall isnt going to be cheap.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually, it was one of the most anticipated game of the year by all ages. Most of the gamers I know have had it preordered forever.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is a blatant publicity stunt, this story has been everywhere, from gaming sites to international news programs, this song has been out for over a year and no complaints

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Actually, it was one of the most anticipated game of the year by all ages. Most of the gamers I know have had it preordered forever.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said "justify the hype" and "truth coming out."
I dont know what the original promises were that made the prospect of the game so attractive but everything I've seen and experiences it's like a shiny Mario Brothers. Doesnt seem worth the outrage or the consumer demand.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Maybe the Muslims are upset because the lyrics were supposed to be used to implement a subliminal message. Or it was the key words for the sleeper cells to activate. haha just messing around. Kind of odd that they would recall it though.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The story I'm getting is that it was removed due to complaints from beta testers.

Beta testing for a global release like this is not just about the tech end - it's also market testing. Sony got the word that some people might find it offensive. They made the call to remove that from their product - so that it could be enjoyed (read: bought) by more people, spreading happiness (read: increase sales figures and/ or stock price) throughout the land (read: boardroom).

Nothing new here, just marketing at work.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Maybe Sony is scared of offending anyone by putting a few lines from the Koran into a game that had nothing to do with it, and since "Muslim" religion is such a touchy topic now-a-days they are worried about being sued.

Personally, i think this is a hint of things to come. I would bet that this only happens in the US. Ever since we have gotten involved with the middle east its been muslim this terrorist that, obama blah blah blah. when will it end? hell back in the 70's and 80's it was communism. *sigh* people always need something to worry about.

abolish religion, its only holding us back

push for cognitive thought and rationality

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

You cant just write over all of the discs that have been published with the new code. This has to be some damn game to erase the loss of a post-publishing recall. Given that I doubt that the motivation is simply to profit. Post-publishing recalls have been known to bankrupt smaller companies. Even releasing patches have killed off small developers whos initial product came out weak.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

The problem was it was in a song, not part of the gameplay. I am not even sure if you would notice it. I know when I play games the background music is just that, background. If it doesn't affect the gameplay, I don't even really pay attention. Like others have said it is the marketing of it. Alot of people were already jacked to play, now with the added hype more nongaming people have become aware of the game and are reading up on it. Since every article I have read either includes; a synopsis of the game, or a link to a site like gamespy or IGN and a preview, people are finding out what the game is about and getting interested in it. It is a page right out of Rockstar's book. Gain publicity and interest through content inclusions.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

clearly a marketing ploy, but with the recall and the "alteration" of the music, it wont be in the game anymore. i dont not know how this became an issue or anything, but was it noticed by a muslim group and did they complain about it to make sony recall the game? what was the cause of this?

also, does the inclusion of the two lines to the song change the song in its entirety? are the lines word of wisdom or is it along the lines of "death to america"?

for it to be recalled i would think that it is closer to the latter, and for it to become such a big deal is retarded.

kids need words of wisdom, it makes them a more rational person, more morals so to speak. do unto others and the like

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyHarry
Maybe Sony is scared of offending anyone by putting a few lines from the Koran into a game that had nothing to do with it, and since "Muslim" religion is such a touchy topic now-a-days they are worried about being sued.

Actually, after a bit more digging, it seems Sony's reaction stems from this incident in 2007:

Church of England Demands Apology

Sony Apologizes to Church of England

Looks to me like they're trying to learn from past mistakes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join