It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police preparing for election day riots

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by This American

I suspect that if there is rioting, it will be in places where the population is more concentrated, and in urban areas where people are closer together, there are people of all colors and religions there, not just black.

But please, don't exclude white people from being capable of violence. I could be wrong about the intent of some on this thread, of course, but that's how some of these "Obama supporters expected to riot" threads tend to wind up coming off, that white people are innocent and blacks are the perpetrators.

And, please don't assume that supporters of Obama are more likely to riot, excluding color as an issue.

There has been plenty of hatred shown on both sides of the issue, and Mccain's supporters can be very extreme in their views, just like anyone else can.

The point is, why single out a group to pick on? Why not unite and combat the real problem, robots that want to steal our medicine.

www.nbc.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Recent US History clearly shows that there is a historical precedent for thinking that African-American communities are more likely to riot.

Is looking back at history racist? I don't think so.

But I will openly admit to the fact that the African-American community will get vocal or demonstrate when they have been (or feel they have been) wronged.

Maybe if the Caucasians in America would also get vocal and demonstrative when they have been (or feel they have been) wronged, our politicians would be held more in check and our rights would not get trampled upon regularly.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Kick people in the teeth too often, and keep them powerless for too long,
and they will eventually decide they have nothing to lose.

The last two elections have been stolen, and the politicians foisted on America have sucked that great country dry.

People are desperate. A third stolen election would quite likely be the last straw.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Could you please point out where you are seeing a historical precedent for black people being more prone to rioting from the list you provided?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i heard thousands of puppy's are going to attack the whitehouse and poop all over the lawy.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by chickenshoes

But please, don't exclude white people from being capable of violence.

Hey far from me CS to do that, I along with probably a majority on this entire site recognize that so called "white" string pullers at the VERY top of the financial/political pyramid and their puppets of ALL colors have murdered and robbed more lives and destroyed more property than perhaps about anyone, and I agree violence perse is color blind.

But one thing I find strange is that so many people seem to look at Obama as a "black" man when I thought he was equally "white". And why do some blacks think he is going to be their "medicine" just because his skin is a more tanned shade than other caucasions? That to me might seem a bit 'prejudice'.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I think if he wins (and I think he will) there are going to be many many very disillusioned people when they see he serves many of the SAME corporate/political masters at the very top of the pyramid that McCain does, and though there may be a FEW different programs handed out to his "supporters" overall to get them on board, his Change IMO is going to be a smoke and mirrors program.

I have to wonder when and if he brings back the draft for yet another fraudulant war and starts throwing live meat on the fire, of which many will be his 'black brothers", how many in the African Am. community will view him then.

I personally could care less whether his skin is black, brown, green, or purple, what I would hope rather is that he serves the Founders vison of a FREE America, one based upon our Constitution and Bill of Rights, one staying out of foreign entanglements, one living within one's means, out of debt, bringing jobs back home (and NOT in any forced public service or FORCED Military servitude) and creating an environment where we can all prosper by our OWN means and own initiative, not playing favorites for ANYONE. And though I believe everyone should be given a chance to show who they really are and not be PRE-judged, I will believe OB is The Man when I see it with my own eyes and hear it with my own ears. Time will tell I guess.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hey, fair enough.

You have to admit, though, there are plenty out there who seem to think black Americans (or even just Obama supporters in general) are going to ape poopie if Obama doesn't win, and I cannot wrap my brain around it.

And, I also think the very same things you just said of Obama could also be said about McCain.

Only time will tell.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by hippy2012

Time time time time time time time time.. LOL

However, I agree....

~Mags

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I cannot in my life remember the intensity of any other presidential election and pondering the possile outcome regarding whoever wins or loses. its mind blowing. For me I cannot even imagine a late night congragalatory phone call from either party member, Too bad our choices were so limited. I may just turn off the tv and radio for a few days and go fishing, by then the smoke should be clear enough to see whos still standing

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Maybe this is all part of the plan.

The media and the powers that be. They have brought turmoil, disgust and disillusionment the people. They have set up the scenario for desperation, a scene where only a true savior, American Hollywood style, can save the day. And they delivered that savior (Obama).

They have set the polls so close to encourage emotions to surge. They have elevated Obama to savior status. But at the last possible moment when things look overwhelmingly in Obama's favor they will pull the rug out from under him, and Mccain wins.(keeping him close enough in polling so that it was still an outside chance he could win without it looking rigged)

This will cause the hellfire of chaos and in comes the army. etc etc etc.

Of course this is just another hollywood script. But I think it ould make a good movie. Still working on the ending though, any ideas?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chickenshoes

Many of the "civil disturbances" on that wiki page are click-able and you can read up on them. Google is your friend for the ones that aren't.

Don't forget to go to the footnoted source sites for more information on the click-able items.

I've always found that doing the research for myself helps me to learn more. Don't you agree?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm sorry to say but i don't think Obama is going to win Now before you jump on me I don't live in America so this is just my personal thoughts.

The whole election is just run for the sheeple We all know that they are just the face in the white house and nothing more.

As i said before i don't think Obama is going to win and Yes you will see people riot and go crazy but what will it achieve? Nothing

Even if Obama wins not much is going to change Only the face

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Many of the "civil disturbances" on that wiki page are click-able and you can read up on them. Google is your friend for the ones that aren't.

Don't forget to go to the footnoted source sites for more information on the click-able items.

I've always found that doing the research for myself helps me to learn more. Don't you agree?

Hey, I did click on some of them, and please try to understand, I do not have time to go through the entire list, however, what I saw there by no means confirmed your assertion that black people are more prone to rioting than a person of any other race.

I saw several different races being represented in your list, including (gasp) white people.

Pine Ridge and Wounded Knee would hardly be black people, would it?

What about the Zoot Suit riots? or Woodstock '99? or the University of Minnesota hockey riots? or the San Bernadino punk riot? or the Kent State riots? or the Hard Hat riot?

And what about the Greensboro massacre? Five black people were shot by members of the Ku Klux Klan. But I suppose you'd say that it was the black people's fault because they shouldn't have been marching in the first place. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me

There are plenty more examples of non black riots on that page, maybe you're the one who needs to bone up a bit on history?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by waterdoctor
There have been problems in cities after the home team won, super bowl, world series, NCAA national championship. With the way people are thinking now this is just another "big game". You put 100,000 people on the street and all it takes is 5% to cause a really big mess. So to think that we will not have a problem in some cities is thinking the best of people. To think that we may have problems in some cities is prudent. I think that I will stay home that night.

Exactly, we had riots here in Chicago after the Bulls won back in the 90s ... it was pretty bad. They even had bans considered for selling alcohol IN BARS after the 7th inning of Cubs and Sox playoff games that decided a series ... just to curb some of the stupidity.

I would love to be at a rally of a winning candidate ... but there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going downtown tomorrow ... whether Obama wins or loses. Either way something stupid will happen (even if on a minor scale).

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Sorry you don't "have the time" chickenshoes. Here's a bit of help, again, a simple google search for race riots....

Civil Rights and Black Power Movement's Period: 1955 - 1977

* 1958: Battle of Hayes Pond
* 1964: Harlem Riot
* 1964: Philadelphia 1964 race riot
* 1964 Rochester riot
* 1965: Watts Riots
* 1966: Hough Riots
* 1966: North Omaha, Nebraska
* 1967: Texas Southern University Riot (Houston, TX)
* 1967: 12th Street Riot, Detroit
* 1967: Buffalo riot, Buffalo, New York
* 1967: Milwaukee Riot
* 1967: Minneapolis North Side Riots
* 1967: 1967 Newark riots
* 1968: Orangeburg massacre
* 1968: Nationwide riots following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
o 1968: Baltimore riot of 1968
o 1968: Chicago (April 1968)
o 1968: Louisville riots of 1968
o 1968: 1968 Washington, D.C. riots
* 1969: York, Pennsylvania race riots
* 1970: Jackson State killings
* 1971: Camden Riots
* 1972-1977: Escambia High riots in Pensacola, Florida

Modern

* 1980: Miami Riots
* 1980: Chattanooga Riot
* 1990: Inglewood High School riot: A riot that broke out in front of the school between 30 Latino and Blacks after the black students leave the Cinco de Mayo day as revenge for running out on Black History Day.
* 1991: Crown Heights Riot
* 1992: Los Angeles Riots: In a reaction to the acquittal of all LA police officers involved in the videotaped beating of Rodney King; riots broke out mainly involving Black youth in the Black neighborhoods.
* 1996: St. Petersburg Riots: After Officer Jim Knight stopped 18 yr. old Tyron Lewis for speeding, his car lurched forward causing Knight to fire his weapon, fatally wounding the black teenager. Riots broke out and lasted for about 2 days.
* 2001: Cincinnati Riots: In a reaction to the acquittal of Steven Roach after the fatal shooting of an unarmed young Black male, Timothy Thomas, during a foot pursuit, riots broke out over the span of a few days.
* 2003: Benton Harbor Riot
* 2005: 2005 Toledo Riot: A race riot that broke out after the Neo Nazi protest marched through a black neighborhood.
* 2006: Fontana High School riot: Riot involving about 500 Latino and black students[47]
* 2006: Prison Race Riots: A war between Latino and black prison gangs set off a series of riots across California[48][49]
* 2008: Locke High School riot[50]
* 2008: Hempstead High School riot. Two days of fighting between Hispanic and black kids.[51]

source

That the last 50 years. Can't possibly imagine why people would think that the African-American community is more likely to riot.

Granted... The majority of them were during the Civil Rights Movement, and I don't for one minute think those riots were a completely bad thing - they did get the change that was wanted, but at a very high price. Like the way people will think that African American communities are more prone to riots.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Yes, [edit-most of] these took place during the civil rights movement, so there would be more in the past 50 years, but they definitely are not the biggest part of the list. That's what you seem to be missing.

From what I could see, a great many races and cultures were represented in the list, not just one.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If they really want to try out their riot squad stuff, the training, then the announcement will be tonight, other wise it will be tomorrow before we find out who wins/looses.

God's Bless America! (To each his own)
I voted for the Constitutional Party.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I don't deny t. But history does, as I said before, show us that the African American community is more likely to be very vocal and demonstrative if and when the are/feel they have been wronged.

And guess what... It has worked for them more times than not to effect changes they want.

There is NOTHING wrong with being vocal or peaceful demonstrations. Why things turn into riots... well there are many reasons - youth, hotheads, jackboot law enforcement, etc.

It is not racist to look at history objectively. Even other 'races' (even though we are all one race - human) have been successful when they have become vocal and demonstrative for change. And YES, there is a historical precedent there too.

Dude, I'm from New Orleans - I know very well just how being vocal and demonstrative can effect change when properly utilized.

I think it is just as unfair to others when we have history of the Rodney King Riots, the Libertytown riots, Jenna 6, Crown Heights, Seattle, Cincinnati, New Orleans post Katrina all being broadcast over TV during our lifetimes to say that thinking a riot is more likely to occur in an African American community is unfair or racist.

You may not agree, and that is your right. But remember that racism goes both ways. African Americans are just as racist as Caucasians. The people who would rather hate are not restricted by the color of their skin. There's hate on both sides.

It's not a personal or a racial attack when someone is looking back at history, at least the history they remember hearing about or watching on the news.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I did see a lot of cops on the streets this morning as I ran my errands...the only trouble I saw was where a mini van and city bus had an accident...But Albuquerque is not the place for this type of civil unrest...take away our Sunday liquor sales and oh boy look out!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join