It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans implicated in phone jamming of 2002 New Hampshire election and now Michigan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I was watching some CNN videos and came across one in particular about an individual who was hired by 2 republican officials to jam the democratic party phone lines in New Hampshire.

While this is an incident that happened 6 years ago, it is a reminder to all of us that there are officials up top that will go through any length to achieve their end.

video.yahoo.com...

The story here...

edition.cnn.com...

"The concept was to disrupt lines of communication. That's a fancy way of saying, 'make it so the phones didn't work,' " Raymond said recently. "No calls going out. No calls going in."

It really makes you wonder just how long this strategy has been used.

After I started this thread, I came to find out about yet another situation regarding Michigan African American voters and the GOP seeking to void their voter eligibility. The video is linked farther down within this thread.

Peace

[edit on 22-10-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How does jamming phone lines prevent people from voting?

Just curious?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Its was interfering with the campaign headquarters phone center.
Impeding their ability to contact voters.

The individual in the video was prosecuted and did time for the crime.

Now, if your interested in real obstruction of voting, you should again watch this video regarding Michigan. The Republican party sought to prevent African American voters whose homes had been foreclosed upon from voting.

This is sad when we seek to try to prevent voters from voting. The conservative right is really showing that they are not being fair at all in this particular case.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Oh... my... Gosh...!

Oh, wait a minute... this is old stuff.

At least they weren't out registering dead people, felons, and Micky Mouse for the vote.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY

This is sad when we seek to try to prevent voters from voting. The conservative right is really showing that they are not being fair at all in this particular case.

Peace

Nobody has to call me on election day to remind me to vote....if you have to be reminded, do you really need to vote anyway?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Oh... my... Gosh...!

Oh, wait a minute... this is old stuff.

At least they weren't out registering dead people, felons, and Micky Mouse for the vote.

The first issue was old, yet a recent story on CNN. Further research yielded the Michigan scandal which is under way.

Well, it appears that when you have a foreclosure, that the GOP realized that you wouldnt be able to match an address and thus nullifying a valid voter.

The new Hampshire issue wasn't prosecuted until 2004, and the Michigan case is underway.

The Macomb County Republican Party chair who told Michigan Messenger earlier this week that Republicans planned to challenge voters at the polls using a list of foreclosed homes has changed his story.

and now...

When asked whether Michigan Republicans plan to create a challenge list based on returned direct mail, a practice known as “vote caging,” Doster replied, “I think so. I know this has been done in years past … both parties may be doing this.”

michiganmessenger.com...

Voter caging? Someone moves, and the vote certification comes back as unregistered. Yet another blight coming to light.

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative Nobody has to call me on election day to remind me to vote....if you have to be reminded, do you really need to vote anyway?

I guess you've never worked on a campaign, have you? Workers call their supporters list to see if anybody needs a ride to the polls, perhaps give a little nudge to somebody who has plunked themselves down for the evening without stopping at the polls first. It's a sound election day practice.
If you want some perspective, look at it this way...picture a Democrat jamming the phones at a Republican campaign office. That's it...righteous indignation at the sorrowful abuse from left-wing America-haters.

Only in reverse...

See?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
If you want some perspective, look at it this way...picture a Democrat jamming the phones at a Republican campaign office. That's it...righteous indignation at the sorrowful abuse from left-wing America-haters.

Only in reverse...

See?

Oh, like going to Republican Headquarters and slashing all the tires on their "get out the vote" vans like they did in Wisconsin (or was it Minnesota?) 4 years ago

OK I get it now! Thanks!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It bothers me as an American to see publicly appointed officials attack voters.

I personally think we need to remove the designation of party from our registration so that neither party can differentiate our affiliation thus making voter registration nullification based on either parties needs a much more trying task.

With the advent of electronic voting, voter orientation will be available to the Government either way thus allowing itself to be potentially abused.

How do we solve this?

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative Oh, like going to Republican Headquarters and slashing all the tires on their "get out the vote" vans like they did in Wisconsin (or was it Minnesota?) 4 years ago

I'll tell you one thing...jerks come in all colours, sizes, shapes and political affiliations. I hope they got busted for that one.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY I personally think we need to remove the designation of party from our registration so that neither party can differentiate our affiliation thus making voter registration nullification based on either parties needs a much more trying task.

Yah, that 's one thing I don't get about voting in the US...how is that a secret ballot? We have our choices...we're simply registered to vote, bring the right ID, put an X in the circle...end of story.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Let whatever party that is without sin cast the first stone.

peace

top topics

join