It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant talks to the world

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Plant talks to the world

uk.news.yahoo.com

A pot plant in a Japanese cafe has been writing her own blog on a computer to keep customers posted on its thoughts.

Engineer Satoshi Kuribayashi, who has been studying how to communicate with plants, helped Midori-san express herself.

He wired up the hoya kerrii, commonly known as a "sweetheart plant", to a sensor that measures bio-electric signals and translates them into Japanese using a computer algorithm.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is pretty cool!!

A typical blog entry reads: "Today was a sunny day and I was able to sunbathe a lot. I had quite a bit of fun today."

A plant!!

I wonder what else we can make talk - i wouldn't mind knowing what a nice red rhododendron has to say for itself.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes, this is just another evidence that even plants have similar characteristics like us, plants also feel the pain when they are cut, and they communicate through the variation in the minute current flowing thorugh the root cells.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Yes, this is just another evidence that even plants have similar characteristics like us, plants also feel the pain when they are cut,

There's only one way to find out if this is true once and for all - head to the cafe, cut off a few of its leaves and see what it writes about.

If it says, "I am happy" we will then know with some certainty that plants don't feel pain

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

A typical blog entry reads: "Today was a sunny day and I was able to sunbathe a lot. I had quite a bit of fun today."

Yeah a typical, pre-programmed blog entry.

Come on I'm all for plants having some sort of 'feeling' but why would it think to write that it was able to sunbathe? Why not tell us about how much fun photosynthesis is instead?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If I hooked up the sensors right, and programmed it right, I could make dog poop talk.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Plants are amazing, think of the natural intelligence they hold. Nature in its finest. They are not educated yet they continue to astound us as we become more intune with the miracle that they have to show us.

This is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So what is it saying????

I'm curious. Probably nothing good and gloom and doom.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
So what is it saying????

I'm curious. Probably nothing good and gloom and doom.

Thats all we need now, some plant giving doomsday predictions.

***This just in***

Bunch of posies predicts complete global market crash for 1st december 08!

Head for the hills

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

More like "Some guy used my pot as an ashtray today...gee it made me sooooo mad lolz!"

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It may have well been saying it enjoyed photosynthesis, but it may be that the program is simply designed to translate whatever signals it recieves into the simplest expression.

errgo, an enitre page on how cool photosynthesis is cool for the plant is easily summarized by saying, "I enjoyed sunbathing today". Obviously the photosynthesis occured anyways right?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Yes photosynthesis most definitely happened...

And I'll g out on a limb here and say that would be about all that was happening too.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I knew it..

I swear to God my plants talk to me all the time.

See? I'm not crazy!

I always talk to them and say things like, "Ok, in the end I am going to eat you, or make medicine out of you, but until then I'm going to give you lots of water and dirt and fertalizer and I'm going to save your seeds and make sure you grow new plants."

And they seem to like that. They always grow big and productive. Much more so than not-talked-to plants.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

It does sound kooky, but quite a few people have admitted this to me as well. I remember my mother discussing her habit of talking to houseplants when I was a child. I quite unequivocally stated, "But please, Mommy, let's just keep that a secret, okay?"

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think of it as a tit-for-tat spiritual thing... I care for them during their life, and then they return by releasing as many nutrients as they can.

I practice a lot of herbal and homeopathic medicine (not as an N.D., just on my self and family.) and in these medicine systems, there is a very strong line of thought that it's not actually the plant extracts that cause the healing, but the "essence" of the plant.

This used to be laughed at but articles like this are coming closer to vindicating such ideas of healing being as much spiritually based as physical.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Yes, this is just another evidence that even plants have similar characteristics like us, plants also feel the pain when they are cut, and they communicate through the variation in the minute current flowing thorugh the root cells.

so what your saying is save the plants, eat a vegetarian and hold the salad?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

so what your saying is save the plants, eat a vegetarian and hold the salad?

Everything we do has a consequence... especially eating... in order to do anything we have to take from something else. That's why tribal communities were so quick to offer sacrifices, I think; they realized that everything, including plants, was in its own way conscious and alive.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This guy is another Cleve Backster.

(for more info: skepdic.com... )

In layman's terms, plants don't have brains or anything similar to brains.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Plants aren't "intelligent", it's debatable if they even feel pain.

How this program works is that it would just be set up to blog at a certain time every day, or maybe psuedo-randomly generated based on algorithms. Like the article/video says, it's not even the plant itself that is communicating in any way. It's just being a regular plant and the sensors translate the condition of the plant using pre-selected phrases. It's basically an extremely simple chatbot.

"If soil pH 6.5 < x < 7.0, print "I feel full"
"If water absorption rate > 2 ml / minute, print "I feel thirsty"
"If green leaf pigment produces wavelength of 530 nanometers...."

Yes, the plant is sooo smart

It would be a neat program to have if you were in the business of growing prize-winning vegetables where you want to get light exposure, amount of water, heat, etc perfectly ideal. But it would be better to just show the figures in something thermometer-like with the ideal point listed. Otherwise this has no real application.

That being said, I've been fascinated with growing things from seeds for about the past two years, and I've grown stuff from pretty much every vegetable/fruit we get at the grocery store. I've got a baby orange tree and prickly pear cactus growing on my windowsill right now
. But I don't go to the extent of assigning them their own personalities. I wouldn't say it's a miracle, but it's still pretty neat.

[edit on 10/21/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Save the plants! Eat more meat!

YAY!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join