It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Cancels Thur. and Fri. Events To Visit Ailing Grandmother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Its just breaking on MSNBC.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama is canceling nearly all his campaign events Thursday and Friday to fly to Hawaii to visit his suddenly ill 85-year-old grandmother, his spokesman said.

Not sure if it will have any significance in the long run. Either way prayers for him and his family.

[edit on 10/20/2008 by AndrewTB]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is stupid and low....not because his grandmother is sick, but that the media is making a big deal of it all and trying to make Obama seem more loving and caring then McCain...which IF McCain's grandmother, if she were around, fell Ill I am sure he would do the same thing to...just like the rest of us.

I didn't know that doing something that the rest of us (or atleast normal people) would do is now news worthy and supposed to make him out to be "above average"!

I love near the end of the article:

Citing the family's desire for privacy, Gibbs would not discuss the nature of Dunham's illness. It seemed likely that she was close to death, as Gibbs said that "everyone understands the decision that Sen. Obama is making."

It could be a momentous one for his bid for the White House against Republican John McCain, with Election Day just two weeks away on Nov. 4.

In a campaign ad this year, Obama described his Dunham as the daughter of a Midwest oil company clerk who "taught me values straight from the Kansas heartland" — things like "accountability and self-reliance. Love of country. Working hard without making excuses. Treating your neighbor as you'd like to be treated."

She's also the "white grandmother" he referred to in a speech on race.

So his grandma is possibly dying and they turn it into "vote for Obama, he has values"....this is sick....and YES it would be if McCain pulled this crap too....Family is above ANY office and this should all be done in private with NO comments made to the press. If the press WANTS to report anything a simple statement, "Obama visits ailing grandmother, will resume his tour on saturday". Thats it...nothing more...no comments about how this will help/hinder, no comments about how he has values because of this decision, etc....its not the place for it!

[edit on 10/20/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for answering my question before I asked it....I was wondering if it was his "White grandmother" or his "Muslim grandmother".

[edit on 20-10-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

So his grandma is possibly dying and they turn it into "vote for Obama, he has values"....this is sick....and YES it would be if McCain pulled this crap too....Family is above ANY office and this should all be done in private with NO comments made to the press. If the press WANTS to report anything a simple statement, "Obama visits ailing grandmother, will resume his tour on saturday". Thats it...nothing more...no comments about how this will help/hinder, no comments about how he has values because of this decision, etc....its not the place for it!

So explain why they can't speculate on the impact this will have on his campaign... Are you saying there will be no impact at all?

And I think you need to look over the article a little more when it comes to the comments about his values because those were not the words of the media but the words of Obama in a campaign add earlier this year. So you basically just wrote a novel bashing the article and you have it all wrong.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
When I saw this headline on CNN, my first thought:

"Why is this news?"

I stand by my first thought.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Politics is not everything. Just because you are in the public eye, you do not have to make every event in your life "politically motivated."

Let Barack Obama visit the grandmother who raised him, who nurtured him, and who educated him at Punahou.

And yes even though I posted the "Snap out of it," article, I do not think Obama is "evil," nor do I think he is a terrible person.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by SkipShipman]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
this isn't the grandmother that said he was born in kenya was it?

Cause i figure that would be a conspiracy wouldn't it...?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The fact that Obama is canceling events this close to election day makes this newsworthy, So, I don't see anything wrong with the media covering the initial announcement. Now, I do hope they don't follow him to Hawaii and invade what should be a private time for him and his family. That would be rather tasteless if they camp outside the hospital or home where his grandmother is at.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm not so sure this is about his 'sick grandma' .. with the impending lawsuits looming over him, I would not be surprised the least if this trip was about his birth records

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

So his grandma is possibly dying and they turn it into "vote for Obama, he has values"....this is sick....and YES it would be if McCain pulled this crap too....

Family is above ANY office and this should all be done in private with NO comments made to the press. If the press WANTS to report anything a simple statement, "Obama visits ailing grandmother, will resume his tour on saturday". Thats it...nothing more...no comments about how this will help/hinder, no comments about how he has values because of this decision, etc....its not the place for it!

Yeah, in a perfect world perhaps. However, if Obama cancelled appointments over several days without informing the press, the press would find out immediately and then start to speculate themselves.

If they're given a simple statement to 'stop speculation' you can guarantee that there'd be threads on here demanding to know the 'full picture' and that this is really a cover to pick-up his degree in hypnosis, or some celebration with his witchcraft coven where they eat white babies, or that the 2 days coincide with some obscure Muslim festival, or is x amount of days since Ayers planted a particular bomb which also happens to a number that, when multiplied by the amount of letters in his first name and then the amount of letters in his last name is subtracted from that number, leaves a numerical reference to a bible passage that 'explains' how Obama is the anti-christ.

When it comes to some of the people on this board, you can be assured that Obama could personally rescue their children from a burning building but they'd be more concerned that he looked at them 'funny' or didn't like the way he touched them when he picked them up.

[edit on 21-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Is this the same grandma saying he wasnt born here? Or the one taking care of his step sis and bro who said he was born in two differnt places there?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Just wait for it. Soon we will see "Obama is killing his grandmother to get sympathy points!" Just wait for it.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

He did not politicize it.
The media is not.
You are.

Leave it alone.

new topics

top topics

join