It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU: "Big Brother is coming!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
ACLU report: U.S. heading toward Big Brother society

While I'm not fervent fan of the ACLU (nor do I dislike the group in typical knee-jerk conservative fashion), this seems an appropriate topic from Winston Smith.

The report, titled "Bigger Monster, Weaker Chains: The Growth of an American Surveillance Society," says Americans' privacy and liberty are at risk.
"A combination of lightning-fast technological innovations and the erosion of privacy protections threatens to transform Big Brother from an oft-cited but remote threat into a very real part of American life," the report says.

My hope is that people will read the material, and an engaging discussion on the merits and perils of a surveillance society. Obviously, there must be a logical balance of observation for public safety, and privacy for personal freedom.

Also an additional story:
www.chron.com...

And the ACLU report:
www.aclu.org...

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Personally I have no trouble with government spying on me, they have to damned sad to do that, I break no laws and live a good life.

The trouble will only come with the laws that erode our rights for freedom and expression of speech and thought anything else is scaremongering

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I hate the ACLU, they should be disbanned. I have a problem with the goverment spying on me. It is an invasion of privacy. I am a good citizen of the USA and I so far have broken no laws.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I hate the ACLU, they should be disbanned. I have a problem with the goverment spying on me. It is an invasion of privacy. I am a good citizen of the USA and I so far have broken no laws.

You "hate" the ACLU... however, you don't want the government spying on you.

I'm confused. This appears to be a case where the American Civil Liberties Union is finally living up to it's intended role, fighting against the government spying on you. But you hate them... odd.

Could you perhaps explain your position?

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassini
The trouble will only come with the laws that erode our rights for freedom and expression of speech and thought anything else is scaremongering

Which freedom of expressions are being eroded now?

And thought? Interesting. How will this be monitored?

I've seen this in my travels:

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Perhaps one more is in order:

COMPLACENCY IS ACTION

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Yes i hate them. I do not agree with what they are for minus the fact that they do no want the goverment spting on you. I do not like the facts that the ACLU wants the following.

1.) They want a all gay club in schools. Gays should merge with other groups and be equal.

2.) They want Christmas vaction off school calendars. I want my kids to be able to rest durning the time Jesus son of God was born. I do'nt want this turning ointo a religious topic again so please aethists be quite.

There are more but the list will go on. I'll post more tomarow.

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Winston, what's your opinion on this? You, whos ID is straight out of the inspiration for big brother society. How about you Winston, Do You Love Big Brother?

XAOS

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Thank you Xaos...

I've been waiting for someone to ask the obvious question.

If love is understanding, then yes. But the concept of "love" can be fraught with turmoil and conflict can it not?

Complacency is action. A new slogan for the Ministry of Truth. I like that, it is suitable for today's society.

My opinion.

I think that despite numerous warnings in literature and the press, people generally don't care that we are moving headlong toward an intense surveillance society. Unfortunately, deep down, I believe it's what many people want. Maintaining freedom and liberty is hard, it takes effort. Look at those cultures who have thrown off the shackles of government oppression, only to be confused by the concept of simple personal freedom. I believe the effort of maintaining [the appearance] of freedom and liberty has possibly fatigued the American culture.

Most Americans are prepared to give a little liberty to make sure little Joey is safe on his way to school. Many are willing to accept the network news verbatim because it comes prepackaged from a friendly face with a nice voice. We know our lives are monitored extensively already, but it seems a small price to pay for our quality of life. One wonders when the price will be too much, and we know then it will be too late.

posted on Jan, 17 2003 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here's another obvious question: How many fingers is the USA holding up?

XAOS

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 08:32 AM
link   
One...The *middle* one...

posted on Jan, 18 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I was perhaps hoping for more intelligent discussion.

Complacency is action indeed.

posted on Jan, 19 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I agree Winston...If you take a look at the 3 threads I made at xmb.abovetopsecret.com...
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...
xmb.abovetopsecret.com...
(All within this very same Topic!), you'd weep at the lack of positive help in my efforts to get the governmental monkeys off of our collective backs. Such complaceny is proof that people *want* to be ruled rather than being capable of ruling themselves...Freedom is too much responsibility for them to handle it seems...

top topics

join