It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI/ Astropulse question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I've been running SETI since 2001, but have only recently been assigned an ASTROPULSE unit to process.

The first thing I noticed, of course, was the sheer size of the thingy. This unit is supposed to take 85 hours (as opposed to the five or six with the ordinary SETI units).

I have been running it for the past two days, and processing seems to go VERY slowly.
(It has nothing to with my PC.)

But the thing I want to know - and I hope this doesn't sound TOO ridiculous - is this: how come the CPU time left is increasing instead of decreasing?
(It was 81 hours three hours ago - now it's 82 + hours...
And yet, the CPU time spent is increasing.)

P.S. Beware of going "esoteric" on me regarding this one!

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
very good observation. can anyone else confirm this?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
How many cores does your processor have? Sometimes the ETC (estimated time of completion) increases on my BOINC client whilst crunching work-units if it has began an extra unit on another core. Or if you have a single core processor the time may increase if you are using resources on other applications.

Check your settings, you should be able to milk more speed.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Oh, that should explain it: I have a single core processor.
(Should I be ashamed...?
)

Thanks so much!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
OT

The main page said there were two replies (before mine, obviously).
I gather there was an anonymous reply.
I hope I get to see it.
If not, I would just like to thank the AP for his/her thoughtfulness. :-)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
Oh, that should explain it: I have a single core processor.

Was it running any other tasks at the time of slowdown, like playing a video or anything? That will increase the ETC.

(Should I be ashamed...?
)

Thanks so much!

Not at all, and you're welcome.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

The only thing that was running was the Spider solitaire; I wasn't really playing it, but it was open. (And I think that is a major CPU hog - isn't it?)

But the reason I came here today is the thing is getting just ridiculous: I have no other applications running - no documents, no games, nothing - and the CPU time spent has in the meantime increased to 20:25 hours - and yet, the "remaining" CPU is... let me check... 82:31:00. (It was 81 hours when I asked my original question yesterday - and the CPU time spent was around 9 hours, I think.)

This is just ridiculous... What's going on?

P.S. I know there are SETI and Astropulse forums around, but I really really don't feel like spending some more time there... At least this forum is fun.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It sounds like it's not a problem with other applications using resources, then. Can you click "advanced view" on your BOINC client, then click the "help" tab, then "about BOINC manager" and post up your version number? You may need a newer client. If you're running windows the newest version available is 6.2. 19.

Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Mine is version 5.2.7.

I'll be downloading a new client, then.

Thank you so much!

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think that may be the problem then. I take it ran alright with the normal SETI@Home Enhanced work units but couldn't handle the newer and much bigger Astropulse units?

Remember that any uncompleted work will be lost when you install the new client!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

OK, I am back!

Installed it - and it's a much "prettier" version, I must say (although I see the new version retained the useless "floating" graphics - what is with that?
Why not make it a static one, like the original was?)

Funnily enough, the work was not lost: it just resumed where the previous version stopped. (Just an upgrade, I suppose.)

But the situation remains the same. At least now I have established the "dynamics" of the lag: exactly every seven seconds of real time the CPU time left increases by one second.

It's almost like a horror movie...

Puzzling.

Anyway, thanks again!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Uninstall the previous version first! I suggest setting the new version to work in the system tray without it displaying the graphics, if you're on a single core. I do that even on my quad core.

If the problem still persists, it's either a problem with your processor or ram, or some kind of advanced SETI problem that you'll have to go to the SETI forums to resolve.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

OK - thanks!
Will do.

(Why can't THEY include such sort of tips in the package?
)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Sorry, I probably should have told you beforehand.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

No, no - it's not your fault at all. How could it be?

Anyway, I uninstalled BOINC (properly - i.e. with the proper procedure) and immediately reinstalled the new version.

I am almost ashamed to say this, but... it is still (or again) running the Astropulse unit - and the lag is still increasing at the rate of 1 second every 7 seconds of real time.

I have come to the conclusion this thing is alive and out to get me...

But hey, no problem - at least it's interesting!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Vanitas that is totally bizarre. I've never encountered this problem before. At the moment I'm running 3 Astropulse units and a single SETI@Home Advanced unit, and all are running pretty much as they should be. I honestly don't know what to suggest. Have you tried going to the SETI homepage to check if the problem you are having is explained in the FAQ?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Yep, bizarre is the right word, isn't it?
(Why else would I come HERE to look for answers?
)

Anyway, I went out to get some air, and when I returned (just a few minutes ago), I checked it again.
And what do you know...
The CPU time left has stopped increasing; it is now decreasing - at the rate of 1 second every 60 seconds (approximately) of real time.

It's good news, I suppose - though still bizarre...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'm glad it's fixed! What a strange problem. Did it say anything about "running benchmarks" previously?

On a semi-related note, I think the SETI@Home website may have just been hacked. It could be a page fault, I guess. But I've never seen it go like that before.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Hacked, eh..?
That's interesting. I had no idea.

And yes, it seems to be improving - albeit VERY slowly - but I'd still like to know what caused it in the first place...

(I am not saying this to pester YOU for answers - how would you know?
I am just saying... I am curious!
)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The latest update, for anyone who might be interested in this issue: I checked the progress a few minutes ago, and the time LEFT is increasing again - this time, at the same rate as the CPU time elapsed (every second of real time).

There is one difference, though: in the meantime, I have opened two documents.
Still, that shouldn't have affected it.

Shall I call a priest to exorcise it?
I think I'll sleep with a wreath of garlic around my neck tonight...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join