It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Authorities shut down global spam ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Authorities shut down global spam ring

www.abc.net.au

Authorities believe they have shut down one of the largest spam operations in the world which was being run out of Australia, New Zealand and the United States
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.rttnews.com
www.reviewboard.com

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Its about time

I, as probably many others, have been plagued with these emails in the past.

Even with a spam blocker, these would still come through periodically, almost in spurts.

I would have guessed, due to some of the grammar and method of speech, that these would have been coming from some Third world nations, not AU & the USA.

I am still unclear as to how they make so much money on these scams though, is it because people actually send money to order the drugs???

In total, authorities received more than 3 million complaints about the spam emails.

There can't be that many stupid people not having sex, or in need of a watch.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Run out of New Zealand? Maybe I can organise a posse, track them down then help beat the crap out of them.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle

Run out of New Zealand? Maybe I can organise a posse, track them down then help beat the crap out of them.

Not a bad idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of having them serve a sentence which requires them to check all incoming emails for SPAM, for say... 3-5 years - Nationwide.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Makes a change they actually went after the real Internet criminals there is nothing worse than spammers and the companys who push spyware.

The only thing about spam I can't understand is who keeps buying the stuff I can't fathom why anyone would encourage them or actually give them money but they must be making enough to keep doing it.

I think the best way to keep it off the net is make it unprofitable but I just don't understand how it is.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Same thoughts here.

I still can't see how so many people are uninformed in regards to the scams that are out there today.

I here of the elderly being taken in by scammers from time to time, but so many people on such a large scale just amazes me.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Australia, fantastic. Now to find out where they live and spam their letterboxes with 'useful' ads about enlargement and rolexes

I can cover the Gold Coast and Brisbane

This news gladdens my heart.

Take care!

- Gold

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I wonder if they will drop their prices on the pills and watches now?

I can see the new Spam letters now... " Due to recent litigation and possible fines and Jail time, we have slashed our prices on all Knock offs and are offering free shipping"

I would LMAO if this caused an Increase in imaginary sales.

top topics

join