It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Members Are The Content Providers Of ATS, Thread Closed ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
A valid topic is closed.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why not let the members, the content providers, why not let us critique the boards a little and not close the thread

Spelling and syntax seems to be a concern if we point out errors on the boards by Admin, but members can trash each other over any discrepancy in language or spelling.

Fair is fair.

Staff are members first in my eyes, regardless of your position.
Yes, you have a job to do, but you serve the constituency, the people that provide the content of the site.

BB&Q is a proper forum to express these views, and threads should be let alone to run their course even if they are critical of owners or Mods.
Take it on the chin and read what the people want of ATS.

I know we traverse this path with all the odds against us as members due to the T&C, but it hurts to leave a topic without a conclusion.

This is a discussion board, so let's talk about spelling and spell checking by Owners, Admin, Staff, and Members.

I guess I should save you the time:

Thread Closed

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Good eye in catching the spelling typo, thanks. Looks like things are cleaned up so I'll go ahead and close this thread.

Closing

Seems logical to me.
Why would you keep a thread open about an issue that's been resolved?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
ATS Realitycheck

Is there some reason why you couldn't just send kinglizard a U2U about this if you wanted the thread left open?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

Seems logical to me.
Why would you keep a thread open about an issue that's been resolved?

You come across as a Mod sock puppet, but either way, do you think the entire situation was resolved ?

I think I could point out other spelling and syntax errors within threads concerning the rules and regs from staff, and even entire pages that are used as reference to the rules and regulations that have mistakes that concern the entire boards.
A proof reader would help.

Old threads that are no longer valid still linger on with false or out of date information, but they still come up when you search board spcific topics.

I would hope that ATS is open enough to allow member to search for the typos so they can be exposed and corrected.
Wouldn't this be in the best interest of the entire site.

And yes Majic, there was a reason I didn't contact kinglizard directly.
A u2u can't ever get the exposure a thread does.

Some board topics should be out in the open, so why not this one ?
There's no need to hide behind a curtain of closed threads, most of us know what goes on anyway just by simple deduction and cross refferencing.

Just another sock puppet,
anx..........

[edit on 12/10/08 by My Sock Puppet]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Don't you find this overly nitpicky and senseless OP?

In fact, now that I think about it, this post is equally as senseless....yet, if you were trying to maximize resources on a server or server farm, would you let needless threads (especially those borne of inherent human fallibility, unless of course, you don't ascribe to that "theory") potentially run on forever?

I sure wouldn't, but ok, whatever

AB1

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

My current bug is misusing the word "loose".. as in.
"Do you think(Insert incompetent politician here) will LOOSE the election.

IT'S "LOSE" DAMMIT!!! ..

Ivan Drago.
"YOU WILL LOSE"

or..

"My pants are LOOSE"
"The lion is LOOSE"

carnt eniwon spel enimor?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm not understanding the problem here.

A spelling error was pointed out and fixed. What exactly is the point of leaving the thread open? For everyone to run on some scavenger hunt to find typos the staff has made since the board was founded? Is that the kind of "content" you're talking about the members providing in the title of this thread?

I would think that members, particularly long term members, who have found a mistake would sooner use a more private method such as a u2u to point it out instead of trying to draw attention to it.

The people who make the official content here, such as banners and yes, even the text of the T&C's etc are humans. If something slipped by and is spelled wrong and phrased poorly would it be such a bad thing to drop one of us a u2u and say "hey you guys should fix this" instead of making it into a whole production?

And then you use this as an opportunity to discuss how staff are members first? We know that. That's why we volunteer countless hours of our time here.

As an aside, I find your reply to shugo to be utterly repulsive and quite disappointing. Just because someone does not agree with your complaint about the Staff or a decision made by the Staff means they are a "mod sock puppet"?? That attack was baseless, and completely unnecessary.

But, since we're all being so up front and honest here, I think your statement pretty summed up what's going on here.

And yes Majic, there was a reason I didn't contact kinglizard directly.
A u2u can't ever get the exposure a thread does.

There's no need to hide behind a curtain of closed threads, most of us know what goes on anyway just by simple deduction and cross refferencing.

Yeah... that sounds like you're very interested in helping us correct our spelling errors.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

My current bug is misusing the word "loose".. as in.
"Do you think(Insert incompetent politician here) will LOOSE the election.

IT'S "LOSE" DAMMIT!!! ..

Ivan Drago.
"YOU WILL LOSE"

or..

"My pants are LOOSE"
"The lion is LOOSE"

carnt eniwon spel enimor?

Unfortunately there is no check for 'dumb'. Loose annoys me to no end. Then we have confusing too for to, or vice-versa.... I mean, come on, I learned that one in third grade!

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
In fairness to those who posted rather than u2u'ing about the typos – I for one thought that it might be the beginning of another ATS-sponsored game, especially when the first one was corrected only to be replaced by a new one.

Which may explain some of the enthusiasm for "easter egg"-hunting.

And it is true that there are quite a number of typos in the public areas of ATS. Maybe the administration shouldn't be too touchy about the subject. After all, we're all still here and posting because whether or not the people writing the copy sometimes have extra-wide fingers, ATS is a great place. I don't think pointing out spelling errors is akin to, say, accusing the Amigos of being CIA puppets.

Hey, if we're willing to do some free copyediting, why not encourage it?

new topics

top topics

join