posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:24 AM
My views are that an IQ test is a way of scoring peoples memory in a manner that assesses your ability to remember textbook education and
I think you are correct. I’ve aced over 90% of the test I’ve taken in my life time; the other 10% was mainly Math or Chemistry test. I did my best
with Biology, History, and English test. Even when it comes to topics I don’t understand as much or am not as well versed in I can usually ace them
easily because I intake information easily and when I need to remember it I’ve always been able to retrieve the memories easily.
My brain seems to just work that way and this is an advantage for me when it comes to the topics I listed. However I have trouble sometimes
comprehending minor mechanical instructions or instructions of that nature unless I look them over a few times, and I have trouble mirroring the
instructions with my actions.
I can read books fairly quickly and write an “A” essay on them, but if I got lost in the wilderness I’d probably die because my mind doesn’t
seem to be as resourceful as others and doesn’t come up with quick solutions to non-academic issues or problems.
I really think it is time that we acknowledge intelligence on an individual basis rather than collectively labelllng people in comparison with
the thoughts of other scientific achievers.
I think we should change how we look at intelligence in the first place. Everyone intakes information and uses that information differently. Are you
smarter than someone who didn’t pass the fourth grade and dropped out of school? It is likely many would assume, yes, that they are smarter than
that person. This isn’t necessarily true though.
Having a good education makes a lot of out of reach things in this world tangible for people, I’m not knocking education, I’m just saying I think
people put too much of an emphasis on education and intelligence, as if one does not exist with out the other. There are plenty of knowledgeable,
smart, and wise people who do not fit within the current mold. And the mold is always changing, through history we have redefined the knowledge and
skills one must have to be considered intelligent, and I don’t doubt we will continue to redefine such things, making technology a key element.
However I know amateur survivalist who are learning how to depend on their own abilities free of modern luxuries or technology and I’m sure if the
you-know-what hits the fan and technology bites the dust or turns against us my computer science major friends are going to be running to the
survivalist and will find their survivalist friend’s knowledge worth far more than a degree in computer science.