It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B.C. man comes out swinging in bear attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Another person attacked in BC by a bear. The man fought back, killing the bear with a big stick. The cubs had to be euthanized.

CBC News video here

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Euthanased?! That's so wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I guess this man took his right to bear arms a little too literally.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I was shocked that the man was able to kill the bear with a swing of that stick he showed. I have never heard of anything like that before.

It is sad about the cubs being euthanized.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
We are capable of some incredible feats in extreme situations but I suppose that statistically with all of the bear encounters through history at least one person had to be the better.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Yeah considering that man was alone and had no one to help him out. Not like the man in the marina in Vancouver area. A bear had been watching him from across the water. Set it's sights on the man and then swam across the marina, boarded the boat and then attacked the man. It took (I believe) 5 men to try to pull the bear off of the man. Eventually one of the men killed the bear. The bear would not give up. It wanted to eat him. So this lone man at Green Lake BC was very, very lucky with that one strike of the stick.

I had an experience with a small grizzly one time. Only about 800 - 900 lbs. But that experience had me shaking for a week. I was glad that none of us (bear included) had to be killed. It was an extremely dicey situation. I never want to be in again.

I never had problems with black bears. Although now could be a different story. At the time of the grizzly encounter, I was 5 years into personally studying and photographing black bears. I had been at arm's length of black bear sows with cubs and never was hurt. But there is an explanation for that. My study was carried out on a ranch that expands a few thousand acres. They were used to me and my scent.

Something is going on and I think it has to do with the environment. It is forcing the animals down into populated areas of BC. Bears and wolves are killing livestock more than usual. Black bears are hanging out in groups and are entering people's yards. People are getting attacked and bears are getting killed. My dad says he is having a hell of a time fighting back the weeds such as Hockweed and Rattleweed. It has never been this bad. He is convinced nature is trying to reclaim itself. A couple of summer's ago he was on the tractor working in a field when a black bear ran out from the woods and then attempted to jump on to the moving tractor to attack him. I have lived in the Bulkley Valley BC since the mid 70's. Things like that just never happened before. (I haven't been around BC for a while. I've been in Saskatchewan going on 8 years now.) It is as if the bears are displaying signs of stress.

top topics

join