It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Come We Is Stoopid An Disfunkshunal?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
About the Bible, my youngest daughter has her degree in English, now when she was about two, I started teaching her from work books, surprisingly, she new all the answers .

She had knowledge beyond her years and read fifth grade level in kindergarten,

The Bible, a friend told me to read to her, then have her read to me from the Bible, no Dick and Jane,

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
it's proportional.

first you have to determine what intelligence is. iq tests and sat exams are not enough.

second, you have to determine if the tests are not prejudice in some way, regarding what is or is not intelligent and how to gauge it based on test results.

thirdly, you have to take into consideration various societal factors, such as the widespread dissemenation of information via the school system, the media, society at large, and the library system.

fourthly, after determining the answers to the third question, you have to determine how many people were tested before the creation of public schools, tests and forced education.

then you can factor in things like diet, environment and so on.

it wasn't all that long ago in the scope of human history, that no one had to go to school, only if their parents insisted and only if the schooling was available. this created a huge disparity in the world of employment, between those who had book knowledge and those who didn't. it also didn't take into account, those who were self taught and those who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, who were automatically considered smart because mom and dad or great grandpa, was a whiz at making money.

there's too much speculative data involved without the answers to the questions raised by the past, and its effect on "intelligence."

[edit on 12-10-2008 by undo]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Don't know if you read my above post prior to that last one...

Oh I am skimming through the post really fast, I was in a speed reading class and never quite got over that, lol

I have a short attention span, but insatiable thirst for knowledge and information, I am an information junkie, it makes me get way ahead of myself, then I get bored, lol

I need to take the time to read through all the post,

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
About the Bible, my youngest daughter has her degree in English, now when she was about two, I started teaching her from work books, surprisingly, she new all the answers .

She had knowledge beyond her years and read fifth grade level in kindergarten,

The Bible, a friend told me to read to her, then have her read to me from the Bible, no Dick and Jane,

Agreed, I was reading the bible a lot in fourth and fifth grade, mostly poetry and non fiction through high school.

My girlfriend grew up on the bible and Tolkien. She's read LOTR every year since 5th grade, yikes.
She knew a lot of anglo saxon and elvish a couple years ago, before she really got into college and lost all her time to study neat things like that...She really is a smart bird.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
(addendum to my above post: i don't believe video games dumb people down. i think they are just a new social environment in which to challenge your skills and hone your hand-eye coordination. i play alot of video games but i'm always looking for the symbols embedded in the imagery, the underlying message the game is trying to instill or reveals about its creators, the current state of social order or the hoped for state of the future.)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Good point here, some video games have a deep deep story and the imagery and symbolism used can be incredible.

Zelda has some really great references in it with mythology.
Epona, Hyla, ect.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I think reading is very important, with the age of video games how much reading goes on, significant reading, not to mention TV.

My daughter doesn't play video games, and is not into the computer ,she would rather read.

Here's one crafts,

I am an artist, I make jewelry, since I was very young, this art was passed down to me, my grandmother embroidered wedding gowns, instead of TV and computers, back in the day, people sat around an sewed, or what ever craft you want to insert here, cabinet making, blacksmiths, metal workers, sculptors, yada yada

Oh my goodness we have lost so much.

Isolation, we need one another, remember the quilting bee, the knowledge of the tribe, the tribal elders passing down their trade? The knowledge of herbs and natural medicine.

We have isolated ourselves from one another,

[edit on 023131p://bSunday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
(addendum to my above post: i don't believe video games dumb people down. i think they are just a new social environment in which to challenge your skills and hone your hand-eye coordination. i play alot of video games but i'm always looking for the symbols embedded in the imagery, the underlying message the game is trying to instill or reveals about its creators, the current state of social order or the hoped for state of the future.)

Of course you are correct that is where balance comes into play.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's funny how in an age of connection we really have isolated ourselves from eachother.

Also, anything done with your hands which requires concentration is great; be it mechanics, tailors, musicians, crafting, anything which involves concentration is amazing when it comes to brain power. By concentration I mean REAL concentration, I can't describe it but if you've ever done it you know what I mean.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
It's funny how in an age of connection we really have isolated ourselves from eachother.

Also, anything done with your hands which requires concentration is great; be it mechanics, tailors, musicians, crafting, anything which involves concentration is amazing when it comes to brain power. By concentration I mean REAL concentration, I can't describe it but if you've ever done it you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean, the same concentration one enters into when they play music, it is almost like a meditative state.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Ha exactly!

For a long time I thought I was concentrating on music I played and then I learned how to really concentrate and understand what I was playing rather than just doing it from muscle memory, wow such a difference.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot

Ha exactly!

For a long time I thought I was concentrating on music I played and then I learned how to really concentrate and understand what I was playing rather than just doing it from muscle memory, wow such a difference.

and there friend is why music is key, I did some research on this, When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I think that the only way you can teach yourself and work your way up to Einstein smarts is through self learning.

Observations that you make for yourself in the world around you, and you have to have some creativity as well. Einstein came up with his theory of relativity when he was sitting in the park he imagined himself riding along a ray of light through the universe.

Thats the true way to learn imagine the possibilities for yourself.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

All existence is rythym and harmony, essentally. Sound and light.

Wavelength.

Everything harmonizes. Our harmonic points are called chakras.

I've heard that Greagorian chants were noted the way they were for their specific healing, relaxing, and though enducing properties.
I listened to a lot of gregorian for a while and I noticed something strange, they sound a lot, I mean A WHOLE LOT, like native american songs; albeit slower and more european. I've grown up around native music, it was sung in my school and around my town. I live in Oklahoma.

Do some quick looking and youll see what I mean.

Also, really you should give this a quick look if you haven't already.
en.wikipedia.org...

Melody Gardot is pretty strong evidence to support the whole music bit.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by caballero

I think that the only way you can teach yourself and work your way up to Einstein smarts is through self learning.

Observations that you make for yourself in the world around you, and you have to have some creativity as well. Einstein came up with his theory of relativity when he was sitting in the park he imagined himself riding along a ray of light through the universe.

Thats the true way to learn imagine the possibilities for yourself.

I thought he was on a boat in the water and he saw the water going past him?

I could always be wrong.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

even when the story isn't deep, the circumstances of the game can have a deeper message that perhaps, even the people who designed it don't recognize. i firmly believe we are being massively programmed to have a specific type of viewpoint and this is apparent, even in video games. the problems come in when we realize that people are individuals, and no two are exactly alike. forcing them to be carbon copies of each other is NOT a good idea.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
HI head

a descending scream, building into a deep rasping roar, and ending in a deafening hiss. As if this were not impressive enough, the entire acoustic show is itself the prelude to a wonderful transformation: the highest pitch sounds ultimately spawn the first generation of stars, while the deep bass notes slowly dissolve to become the tapestry of galaxies which now fills all of space.

blog.wired.com...

Cosmic melodies

you know I used to have the sounds but now I can't find them.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Unstructured play is another overlooked aspect of developing intelligence. In today's busy world many people feel pressured to be always "doing" or producing something instead of just "being".

All intelligent people have a need to play (at something). I'm not talking about mindless diversions but a creative outlet in which nothing but the users enjoyment is required.

An outlet in which there are no levels or points to obtain, no satisfactory conclusions to a story being told that did not come from your own imagination, no prizes to be won, no bragging rights, nothing but time for ones self.

MopusVindictus, I have a question (2 actually) for you. 1) Do you believe the dumbing down of the masses to be intentional or an accidental result of negligent planning? 2) If the former, what could possibly be the benefit (long term) of deliberately fouling the genetic diversity required to sustain any futuristic utopia one would assume "they" are planning by such a move?

It has been my unfortunate experience my entire life to be ridiculed and aggressively scolded for trying to better myself. Examples include such statements as, "You ask too many questions" (spoken by a teacher); "You think you're better than everyone else using all those fancy words" (spoken by an English teacher); "Why don't you just shut up and do what you're told!" (spoken by a teacher giving us instructions on taking our IQ tests when I had pointed out that the written instructions had 3 words spelled incorrectly).

Being labelled as "odd" is another painful reminder of a public education system that has forgotten that all innovators have been considered "odd".
When I was 4 we had a 500-piece puzzle in our house which I found and put together. I loved that puzzle. I put it together so many times that year that I got a little bored with it and turned all the pieces over and put it together without benefit of a picture-just the cardboard shapes. Apparently, that was "odd". The puzzle was taken away.

By not conforming to the social norm, one becomes a social outcast. It becomes imperative for survival to feign stupidity. After years of pretending to be stupid, one becomes a little stupid. In nursing school we were told to avoid using the big medical words to explain a patients' condition to their loved ones and, instead, to talk to them at about a 6th grade level. After years of speaking to people at about a 6th grade level, I'm finding it difficult to converse at a college level outside of work.

Multitasking is another IQ buster and also relates to the original thought that one needs time to do "nothing required". As a single mother and a nurse, I often spend the entire week just hurrying to get things done. Work is a very busy place with barely enough time in a 12 hour day to empty my bladder. I am a multitasker extraordinaire. When I come home, I am again assailed with too many things to do. All this doing leaves little time for just thinking, observing, considering, philosophizing, contemplating, meditating, being.

Only drones continually do without stopping to think that there might be something more to life.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Possibly either way its safe to say that you need imagination to be a genius and thats one things schools rob from children. Their passion to learn new things and their creativity to be able to think outside of the box.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by caballero]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

I agree 100%

Here’s a website I use to sleep some nights.
www.spacesounds.com...

Enjoy.

reply to post by whitewave

I understand that, our fast pace of life could be another big factor. I hadn’t even thought of that; great points here.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join