It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Act Your Wages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The other day I was reading Sports Illustrated when I came across an article about a guy who had been signed on for 28 million and he was asked what he had done with the money. What he said was profound to me. He said that he went out and bought a 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis.

I thought, ‘What?! This guy could afford to drive anything, and he bought a car that my parents used to drive nearly 20 years ago!’

The more I thought about it, the more stupid I felt…

I am guilty. Guilty of not acting my wages. When I thought I was just trying to buy a nice reliable vehicle for my family that they would be proud of, but now I realize that I got caught up in the game of trying to be like the Jones’. I really didn’t think I was, but now I see it clearly. I DID IT FOR THE KIDS, but what lesson have I taught them now? People buy themselves a nice fat Cadillac Escalade with some fancy custom wheels and tires, and NOW you know they are successful… rich… happy. RIGHT? Isn’t that the message they’re sending? What a stupid worthless investment that’ll loose thousands over the next couple years!

Now looking at the economic mess on our hands, I see the trend is everywhere. Bigger, better, newer, nicer, fancier, and look who REALLY has to pay for it.

So what is the moral of the story? Stop with the ego trip already, and be responsible and intelligent. Who cares what other people think? Be like this football star who makes wise investments and piches every penny...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The Jones's are the stupidest most materialistic people on the planet.
100% Agreed.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

I really agree with this sentiment. I'm one of those people who live very simply and cheaply, and happily, too! I'm "poor" but it does not make me any less happy.

Especially since I had a child, I've lost the taste for anything of material value. As long as I have warm clothes to wear, a belly full of food, a roof over my head, a bed to sleep on, and my child provided for then I am happy!

I don't have any shame in not keeping up with the joneses because truly, there is no benefit to that lifestyle, in fact it's much less happy because there's this stress of trying to outdo the next guy. I worry more about me and mine than I do about what strangers think of me.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Alot of people keep up with the Jones's because when you come from nothing you think you have something to prove. I agree to keep it simple but when you first get out on your own you over do.

You have lived so long in your parents rule you go overboard. Most of lifes mistakes take place in your early twenties. Then you spend a large part of you life fixing those mistakes.

People really need to take stock of what they really need. Before I go buy something I ask myself do I NEED this or do I WANT this. 90 percent of the time I do not need it. Not to say I have not bought something for myself. I just am leary of spending too much.

People for some reason have to prove themselves by buying bigger and better than anyone else. Most of those people do not have many friends or family and have to fill the empty spaces with stuff. To some it is the social standing that makes them who they are.

I wish I had learned these lessons early. But such is life, we have to go through this stuff to learn. LOL

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silverflame

Good post. I agree with what you said about some people having something to prove especially.

It's not shameful to live simply. However, it's not shameful to live as luxuriously as you please either, so long as it's within your means. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love nice things. I love beautiful clothes and muscle cars. I love gorgeous, impractical shoes and high quality food and wine. But I don't take vacays on a credit card or stuff my closet with clothes that come with interest.

The only thing that's shameful is living a phony life on credit.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What are you willing to sacrifice besides your labor and the family's financial security' to live like all of the others that can't afford it ?..... I am an older person that grew up being aware that my family was well ahead of others financially, though we didn't spend beyond our means. I noticed that other people, whose father's were self employed, lived much the same as my family, and as their revenues grew their personal spending increased, but at a slower rate than that of an employ that had just gotten a raise..... I have to admit that I have been guilty of not using my best judgment in using credit and managing investments, there is a lot of pressure on one to do otherwise.....This pressure coming at us from all angles and the profits made by those that were directing and reassuring the borrowers that all is well, is going to leave a lot of people homeless..... I am fortunate that I worked in a small family business and was able to learn of the positives and most importantly the negatives of buying on credit. Look at our federal debt,...the product of a policy of spending on credit and then taxing the citizens to pay multiple times for the spending whims, of people that are making money that won't be taxed.... They will not be accountable, we are. There is nothing wrong with saying, I don't need, or can't afford something.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I left a very good job and the ability to have better things so I can be close to my sickly parents. I work a job I really don't like but, family is way more important than extra cash. Money and material can be taken but, family moments cannot.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

My hats off to you, friend. You have found the meaning of life...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

Too true. I'm not a materialistic person, although i admit to enjoying the materialistic items i have purchased. I do not however, take them forgranted, and do not alow myself to become attached to them.

I recently parted with a newish car (VW)- great it was - but wasn't great too.
I had nothing but problems with it. Too many sensors now a days, sure they do that so you have to take it to a garage/dealer to be repaired

I purchased a 1992 BMW with 147k on the clock (UK), its Mint and runs like a dream - feels like a real car. Best 600 GBP i have ever spent.

[edit on 5-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

Nice post... good point..

This one time a 'friend' invited me to apply at the job he works at and it turned out to be a citi-bank scam, glad citi bank has lost billions, anyway the 'job interview' was really an attempt to sign me up to a bank loan, but I was so dense that I didn't know this at the time, I thought they were questions for the job interview... they asked me..

what is your ideal car if you could have any car? I said a car that can get me from point A to point B.

they said what is your ideal house? I said one where I fit.

I basically didn't know it but I foiled their entire set-up, they wanted me to say a Hummer or a BMW or Mustang? hah... I don't care about that type of stuff, guess they tried to scam the wrong guy, the job involved going house to house and asking people if they want a bank loan, pretty lame job, I couldn't even read the job application without giving them my social security number so I just left that place without signing or filling out anything and since that day my 'friend' no longer was my friend...

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I purchased a 1992 BMW with 147k on the clock (UK), its Mint and runs like a dream - feels like a real car. Best 600 GBP i have ever spent.

I don’t see anything wrong with buying nice stuff, it’s when we buy stuff that we really can’t afford and we actually go into debt to purchase them. You paid cash for what sounds like a great deal.

top topics

join