It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Are Not Headed for a Great Depression

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by tide88

Well .. Fox news said we are all find.. guess it's ok then!

Since they give us credible news on everything else...

Fox -- political debate commentary ..
MSNBC -- political debate commentary --
CNN -- political debate commentary --
CNBC -- Demanding who the hell we can trust because everyone in the Government, banks, fed, FAILED.

Damnit people, pull your heads from your rear ends and WAKE THE HELL UP..

Fine. Here is another article that talks about the same thing from The Wall Street Journal.We're not heading for a Depression You people and your anti fox news rhetoric crack me up. I agree they are politically tilted to the right, but to think they are just making stories up.. What is wrong with a little positive spin.. That is exactly what we need right now. We need to bring confidence back into world.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry...seriously....you really didnt cite FOX news as a basis for your opinion did you??

FOX news is far from "fair and balanced". Before anyone brings up MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, or anyone else... no they are not either. However FOX news is VERY clearly the front runner in propaganda. It is common knowledge and admitted by the former spokesman of the White House. Are you seriously going to tell me things are fine and dandy and then cite FOX as the source?? PLEASE tell me this is just joke, if it isn't I beg you to please go out and get a clue.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Sorry I missed the Wall Street Journal post... this wouldn't happen to be the same WSJ that has been attending the Bilderberg meetings would it?

ETA: Since those of us who cite FOX news as a joke crack you up so much, allow me to enlighten you to the Scott McCllean's own words...and please ask me for another source. I'm sure I can find one with the 288,000 other hits I got looking for it

Scott and FOX news

[edit on 10-10-2008 by MrWendal]

Ex

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The Bush administration is considering a partial nationalization of some banks, buying up a portion of their shares to shore them up and restore confidence as part of the $700 billion government bailout.
The notion of government ownership in the financial sector, even as a minority stakeholder, goes against what market purists say
they see as the foundation of the American system.

MSNBC

Yep, The depression is here.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I just wanted to add a little perspective on this one. I think that we, as a country (possibly on a global level - but not so much), have been taking everything for granted for awhile now. New opportunities to buy and sell, new 'toys' have been introduced, some new ways of relaxing and enjoying (72" HDTVs...etc), more food and leisure opportunities have been utilized... The list is pretty full. And by having all these things we have created excess - and no longer care how or where we get our 'fixes' from. Maybe this crash... this (potential) upcoming depression... is simply the giant rubberband that we were stretching in the last decade snapping back to hit us in the face?

I work as a National Recruiter. My firm covers employment from very low level positions to executives and (yes - really!) rocket scientists. Lately the office has been buzzing with clients who want to place only the minimum. They don't want to add more than they can handle - financially. No-one wants to have to pay any more then they have to. And many of the companies are very sorry to tell us that they are laying off hundreds of people to keep the business a float. And the candidates looking for jobs (some that WERE laid off) - many have very scary stories of losing it all due to the crunch. It's very different than it was about 6 months ago, or the beginning of '08. People are worried that they may not be able to heat their homes, buy food, pay the rent, get gas... etc.
Myself, I recruit for Biotech / Pharmaceutical (Ironically - I am personally not big on chemicals/pharm or the medical world - more on that later if you'd like). Most of my clients (pharma development companies) are only placing people for projects - and not sure if or how long they will last. So even that industry is running it tight right now.

So that's just what I am getting in my neighborhood.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here is going to be a big surprise to most when I post this but here it goes. The economy is not as bad as people think. Its bad but it could be and might get a lot worse. We do have a lot of things going for us but this can be wiped away as I point out below.

BUT here is the catch. Our nation and this world runs on credit and if you see the banks continue hoarding all the money and not lending you will see things get bad REAL FAST!!!!! Because we dont produce anything and we are a debtor nation this puts us in a real bind. This is what happens when you let banks control our country. I hope this is a wake up call to all. NO MORE DEBT! Pay for things cast and if you cant afford it dont pay for it. That is the only way we can stick it to the banks. No debt=no bank control.

The bailout should NOT have happened. It was blackmail. The banks said you take our bad debt off our books or we dont lend killing your economy. Banks have no home, no country they dont care about anyone. All this taxpayer money going into this international crime family aka the international banking system is no different than "security money" you had to pay your local mob bosses in the early 20th century. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!! Our country and world has been hi jacked.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by mybigunit]

[edit on 10-10-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If you are expecting a great depression, I hope you get your own personal version.

If you are expecting martial law, I hope the cops come and raid your house.

If you are expecting an apocalypse, I hope it happens to you.

You people with your doom-and-gloom, victimized, nothing-is my-fault attitude are completely disgusting.

I sincerely hope you get what's coming to you in your skewed little version of reality.

At least you can then say, "I told you so!"

.... PATHETIC!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon
We are headed into new territory here, and comparing the current situation to the Great Depression is short sighted and the complete opposite of correct.

I agree with everything you said but this part, I understand what caused the great depression. But as far as living conditions we are gonna go there.
Maybe not all the way there, maybe all the way there. No one knows until we get there. We may have different causes but a great depression is a great depression no matter how you get there. Without credit all these banks and companies will fail. Food shortages you say? Clothing shortages? Wasnt that in the great depression as well?

I think youre looking at this all wrong and basing that statement off the cause. The cause does not matter, its the result.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tide88

You're correct, we're headed for a COLLAPSE.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Who gives a rat’s bum whether or not you call it ‘depression’ or ‘recession’ or ‘skippyhappyfuntime’ or whatever you want to call it, the reality is that the whole standard of living to which we have become accustomed is nearing the end.

Arguing over what to call this mess is like arguing over exactly what a steaming pile of excrement smells like . . .

Bottom line is that the history books are going to write chapters on this fiscal fiasco and our kiddies kiddies will learn all about our greed-fed, credit-based bankrupt way of life.

And they’ll call it what it is . . . sheer stupidity.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

How does that sand taste?

Let me know when you pull your head out of it.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

You mean when investments and credit dried up and Ford
stopped making vehicles before WWII.

Yeah that can't happen.

I think Dubai is in charge now so we better bomb IRAN and feel
good about ourselves.

At least we won't get any UFO and Free Energy Tesla scientists from
the investments in Germany like we did after WWII that seemed to
bother people.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
They say when your neighbor loses his job and home it's a recession,but when you lose job and home it's a depression,like it or not the economy is spiraling downward

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
If you are expecting a great depression, I hope you get your own personal version.

If you are expecting martial law, I hope the cops come and raid your house.

If you are expecting an apocalypse, I hope it happens to you.

You people with your doom-and-gloom, victimized, nothing-is my-fault attitude are completely disgusting.

I sincerely hope you get what's coming to you in your skewed little version of reality.

At least you can then say, "I told you so!"

.... PATHETIC!

Excuse me?

Who is pathetic then?

The members of ATS who have been telling others this has been on the cards for years?

The "pathetic" ones who mainly care about the truth and are able to know the economy and "reality" better than $multi million exuctives who are payed to know by our labour?

Are we pathetic if we feel that this is corrupt, as it has been shown to?

Are YOUR fellow ats members pathetic?

Or are we pathetic because many here have worked hard and payed their taxes, and paid into their pensions and 401,s and are seeing that drop by an average of 25% SO FAR?

We are pathetic because we were right, and have been warning the mass marketed, hypnotised brain washed population for years about the dangers?

OPh by the way "it is not our fault" we pay taxes, buy into pensions, our money has been stolen, and now they want us all to work for a few years more and sell our granchildrens labour?

You wish US HERE the majority of who have been warning about this, to suffer, to each have our own personal "perspective" and experience of shortages, lack of education, homes, food, healthcare in this time?

Well two things unlocical magician, as there is no Corpi in your argument, if you even know what that means,

1. welcome to my ignore list, how dare you call hard working, honest kind caring people that and wish them harm!

2. the old rules have changed, it will in a very short space of time not be how much you "have" but "co-operate" and "share" and "love" and "respect" that make the winners of the new world.

With the above point I feel pretty confident in saying that your own personal "perspective" of this depression will be a lot worse than most members of ATS given their natures!

Bye and Good Luck!

Kind Regards to all other Ats Users

Elf.

Mods- shouldnt his post have been removed? and as it has not maybe dont and just leave mine above to say it all?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Somehow I think no matter what source I post you will say it is propaganda. You will believe whatever you want and nothing I say nor any link I post is going to change that. Is the economy going to collapse. Maybe. I am not saying it is impossible. I was just posting an article that had some positive news to it. Unfortunatly I forgot where I was posting it. This board is filled with pessimisim. There are very few optimists. Everyone that says this is the end of the world is insane. We will as a nation and as a global economy bounce back. This isnt the end of anything. Who wants in on this bet. I bet that the rescue plan is going to work. It bet within four months we will see the economy start to bounce back. I bet that in the end this was the best thing that could ever happen to our economy. I bet that when we bounce back the economy will be stronger then ever. If my predictions are wrong, I will admit I was an idiot and will not post anymore. Anyone else want in. All you doom and gloomers want in. If I am right, you guys will all admit you are idiots and stop posting. Forever. Chime in if you are in on the bet.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
well i don't know where you live but less check some of the signs. every town i know of has soup kitchens that run at 110 percent capacity.
chicago is expecting 43,000 foreclosures this year . everyone i know is paying roughly 30 percent of there paychecks on gas . los vegas and other large cities are putting up vast tent cities for large number of homeless. yes this isn't like first depression this one was caused by blatant corporate greed and loan shark lending practices.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
Anyone else want in. All you doom and gloomers want in. If I am right, you guys will all admit you are idiots and stop posting. Forever. Chime in if you are in on the bet.

Heh no offense but if your WRONG then most people will not be able to afford internet anymore so they wont be able to give you an I told you so. I hope your right but we really have to get off this international banking cartel control that our world currently has.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tide88
reply to post by MrWendal

Somehow I think no matter what source I post you will say it is propaganda. You will believe whatever you want and nothing I say nor any link I post is going to change that. Is the economy going to collapse. Maybe. I am not saying it is impossible. I was just posting an article that had some positive news to it. Unfortunatly I forgot where I was posting it. This board is filled with pessimisim. There are very few optimists. Everyone that says this is the end of the world is insane. We will as a nation and as a global economy bounce back. This isnt the end of anything. Who wants in on this bet. I bet that the rescue plan is going to work. It bet within four months we will see the economy start to bounce back. I bet that in the end this was the best thing that could ever happen to our economy. I bet that when we bounce back the economy will be stronger then ever. If my predictions are wrong, I will admit I was an idiot and will not post anymore. Anyone else want in. All you doom and gloomers want in. If I am right, you guys will all admit you are idiots and stop posting. Forever. Chime in if you are in on the bet.

Hey about double or quits with me?

Firstly though will you show me where else in modern times (last 150 years) a Major Country started a War, and lowered taxes?

I would be careful about the bets you make, they seem to be based unlike most of the Facts that have presenented "here" by the "doomsayers" for a long time, we are not doomsayers we are realists, who want the illusion of the lies, spin, slavery and family run world to stop, those bets you are making seem very like the bets that created this mess in the first place!

Infact if you ask me , if people want things to bounce back as they were, they are the doomsayers, as has been proven in recent days,

Fiat Money

Fractional reserve banking

Countries not printing their own money

is slavery.

I think we are really pretty optimistic for the people, at least we see the current inherent problems with the system that is now sending our young countrymen to die to protect the black gold, and don't want people to get paid $millions of £ for bankrupting , homes, businesses and in some cases countries?

Us doomsayers? lol no thank you we believe in a bright future, with each human rewarded fairly and not bound in slavery to the military industrial complex, any wanting to start off another false bubble IMHO is very negative and "doomsayerish" to me, as it only holds slavery, empty promises, centralisation of all the Earths wealth in the hand of a few families,

You guys want that back and to strengthen?

I don't want that dark, forboding slavery future thank you.

Please will all those who are keen for the old order to be restored quickly stop posting your incitements to slavery, unequality and mass murder of civilians, its very negative!

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 10-10-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well said, MischeviousElf,

We aren't trying to rush something that may or may not happen, this collapse is inevitable thanks to the Fed and others behind the scenes and we see it as an opening to change this corrupt system once and for all. It won't be easy but we will come through it better people who can then set up a better system.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

Agreed. We just had a news company here today at my business doing a story on how our business is actually growing while in the midst of all this economic downfall. While I dont doubt the coast will feel the brunt of this recession, things are and will remain pretty normal in the heartland. No mass layoffs or any real issues to speak of here in Omaha. (8 hours from you, 7-7.5 if Im driving
) However, a few of us have lost a lot in the stock market. I just found out last night that my grandmother in law lost 39,000 the other day, and that has to sting. Oddly enough, she didnt seemed too worried about it. She isnt rich just not a money monger and she knew the risk involved with stocks, especially now.

*word to everyone for stocks: follow your logic and gut. She wanted to pull out and her broker, some "expert"-said it would be fine and to let it ride... 39,000 mistake listening to him.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join