It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. drone fires missile into Pakistan's Waziristan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

U.S. drone fires missile into Pakistan's Waziristan

news.yahoo.com

A suspected U.S. drone fired a missile on Thursday into Pakistan's North Waziristan, a tribal region on the Afghan border regarded as a safe haven for al Qaeda and Taliban militants, a Reuters witness said.

Since the start of September the United States has carried out at least nine missile attacks, including this one, and a commando raid on militant targets in Pakistan's tribal areas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pakistan threatens to retaliate against US

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
More US activity in Pakistan. The situation seems to be getting more and more intense out there and things are starting to boil. This particular missile strike was from a drone, but there has been ground activity of US soldiers crossing into Pakistan as well.

I'm not so sure how the Pakistani government will react to the increased presence of the US. I also wonder what India thinks of all this.

It looks like our war on terror is being fought on several fronts, Iraq and Afghanistan being the most obvious, but it looks like there is legitimate reason to believe that things might escalate in Iran and Pakistan as well. Throw in a healthy dose of a wounded economy and you got yourself a nice little #storm.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Let's just hope they didn't blow up a bunch of women and children this time. I think we'd see another country adding us to their naughty list.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Atleast we know Pakistan doesn't keep its words of retaliation.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
President Bush knows that if he is going to get Bin Laden, it must be soon,
before he's out of office. No doubt it's getting personal for him now. Just
like getting Sadam Hussein (for his dad) became personal. Not saying
that it's right or wrong. It's just how things appear.

I hope the missles don't collapse a cave on Bin Laden, or blow him to
a thousand pieces. We'll need to confirm his death. Preferably his
end, or capture, will come in hand to hand combat.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Finding bin Laden? Great!

Weakening Al-Qaeda? Aweome!

Pissing off another country? A country w/ nuclear capabilities (however limited)? Not so great.

What is the use of harming a "terrorist" group if, in the process, you inadvertently give birth to another generation of people that will hate the US? According to a variety of reports, there have been quite a number of civilian casualties in our attacks in Pakistan.

We need to start realizing the role that "collateral damage" plays in fueling the problem with "terrorism".

[edit on 9-10-2008 by kawz1]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xbranscombex

Atleast we know Pakistan doesn't keep its words of retaliation.

I think this might be the reason they fired...to see the reaction of Pakistan after they clearly stated that this type of behavior will not be tolerated...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by REXIMUS

What would be the purpose of testing the Pakistani government? Do you think this foreshadows an attempt to displace them? Is the US trying to get India further entrenched on our war-wagon?

I really don't know why we would actively test the Pakistani gov't.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by kawz1]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

posted on 10/9/2008 at 14:08 Finding bin Laden? Great! Weakening Al-Qaeda? Aweome! Pissing off another country? A country w/ nuclear capabilities (however limited)? Not so great. What is the use of harming a "terrorist" group if, in the process, you inadvertently give birth to another generation of people that will hate the US? According to a variety of reports, there have been quite a number of civilian casualties in our attacks in Pakistan. We need to start realizing the role that "collateral damage" plays in fueling the problem with "terrorism". [edit on 9-10-2008 by kawz1]

I agree with what your saying...I was merely suggesting that this might be a strategy by a general officer somewhere in the local area who should have it re-looked at. Instead of taking measures into their own hands they should try to focus on making another ally in the region instead of another enemy. Pakistan has expressed the "want" to help us. Hell they have even detained and taken out terrorists in the region. However they want to approach it differently. It would only make sense for the US just to respect the wishes of a potential ally....or enemy.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

top topics

join