It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Catfish?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The fabled 'Killer Catfish' tale is back.

The source is the SUN, so take it for what it is. With this in mind, the outline of the story seems somewhat credible.

They reckon that a huge type of catfish, called a goonch, may have developed a taste for flesh in an Indian river where bodies are dumped after funerals.

I have heard the 'stories' before, but held very little validity.
This one however, where they have been 'supposedly' feasting on decaying human remains (cooked too), may be feasible.

Locals have believed for years that a mysterious monster lurks in the water. But they think it has moved on from scavenging to snatching unwary bathers who venture into the Great Kali, which flows along the India-Nepal border.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Theres nothing about this that does not seem feasible considering the one caught in Thailand that was almost 9 feet/2.7 meters long and weighed 646lbs/293kilo.
I've caught some 20 pounders out of the river at night and their teeth can easily bite through the palm of a hand (a hand that regularly chops firewood with an axe mind you
)
There is also the story in Gate City Virgina of the mine that flooded suddenly and turned into a huge lake and is now the city water supply. Divers went down to survey the bottom to check the flow rates and to see what all is down there and they said (just hear say) that the catfish where as big as them and they are absolutely not going back in.

Not something that happens everyday but defanatly not impossible.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yep! Don't want to go noodlin' for catfish! Them suckers can HURT when they chomp down on your hand.
(For those of you who aren't fishermen or survivialists, noodling is something like tickling a trout. First you gain it's confidence then you abuse it. Catfish like to lie in wait next to rocks or tree stumps. If you have a pretty good idea where one is waiting, and you are stupid enough, or hungry enough, you can put your hand into the water, and if he's there, he'll take the bait.(your hand). But it could just as easily be a cottonmouth. You pays your money and you takes your chances

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Grailkeeper

It also says that the story will be covered in Five’s Nature Shock series, which starts on October 14 and the Flesh Eating River Monster is on October 21 at 8pm.

Cant put the pic here from the sun for legal reasons (copyright) but it can be viewed here.

img.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I read about the show they were doing but it's not something we get in our area

Hopefully when it aires, someone will post the pros & cons about it.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I watched a PBS special about noodling in Alabama? These are some of the craziest jugheads I've ever seen. Some use strings, but the purists use their hands. Many have lost fingers to snapping turtles, biggin catfish.
Some their lives to cottonmout snakes. It was unreal. Most were named Bubba, Jed, or Shorty lol.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
In europe we have the "silure"(silure glanis) a type of catfish, they can reach 3 meters, i'm pretty sure they can get bigger, they are know for eating small dog and ducks and it was even said that some of them had swallow little babies.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join