It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Zero Dollar Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

The Zero Dollar Bill

www.designrelated.com

Artist Laura Gilberts' print 'The Zero Dollar' protesting the breakdown of the American economy. Gilbert distributed 10,000 of the fake greenbacks in front of the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008 to call attention to the economic crisis gripping the nation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   

She says the artwork is meant to be a statement about "the destructive role of many financial institutions, inflation, and the decline of U.S. currency to the point of seeming worthlessness."

This gimmick is clever as hell, imo. Even though she is using publicity to promote her upcoming gallery, I still find it patriotic.

I just hope it doesn't flatten out to "0."

Keep the perspectives coming, I say.

AAC

www.designrelated.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I don't know about over in America but here in Australia you can do jail time for even trying to copy a $5 note

But i can see her point And yes you are correct this gimmick is clever

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by duffster

I thought the same thing, however I believe she circumvented the law by making it worthless.

AAC

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It's not a copy and it say's zero. It's a piece of art work - though I don't know the exact laws on that stuff - I've never had to deal with the secret service.

I Know that if you tried to pass them off as something they're not you could be jailed.

Interesting that when I saw this on CNN today the reporter went to several street vendors and asked if they would take it, eventually a guy selling smoothies that were advertised for three dollars accepted the Zero Dollar bill Art in trade for a smoothie.

Zero dollar apparently is worth at least 3 one dollar bills, at least to one person.

I think that's a great idea - we should quit using the corrupt Federal Reserves Funny money and trade with something else. At least Saddam Husein had that part right. What could they do as long as were not passing them off as dollars. I suppose we'd have to pay tax on the transaction, but we could say it's worth 1 cent if we wanted.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Zero dollar apparently is worth at least 3 one dollar bills, at least to one person.

I think that's a great idea - we should quit using the corrupt Federal Reserves Funny money and trade with something else.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

Very funny. And as usual, whatever works.

AAC

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The only law if you can call it that for using real notes as art work is you have to remove the "This Note is Legal Tender For All Debits, Public and Private" part.

At least that's what the Secret Service told me and A friend Back in high school when we scanned a twenty on a school computer so we could make note pads in his graphic arts class. And his teacher thought we were trying to counterfeit the bill. and he called the SS on us

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Even if someone got it into their heads to try and make it apply as currency, what's a shopkeeper going to say about it?

I'm sure there won't be any legal issues with this. It'd be far too sil- wait a minute, she's probably going to the same jail that cannibals and child-molesters go to.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
That is a well thought out gimmick.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
George W Bush should be on the bill.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Here's the clincher. In a few years time, when the dollar's massive trade deficit has caught up with it, this Zero dollar bill will probably be worth more than a hundred dollar bill.

After all, its artwork and at a limited run of 100,000 its a damn sight rarer than a real dollar bill.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

I believe it may look a little something like this:

But if the bail outs and such continues and inflation takes hold in the US, this one may be more useful, a trillion dollar bill:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Here's the clincher. In a few years time, when the dollar's massive trade deficit has caught up with it, this Zero dollar bill will probably be worth more than a hundred dollar bill.

After all, its artwork and at a limited run of 100,000 its a damn sight rarer than a real dollar bill.

How ironic?
Very true!

AAC

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Cool. I like it.

Now, who's doing the artwork for a -$1.00 bill?

It sure would introduce a new concept for negative numbers! Holding onto them means that you're forever in debt!

Think of it as the anti-currency!

[edit on 10-10-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePiemaker
George W Bush should be on the bill.

I can't believe people gave you stars for that ignorance.

When are you guys going to stop focusing on the puppets instead of those pulling the STRINGS????

David Rockefeller should be on the note.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Funny part is, US currency IS negative in value. Each bill represents a net loss of value for the people. Such is the nature of a fiat currency system :/

top topics

join