It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brisbane Council orders ex-soldier to take down 'offensive' Aussie flag

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Brisbane Council orders ex-soldier to take down 'offensive' Aussie flag

www.news.com.au

A BRISBANE council has ordered an ex-soldier to take down the Australian flag outside his house because a neighbour says it is "offensive".

Aaron Wilson erected the 5m high flagpole eight weeks ago, in honour of his friends who served in Iraq, The Courier-Mail reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So is this what is to become of our nation(s)?

We have too be mindful of others feelings to the extent that our own national flag shouldn't be displayed incase of offense towards others.

Is this what we want?
Is this what we need?

Would it be a fair call too call this an effect of multi-culturalism?
How many other Aussies would complain about another flying the national flag?
It is a sad and pathetic day when the imported minorities can change your culture because it doesn't abide by their belifes and culture.

No wonder there are Ethnic clashes such as Cronulla.

Generations have fought and died under our flag, how disrespectful.

What do other Patriots think, not just here but around the globe?

What would you say too me over in America or the UK or even China, if I told you too take your flag down because it was offensive too me?

I bet you would be incredibly angry, just as I am now.

What an insult!!

Cheers. (incredibly proud Aussie), Fox.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

(EDIT: Typo.)

[edit on 8/10/08 by fox_3000au]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Fox,

I'm in the US and heaven help anyone who would try that here. It's the national flag and I've always liked the layout anyway. I hope he's allowed to keep it in place.

Best of luck to him. Keep up the fight!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I wonder who just in fact found it offensive???

Apparently the mayor has given him a pardon... It looked like a fairly sturdy flagpole to me, I don't think it was about to fall over or anything.

Lot's of people can have much worse structures in their yards.

But people shouldn't clamp up and go "oh no, it's the ethnics!"

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If I were told to take down my American flag, I would erect another personal flag to the complaintant that resides between my index and ring finger. My next statement would be "What's more offensive? My flag flying in the breeze, or your body in a hospital bed? Your choice!"

As an American that honestly appreciates the Aussie people for their strong support and contributions to US efforts throughout history and the fact that they are just crazy fun people to party with, I fully support Mr Wilson and hope that he can prevail against the closed minded, bigot that cast that insane complaint against him.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Apparently the council wont be enforcing anything. This all started over a neighbours complaint and it comes down to the flag pole structure not the flag. There was a guy from the council on the radio saying that they are working to remove regulations on flag poles. I don't know his name sorry I just missed the start of the interview.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

The flagpole is definately not going too fall over, it was mearly a deviation ploy by the council too justify a more modest explaination and divert attention away from the "ethnic" side of te origional complaint, they are trying too avoid a conflict, their alternative explaination is merly a band-aid.

What other Australian, would find the national flag offensive?

That is after all what the original complaint was about, not the flag-pole itself.

I suppose these "Aussies" complain about our National Anthem being sung at all of our major events also?

I'm starting too get sick of all this PC rubbish, instead of calling it how it is, we tippy toe around the real source and push it aside and the more we do it, the more we will see instances such as this arise.

The person that answered the phone at the Council office should have just hung the phone up as soon as he/she heard anything along the lines of "The Australian flag is offensive too me."

Fox.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

Of course the council is going too say that the complaint was about the flag-pole, why would they say it was anything else?

The original complaint was about the 'Flag being OFFENSIVE".... not the flag-pole being a certain distance away from the curb.

It would be like the Treasurer appearing on the media and admitting that the countries economy is in a crisis becasue of him.

Anyhow, I'm not going too comment for a while just in case I get labled for inciting rascism, because that is what will become of this, just like the council has blammed it on being the flag-pole and not the flag itself too avoid the flaming.

Thanks all for your posts.

Stay true too your country and stand up for your rights.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
If I were told to take down my American flag, I would erect another personal flag to the complaintant that resides between my index and ring finger. My next statement would be "What's more offensive? My flag flying in the breeze, or your body in a hospital bed? Your choice!"

My thoughts exactly..
If I had a flag that I seen appropriate and a neighbor was calling the government about it, saying it "offends" them, they might find a couple rotten deer carcuses in their swimming pool, some burnt motor oil down their well and a 70lb bag of Quikcrete in the back of their commode when they come home.

You can read a newspaper through people's skin nowdays, they get offended over everything.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Does anyone know if the neighbor is a recent arrival or if its just a neighbor with a grudge?

I personally would not pull it down in fact i would be tempted now to put up all three flags lol.
I would hope the flag pole was properly installed,otherwise the neighbor may actually have a legit complaint.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

I doubt that it's a neighbour with a grudge, but then again, people will complain about anything these days simply becasuse it's been drummed into our heads that one person can make a change.

Just like "Santa" has been banned in some schools.

Why the Gold Coast meter maids are too be a thing of the past....

Etc, Etc...

Cheers, Fox.

Love the suggestion about the three flags.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fox_3000au
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

Why the Gold Coast meter maids are too be a thing of the past....

They are stopping the hotties with the free coins? Are you kidding? I have watched programs that describe the Gold Coast girls. /drool
Hotties in swimsuits, cowboy hats and coin purses that keep the meters from expiring and putting the tax collecting meter maids out of business. So rocks.

As to the three flags, someone should contact him and tell him he needs to do just that.

In America, all the rage here is "I'll Sue". People will sue over anything and nothing. Its why the law schools are always full and there is a legal council office on every corner of every major metro in the nation.
Pathetic the lows some will stoop too.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
How devoid does your life have to be of meaning to complain about a neighbor putting in a 15' high flagpole with your national flag on it?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
"Logan City mayor Pam Parker said she backed Mr Wilson but could not rule out his having to move the flagpole.

``I am offended that somebody should complain to the council about the Australian flag, and whoever they are should hang their head in shame,'' she told ABC Radio."

At least the Major of Logan City, sees some sense in what is essentially PC gone wrong.

There will be some harsh words spoken in the chambers today thanks to some idiot officials making her look unpatriotic, she should sack them.

Next they will get him on a technicality, because there are regulatory guidlines on how you should hang the flag. (eg; distance from pole side of flag from the pole itself.)

Fox.

source: www.news.com.au...

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I find it sad that he was asked to take it down, he's showing his respect and love for his country.

What I find even sadder is that the only time I see anyone in the uk flying the St George flag is when England is in the World cup people olny see to care about our lads that fight for our country is when one or 10 are killed or on rememberance day.

GOOD ON THOSE WHO FLY YOUR FLAGS FOR YOUR COUNTRY KEEP DOING IT

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here in Texas, many natives build a "fort" as decor in their front yards, complete with a US and/or TX flag. Usually some other flags like Marine ensign, POW flag, etc. Some even lighted at night, that sort of thing. As I drivie into town tomorrow, I'll count how many yardflags I pass on the way to work.

Some Brits who were visiting were flabbergasted. They said the Union Jack is now used for a football team, and is otherwise seen as racist because its used by the British National Party (i think?).

Here, flags help to reduce crime.

most home invaders can see the 30-ft lighted flagpole and POW flags along with a navy, marine, or national guard troop flag, and figure the home is stoutly defended. Better pickings someplace where folks are not quite so.....doctrinnaire.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by derangedinsanity
I find it sad that he was asked to take it down, he's showing his respect and love for his country.

What I find even sadder is that the only time I see anyone in the uk flying the St George flag is when England is in the World cup people olny see to care about our lads that fight for our country is when one or 10 are killed or on rememberance day.

GOOD ON THOSE WHO FLY YOUR FLAGS FOR YOUR COUNTRY KEEP DOING IT

This is utterly ridiculous! There is absolutely no mention of anyone ethnic as a complainant. All Mr. Wilson has to do is move back the flag post by a mere 1.5 meters from the kerb so as not to contravene the Queensland Development Code. This would permit him to fly the flag. Yet he's unwilling to do that. I suspect he's one of those chronically belligerent military types who are just out there trying to take on society/government and hoping to get their 5 minutes worth of fame for their cause.

top topics

join