It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Md. Police Put Activists' Names On Terror Lists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Md. Police Put Activists

www.washingtonpost.com

"I don't believe the First Amendment is any guarantee to those who wish to disrupt the government," he said. Hutchins said he did not notify Ehrlich about the surveillance. Ehrlich spokesman Henry Fawell said the governor had no comment.

The police also entered the activists' names into the federal Washington-Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area database, which tracks suspected terrorists. One well-known antiwar activist from Baltimore, Max Obuszewski, was singled out in the intelligence logs released by the ACLU, which described a "primary crime" of "terrorism-anti-government" and a "secondary crime" of "terrorism-anti-war protesters."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Techsnow]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is pretty disturbing news imo.

Peaceful protesters are now being notified that they are on a terrorist watch list for protesting the Maryland death penalty.

There is no explanation as to the justification of this list just a letter in the mail to the would-be terrorists. I suppose this all boils down to that lovely patriot act.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

It is the police and the government who are terrorizing the citizens of this country! They are the ones who should be on the watch list...in fact, we the people should begin our own terror watch list and distribute it to everybody we know. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney should be at the top, followed by these MD pigs!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes...it's definitely disturbing news. There's some discussion about this topic
here.

sorry...I thought I knew how to link to the other thread on this topic, but it seems I didn't something wrong. I tried to fix it a couple of times, but I'm still unable to do so. Hopefully someone else will post the link.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by cornblossom]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Law enforcement activism. Let me be the first to create the term.
Now cops are activists.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Remember - NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE!

Google Video Link

Once the state begins to identify the concerns of citizens as a threat to their 'establishment' we have reached the point of crisis.

"Activist" police actions such as this fit the category of fascism and oppression.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Though the Sachs report offers the first independent account of a 14-month surveillance operation that has sparked outrage among Maryland activists across the political spectrum, it does not answer key questions, including when the state police began monitoring political groups, and who ordered the undercover tactics.

"I don't think we know the answer to that," Sachs said in an interview yesterday. "The search for culprits, frankly, may be futile," he said, because the problem was "systemic."
[1]

The report included a number of recommendations to ensure that safeguards are in place to protect the individual liberties of citizens. All of these recommendations have been accepted by the Maryland State Police, including:

* The Maryland State Police will formulate binding regulations that govern covert surveillance of "advocacy" or "protest" groups.
[2]

A full copy of the Sachs Report can be found here:
www.governor.maryland.gov...

From the 'explosive' report:

There was, of course, no basis for suggesting that the subjects of the investigation at issue here had any involvement in terrorism. For conduct to qualify as “domestic terrorism” under the definition in federal criminal law, for example, there must be, within the territory of the United States, (a) “acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State” and (b) an intent to “intimidate or coerce” a civilian population or a government or an intent to “affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping.” 18 U.S.C. § 2331(5). Here, there was no criminal conduct at all, and no planning for criminal conduct.

The subjects of MSP’s investigation are, in a particularly meaningful respect, the opposite of terrorists: they are individuals committed to changing the policies or conduct of the government through strictly non-violent means.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Tec, this has already happened in the UK, all the ill informed people who said Oh this legislation is for terrorists are now finding out it can be applied to anyone which is what I and millions of others have said for years. Were going to need a tow truck to pull the veil off some of the people.

new topics

top topics

join