It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Bibles alter form -- not word -- to draw readers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

New Bibles alter form -- not word -- to draw readers

www.businessweek.com

While the Bible has been recreated and repackaged innumerable times, publishers of the newest editions are using some distinctly unique formats to capture the attention of readers.

It's difficult to capture how many different versions of the Bible are sold each year. But the Book Industry Study Group estimates that Bibles, testaments, hymnals and prayer books were a $795.2 million market in 2007.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Its the all-time best seller. And rightly so. Whatever package the Truth comes in that suits your fancy, I say get a copy and read, listen, or look at it.

In times of hardship, people turn to the Bible for inspiration and guidance. Funny how many only think they need God when times are tough. They never stop to think that times get tough because they don't think they need God in their lives, and turn away from His teachings to follow their own selfish pursuits.

When everything falls apart, they blame God, or His absence. They claim He is evil, or that He doesn't exist at all.

You can't keep God on the back burner, "just in case." When will we learn?

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

They never stop to think that times get tough because they don't think they need God in their lives, and turn away from His teachings to follow their own selfish pursuits.

I know where you're coming from my friend. We do need to be cautious that we don't sound like we are putting people down for following their inherited way of life, though, as we were all once like the person you describe, and would have remained so but for God's own gracious touch, and the Word, as you point out.

Even now I have to admit I sometimes fit your description. Thank God he redeemed me!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Amen, brother. I am speaking from personal experience, as well. I in no way intend to come across as "holier than thou", although that sometimes appears to be the case.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What "God" are we talking about? The Christian deity? Why did He mess up with the old testament and have to make the new one?

Why are they making new Bibles? Only to sell to more readers and convert more to their religions, not because the truth is within it, that's not why at all. This is a money scam, not a truthful endeavor.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Just to answer your first point: the Old Testament is an illustrative foreshadowing and literal foretelling of the New from beginning to end. The New Testament is the fulfillment. I, and millions of others familiar with both maintain that there is no contradiction between the two, anywhere. Claims to the contrary are based on urban myth, and, not to put too fine a point on it, on ignorance of the texts, which combine and intertwine to present a single overarching theme: Jesus Christ.

Here it is, from the horse's mouth (if I can say that reverently,) on the day Christ rose from the dead:

...beginning with Moses and with all the Prophets, he explained to them the things concerning himself in all the Scriptures [i.e. throughout the OT]...

Then he said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things that are written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled... Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day; and that repentence for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all the nations..."

Luke 24:27 then 44,46&47

The whole intention and purpose of the Old Testament was to prepare for the New, i.e. for Christ.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Very well said, and I couldn't agree more.

Again, this is the thing that gets me. Those with superficial knowledge, or none at all, of the Bible, and an axe to grind against religion in general and God in particular, attach their worldly perspective to the spiritual movement that is Christianity. They can't help but be negative about something of which they have no real understanding. They are trapped in materialism, in bondage to sin and death under the letter of the law, and they spurn the one lifeline that can truly save them. Talk about the devil having his day!

Experts say Bible sales tend to rise in times of war and economic crisis. And the Book Industry Study Group says a Bible publishing boom is indeed under way. The market size has grown steadily over the past several years and is expected to jump in the coming years. The group estimates the market will reach $823.5 million this year -- growth other publishing categories might covet.

Yet time and again when the outlook is bleak, those with hope in their hearts are drawn to the saving grace that Christ offers to all. In spite of the hate and derision and fearmongering of those perishing around them, they reach out in faith and receive the living water that vanquishes all thirst forevermore. Praise God!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Then it must be okay for me, as a mere mortal containing no eternal life just like the rest of you, that lives and dies as this creature never to return again yet experiencing an eternal existence and could never be reborn off of a cross from the grave from God, to re-write an entirely new Bible as long as it is consistent and fulfills the predictions and testimonies of the other testaments. Perhaps I'll call mine the third testament of the Christian Bible and Christian God, while every other religion is ignored and those in them are going to Hell.

Christ rising from the dead, you mean the Sun? I'm sure it rose in the West, too?

If this is the God that you believe in and the Bible is his honest word then there is a lot of explaining to be done.

It's also interesting to note that the Humans of the Old Testament times must have all been Psychics. I'm yet to meet an honest psychic and a consistent psychic. I have come across a few that have made lucky guesses, albeit EASY guesses that were attached to scheduled events such as telling me that a bus was sensed to be coming, when it came at the same time every morning
, etc.

So, are you aware that this religion was built from the minds of psychics that had a special power that no one else had? The ability to use invisible deities, lies and deceptions to rule the people and control the future!

[edit on 13-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

No, sir. The Bible is superficial knowledge, that's why we call a study of it, a belief in its Deities and Immortal men, to be faith... not knowledge. You can have knowledge of the Bible, but the Bible itself is not a representation of knowledge, it is one of faith.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Hello Lovey

When you posed your questions I replied in good faith, expecting a reasoned discourse. All you have done is respond with facetious derision and red herrings.

In such cases replies serve no purpose. You clearly believe the Bible is devoid of knowledge and you are full of it...

Perhaps other posters will be able to engage in meaningful discussion.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I was not being facetious, I was presenting scenarios, real possible scenarios, and real scenarios that have already happened, along with truth.

Your resignation on this issue is recognized.

top topics

join